Verizon is the devil...not just Aim anymore

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21050
Sup peeps? It's rant time! Pull up a chair.

I recently left this world we sometimes call sanity and had to dance with our friend Verizon to get my DSL back after it went down on me last week. Man did I have to jump through hoops. What little I was able to do I had to do it driving around with my laptop in my truck searching for someone Else's signal I could steal. I just have too much going on to go 2 weeks without the net. Ebay, tent rentals, Craigslist, emails, ect.....

Last Thursday my DSL goes down at 8pm. Happens from time to time so I gave it until the morning. Dead. So I call Verizon on Friday. "Well sir because it's a holiday weekend we won't have anyone available to come out until next week."

Paul starts to freak a bit. That holiday weekend I had 3 tent and 2 moon bounce rentals I needed to confirm and follow up on. It was going to be busy and email is the only way I had to communicate with these peeps.

Like most I check my email at least 15-20 times a day. If I don't after one day I have 10-15 emails that need addressed. I can't imagine going a week or two! That task can NOT be easily remedied by going to the library.

So I'm forced to wing it. Just me and my laptop, and every unsecured network in my range for 6 days. In and out it would go. I had my kids this past weekend too so every time I needed to check my email they had to be packed in the truck as well.

Wednesday. Technician arrives. All my lines inside and out of my home are hot. Strong signals everywhere. Turns out my modem was dead. Naturally he doesn't have one in his truck. I mean, why would he? He only works for Verizon on a call about lost DSL service. Leave all those modems back at the hub where they do customers better.

So he promises to swing one by the next day, (yesterday). No dice. He doesn't answer his cell either. Maybe he's dead, I don't know. So about my 4th call into Verizon and many beers later I'm now being told a new modem will be sent out to me via mail and should arrive within 3-5 business days. That's going into late next week already. Get this. When the technician came out he switched a few wires in my junction box to give me a better signal for my DSL. Whatever. Just do your thing I told him. Well when he leaves I check my phone service and now THAT'S dead. Moron did something wrong and now my land line doesn't work.

Yup. Paul wacks out on them. I call and get the run around and that another technician will be out next Tuesday to look at my phone issue. After I hang up I decide to take this into my own hands. I'm losing $100s over this and all I can get out of the Indians over the phone is "yes sir, I understand your frustration, if you would please calm down we can assist you better".

No they don't understand. They truly don't. When you want a new service installed they show up immediately. When you have a problem though it takes weeks and it gets "handled" by a "representative" who speaks broken English 9000 miles away. Don't even attempt to convince me you care.

Wait. There's more.

So off to the store I go to get myself the $#!@! modem. The first one I bring home is only the router. Does me no good unless it's a modem as well. The dweeb with the bright shirt and fancy plastic name tag pointed to it so naturally I assumed he was somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. SURPRISE!He's not

I said screw those tards and went to Radio Shack. They're expensive but at this point I was determined to win the war. They have fancier name tags too so I figured..........

Get it home. Hook it up.......................Nothing. Not a $#!@#!$!#!% thing happens. I feel the modem. It's getting hot and the internet light isn't on. I check the box. All the seals on the manuals and such were broken and because I was so certain this was my finish line I didn't notice when I opened every thing. It was then I realized I bought a returned item.

See any humor in this anywhere yet? I hadn't had the energy to cry, just mumble a bit under my breath while twitching as I stared at my blank computer screen.

Back to RS I went and got the same story as always. "We're sorry sir. Another associate must have placed this item back on the shelves instead of in the back room". I know that's where I would put defective items. Back on the shelf right? That's common sense. $7/hr doesn't get much these days.

The Steeler/Titan game is starting now and I finally get my azz home with a new modem. It's like 8:30 and I've been at this all day. Modem turns on fine. Internet light comes on like it should. SUCCESS!

Wait........Yes wait

Because it's not a Verizon modem it needed to be configured first before it can be used. That was only a one hour phone call with Netgear. Shelly was my case worker. Lovely voice. If I met her I would probably offer her a Pepsi or something. Down to Earth girl.

Modem is configured. All lights are on and we have a go from Houston. 3...2...1 LAUNCH THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!! I'm trembling with excitement. All the things I've missed. The emails, Youtube vids, Craigslist ads, Ecoustics, Ebay sales, Google Earth, you name it I was about to be reunited with my old friend. Then...................

Verizon page blankets my screen. I'm curious. That's not my homepage. Let me type it again. Same thing. This is odd. I decide to read it:

"We're sorry. Because your account is under review we have disabled access. Please contact a Verizon representative. Thank you and have a great day."

The Steeler game is half over, I have like 7 beers in me and this fiasco has me so beat that all I wanted to do was take one of my son's baseball bats and do myself justice with the world. After all that I've been through and all the crap I've dealt with they suspend my DSL service because I have an open service "ticket" pending. That "ticket" was for the phone repair service scheduled for next week. You know, when the moron fiddled with the box and knocked out my land line service?

My battery is dying on my cell phone since my land line doesn't work and it's like 10:30pm. I have a low battery warning flashing on my phone and I pray it's enough for this one last call to Verizon. "Sir I cannot activate your account until all issues have been resolved. It will take an additional couple of days for corporate to resolve these matters, in the mean time is there anything else I can help you with?"

Sure. How about guzzling a gallon of drayno? I assured her this time that if my account wasn't activated this pm then I wanted all my Verizon services terminated. Phone, internet and cell. I told her I didn't even want to see Verizon ad inserts in my newspaper. I told her I would consider it stalking. She turned it on. Good little Indian.

So I wake up this am. It's raining and the wind is howling, but I have internet! I convince myself that my efforts were justified and that Paul won the battle/war. The planets are aligned and angels sing once again. Then life reminds you your place in this world...........

I get a quick knock on my front door and I hear a truck pull away. Small box wrapped in plastic on my front step. "I didn't buy anything recently" scratching my head.

It's from Verizon. They overnited a new modem to me.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7673

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21051

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4948
I feel for ya. I had my router go down in july.
My wife says, hey my laptop isnt connecting to EI, So i reset the router, and then my internet on the PC goes down...Couldnt set it up again, cause I lost all info needed to do that.
Bought a netgear at BB, and everthing went back to norman.

Last week, My phone, Land,cell, web service, thru Verizon was shut off.
Had to make a phone payment, 2 hours later the cells, land line are back, but the web just displays a verizon logo, saying to contact them...
So the rep says turn off the modem, then on again, bingo. Back online.

But yes, it can be very frustrating. It only reinforces the lifestyle that ppl lead today. Having no internet is almost as bad as having the water/gas/ or electric shut off.

Glad you got it fixed.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21060
Yes it's an eye opener for sure.

What I hate the most is that I pay for the month's service and get this BS when it doesn't work. Their technicians are trained to diagnose your problem so it looks like the problem is within "your" responsibility", making any repairs your problem.

We'll see what happens when this fool comes back on the 17th. He'll probably say my equipment is bad or some chit and want to charge me. That's when I say......

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10533
that shirt sums up a lot of what i think about a LOOOT of people. i love you for posting this pic!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6538
that sucks computers are a b;tch and so are indians trying to give tech service.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10658
Verizon sux.... thats why I've got Comcast for cable/internet/landline and ATT for cell.

With comcast it goes down for brief times here and there but I've never had a serious outage. And its super fast since I live down the street from the service center one junction off the fiber backbone line.

And with cell service here if you don't got ATT you got crap.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5322
Verizon most definately does not suck. I, and most of my friends have been using them for the last 10 years with very few issues. I have dealt with them many times on the phone and they have always been great. They will do whatever it takes to help you -- some of my friends pay whatever they can afford each month when times are tough.... say $30 of a $57 bill, and Verizon is always fine with that as long as you let them know. I have been on the road and forgot to pay bills, and with one quick call everything is cool. Never had even one issue in dealing with them dozens of times. Of course this new internet venture will have hiccups and snags in the beginning, everything does, but Verizon is a very good and honest organization and they will get it right.

@ M.S.: Saying AT&T rules and Verizon sucks is amazing. Got any more jokes there Skippy?
More people have bought unlocked iPhones and used them with their Verizon (or anything other than AT&T) accounts than any phone in history.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2919
gsm phone on a cdma network?...

i do get service for my phone pretty much anywhere (verizon). only reason i'm thinking of switching to at&t when my contract is up is for the 3gs. buuut then you have all the rumors of iphone on verizon... who knows.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5325
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKyabqZDumE&feature=related

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7681
I fart3d
just fyi

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6539
it depends on your area i guess but i have att and verizon cell phones for work and get better service with the att one.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2920
well apparently my problem now lies purchasing an unlocked 3gs off ebay for $700...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21071
For cell phone coverage and reliability Verizon is echelon I don't argue that. It just seems when it rains it pours with me. Had I simply waited one additional day my headache would've been over but I simply grew far too impatient with the system and decided to row against the current to get somewhere faster.

You know I never did hear back from the technician who was supposed to bring me my modem. No call back after the messages I left for him either. Seeing as he is the one responsible for my phone outage it's going to be interesting what the next guy says is wrong and who is going to pay for it.

I'm paying more for my cell phone usage now seeing as that is the only way anyone can get a hold of me. My ex will call me and want to talk for 30 minutes while she plays Farkle on Facebook. Then she'll pass the phone to my son who is playing Farmtown on his laptop. Then to my daughter, ect........ all on my dime lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10534
i agree with brad about Verizon, which is why i didnt say anything about your issue. b/c they have never let me down in the past. but now that i have read about unlocked iphones i may need to investigate this!! ilove those iphones.

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1843
Paul...I had the EXACT same experience with Verizon and my internet and phone in my Florida home....twice in past 4 years...was down off net for 3 weeks both times, and phone for 2 weeks....got nothing but script reading from foreign tech reps ...and finally 2 morons show up on service calls, weeks later about internet, and neither even owned a computer and were outdoor linesman....lol

needless to say I requested a new modem each time and solved my own problems...about the net...

and my verizon phone/landline drops calls 20 times a week for past 10 years..but verizon has sent 100 techs to the house and tells me all inside phones and lines are all ok,and their sub station is ok...lol..

and my home in Mass, I have comcast..and both internet and phone work great most always..and I also use the magic jack (MJ) for a 2nd line which I love...works great for me, except for a rare ocassional echo (not all have same results as me with the MJ, computer and location alter their efficiency) ...and all my dealings with comcast customer reps has been excellent..

verizon customer service is just awful compared to comcast...at least comcast techs do respond quickly (same day) and resolve most issues if ya ever have any issues,... and their customer reps are not script readers, and are local (within 100 miles)...U know how it is when ya talk to a customer service rep in the Phillipines, Pakistan or India and all they do is script read and cannot speak English nor really understand anything... its frustrating

and i'm switching to comcast in my Florida home, next month when I leave Mass and return to Florida..may cost a lil more but its worth it...and if ya keep grabbing their 6 month or 1 year promo's , comcast its very reasonable then..$66 month (unlimited phone and internet)...$99 with TV and 3 package bundle..and no crazy outrageous "taxes" that verizon charges, that cost almost as much as the services...lol

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10664
Didnt say they were the best... just that comcast is 2x as fast as verizon for internet here.... no FIOS planned for anytime soon. And that ATT has 18 cell antennas vs verizons 2... no suprise you get 6 bars with ATT and 1 with a verizon phone. Sprint you get no service at all. Sure it all depends on location but thats how it is here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us