HU decisions

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3653
since I can't and don't expect to find an alpine CDA 9886 for closer to $200

I think I'm in between these two clarions, they are virtually the same thing, one just has a "nicer" display:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6276

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6275

$270 :-(
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6183

what does everyone think?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 19995
Haha I feel your pain. That Alpine would be sweet. I'd have to take the first Clarion if I had to chose between them. Front USB is just too much of a nice feature.

P.S. Too funny seeing a car audio thread in the OT section when it's usually the other way around.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3532
Coulda posted this in the subwoofer section lol but oh well. The 9886 is a little cheaper here:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10750_Alpine+CDA-9886.html

And the DXZ585USB is a little cheaper here too:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11770_Clarion+DXZ585USB.html

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3654
Yeah I'm really liking that first well as well Paul. And I put it here because there is more traffic in the OT section than the HU section, and there are less idiots from the subwoofer section that visit the OT section :-)

Steve, like I said last time, it's not subwoofer related so I don't like to contribute lol. That's why I post here.

On that note, thanks for the links! That price is getting closer and closer, and the price on the clarion is really tempting me now!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19997
Great legwork man! Every dollar counts.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10020
can't save 50 more dollars and get the 9886?

If you want front USB, which is the best feature ever BTW, go with a JVC KD-AR880 for the same price as that clarion with a nicer display.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2740
Get the second clarion HU, Thieves. I run it myself, and you will enjoy it alot more than the JVC.

It has USB that also accepts ipods. It has timing alignment, gain control, active support, and other useful features.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3657
eh, I don't really like the JVC, and the HU is kinda a bday present and I don't have much money, that's why I want to keep it close to 200 if not under. otherwise I would love the 9886.

Nick V, why do you suggest the second over the first? they are pretty much the same besides the display, right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2742
They are about the same. The display is the main difference. Also the first one has front USB, the second has it on a cord.

It just comes down to what display you like and also which USB you like.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3658
as far as the functions you just listed, they are equal, correct?

I do like the display better on the first, as I don't like just one solid color.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3659
there are separate inputs for USB and for Ipod on these units, is that correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2743
On mine, the USB is for both ipods and thumbdrives. There isn't two.

It is just listed as "USB" in the source menu.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3662
so I can't have both connected simultaneously?

If that's the case, I would have to have my ipod wire coming out of the front of the HU, right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2745

quote:

so I can't have both connected simultaneously?

Not through the USB input.

quote:

If that's the case, I would have to have my ipod wire coming out of the front of the HU, right?

Depends on the model you get. If you get the first one, then yes, your iPod cable will be running out the front of the headunit. If you get the second, you can run the USB cable to the glovebox, and keep your ipod and stuff in there since you will be controlling it from the hu anyway.

IMO, Ipods are getting out-dated. I can just stick my 16gb ($15) thumbdrive in the radio and be done with it. Instead of a $200 16gb iPod and have to worry about it messing up.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10026
Finally people are starting to realize how great USB is! And how over priced ipods are.

I started using a USB headunit when they first came out and have never owned an ipod...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2746

quote:

Finally people are starting to realize how great USB is!

People have known for a while how good USB is....

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3664
lol, I never praised USB or said it was great, I simply said I was interested, and it would be nice to haz both ipod and USB capabilities as I have both.

it would be nice because I can use my 16Gb thumbdrive as an on the go tool, and my ipod for the rest of my music.

That being said, I'm kinda put off by the clarion now. I got my original HU because i already had an ipod, so I want to still be able to use it with the next HU.

Any suggestions?
P.S. I use my ipod to walk around campus, I don't ONLY use it in teh car with my HU.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4668
So are you looking for new options? Again i will say Kenwood Exceleon line.
They are in your price range and have the features your looking for.

And I too have never owned an Ipod.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3665
New options yes.

I do like your unit, and a friend of mine was pretty nice and he never seemed to have probs with it, but the only kenwood I have ever owned started having disc eject problems. So I'm kinda hesitant about it.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4670
the exceloen line is key. Also the higher number ones. 700 and up.
The regular kenwoods are crap, for the most part.
and with usb..disks are obsolete. I've used my disk player once. Only because it had some test tones all ready on it.
I love the flash drives. So easy to reload em with new stuff, or delete old stuff. No more buying cd's to burn. no more piles of unknown cd's lying all over the van floor, scratched up and dirty.
I've got like 15 full albums on one 2gb drive.

But enough about me.
I've stated my view on HU preferance. GL.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20002
Well yeah mp3's take up less space than music on a cd but you give up quality for it. Let's face it. Most use USB for the quantity not quality. I guess since a 2 gig flash drive is like $20 or less you could always rip higher quality tracks and still have room left over. I love the little fuggers.

Giddy up.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4671
A lot of my files are 320Kbps. So its as near to cd quality as you can get. Some are as high as 486Kbps. I also use Lame to encode files.
A 5 minute song at 320kbps is about 12.5 megs. So

Congrads Paul on your Diamond Status.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20005
Hey thanks Marc.

When it comes to data storage it's only getting cheaper/smaller. I'd say we're less than 5-7 years away from HD video storage capable on a credit card sized medium, playable on a book sized device.

Just imagine your entire movie library encased in a notebook sized binder.

It's getting THAT intense/advanced.

Hell I'm old enough to remember Beta-max.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2748

quote:

it would be nice because I can use my 16Gb thumbdrive as an on the go tool, and my ipod for the rest of my music.

How hard is it to unplug your ipod from the USB input and plug in the thumb drive (or vice-versa)? lol

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4672
quote:

I think the opertive word there was "tool"

And I lost so much when they changed to VHS. All my "Dallas" was on Beta.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2749

quote:

I think the opertive word there was "tool"

Explain lol

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3668
hey hey hey! I'm lazy and like to have both in at the same time....lol (that's what she said)

good point though Nick. I'm on the fence now. I really like Marc's model, but I also like the clarion because I have a clarion EQ I've been meaning to install.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3710
I think I'll be going with the second clarion as my alpine's display decided to stop working. it only works, and I can only use the buttons when I push the faceplate in simultaneously. lol.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10210
Try cleaning the contacts, and check to make sure they aren't bent/damaged.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3635
That's Alpine for ya. lol jp

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3711
Well M.S. I had already been having problems with it when it got cold out, I had to wait sometimes for the screen to warm up for it to work properly or even turn on. then eventually, me dropping it a few too many times when I was putting in the case turned the problem into the screen not turning on unless I tapped it lol. then recently it won't turn on unless i hold the faceplate in, I also can't use the features unless I push the faceplate in lol. I see what you're saying about the contacts, I'll take a look at it when I have time, I've actually been meaning to lol. but besides the contacts being bent or damaged, I believe the problem is internally somewhere in the faceplate itself.

I've also had this thing for 3 years lol, and it's def held up to the abuse, and extreme climate changes in that time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us