Updates for "What are your goals this year"

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9223
Here's the link to the original thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/541246.html

So has anyone had any progress? I'm doing great with my cutting phase after the holiday goodies. I was at 177.5 on 1-4-09 and am now at 166.5(2-10-09) while maintaining my lean muscle mass. I hope everyone is progressing or reached their goals.

Bronze Member
Username: Will4992

NC

Post Number: 53
Well, i never posted in the original thread, but my goal is to get my bench up to 315. I started the year at 250 and I just maxed out at 275 on Tuesday.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3564
well I didn't have a real goal until about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to try and cut back down to near 190lbs, as I'm at 215lbs right now. Cycling and dieting is starting next week. I bought naNOvapor for the weights, I'm excited.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11092
I'm failing :-)

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 390
stay out of jail lol, so far so good. but if you dont hear from after the beginning of march then i failed

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3567
Yanks, what ever happened to my mag?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9224

quote:

Well, i never posted in the original thread, but my goal is to get my bench up to 315. I started the year at 250 and I just maxed out at 275 on Tuesday.

You can do that easily. 1-04-09 my max was a mere 205 but just yesterday I put up 285. I'm hoping to be benching 300 for sets of 8 around spring. If you want some tips on how to improve your max hit me up on AIM if you have it my SN is Getripped84

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9225

quote:

well I didn't have a real goal until about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to try and cut back down to near 190lbs, as I'm at 215lbs right now. Cycling and dieting is starting next week. I bought naNOvapor for the weights, I'm excited.

You can cut that fat in 12 weeks, notice how I didn't say WEIGHT? Pay attention to fat loss and not weight loss. Just cut back on your eating until you lose one to two pounds a week. If you're losing more than that you're probably burning up lean muscle mass. You don't even need to do cardio to get ripped, shredded or cut. The one thing that's good about cardio is what good is it if you look like a race horse but perform like a sloth.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3569
Well that's def what I was focusing on Rob, fat loss. I would love to weigh 185-190 at least mostly muscle. I'm a pretty big guy, so that would be a good weight for me.

What do you mean cut back on my eating? I am gonna start buying healthier food and eating at least 3 times a day, maybe four. As far as healthy, I mean cooked vegie's, salad, chicken breast, brown rice, pork, etc. (no seafood for me, yuck).

I'm doing the cycling cause I have a bad ankle and I need cardio to burn at least some of this gut off.

What do you suggest Rob?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9227
You don't need to do cardio at all for cutting body fat :-) All the cardio does is help your body go into a calorie deficit. You can do the same thing by eating less. I suggest full body training with weights, getting 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh(most suggest 1-1.5 grams per LEAN body mass but 1 gram per pound will eliminate a lack of protein), make sure you train legs and lats especially, they are your biggest muscles and can help to burn the most fat. The idea is to create a calorie deficit so that you're losing one to two pounds a week. All you need to do is adjust calorie intake until you reach that point, if you lost more than 2 pounds a week you're probably losing muscle mass which is terrible for you. Remember, it's not really what you eat while on a cut it's how many calories you eat that makes the biggest difference. You can actually eat nothing but donuts all week long and still lose body fat but I don't recommend that.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3571
Well doesn't cycling/cardio help with respiratory as well, I get winding going up to the third floor (where I live) these days. That's also another reason I wanted to do it.

So what do you suggest as far as caloric intake for me, so that I can lose close to 30lbs of fat (I'm assuming it's all fat)by the end of the semester if not sooner?

When you say "getting 1 gram of protein per pound," do you mean 215 grams of protein per day, through what I eat or drink?

And again, what exactly do you mean by eating less? Smaller serving size, or less meals per day?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9228

quote:

Well doesn't cycling/cardio help with respiratory as well, I get winding going up to the third floor (where I live) these days. That's also another reason I wanted to do it.

So what do you suggest as far as caloric intake for me, so that I can lose close to 30lbs of fat (I'm assuming it's all fat)by the end of the semester if not sooner?

When you say "getting 1 gram of protein per pound," do you mean 215 grams of protein per day, through what I eat or drink?

And again, what exactly do you mean by eating less? Smaller serving size, or less meals per day?

Cardio will help strengthen your heart for sure so it is good for that reason.

For caloric intake adjust it so that you're losing 2 pounds a week, there are too many factors to give you a set number. Nobody knows your body or how slow or fast your metabolism is, it's trial and error to figure it out. Adjust it to rate of weight(hopefully fat) loss. Anything over 2 pounds a week isn't good so eat more.

When I say 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh that's what I mean. If you weigh 215, take in 215 grams of protein. It's as simple as that and yes, through what you eat and drink.

By eating less I mean consume less calories, if you're not already losing 2 pounds a week it won't hurt to cut back on eating. More meals per day is a better idea to prevent muscle breakdown or prevent catabolism.

Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuh-tab-uh-liz-uhm] Show IPA Pronunciation
--noun Biology, Physiology.
destructive metabolism; the breaking down in living organisms of more complex substances into simpler ones, with the release of energy (opposed to anabolism ).-Dictionary.com

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11093
I'm still running the Mag right now Thieves.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11313
Mine specifically is to lose fat. Im 170 and going to drop down to 140 maybe less later.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9229

quote:

Mine specifically is to lose fat. Im 170 and going to drop down to 140 maybe less later.

Yea you are :-)

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 396
my goal is to get back up to 250 when i recover from my injuries. right now i sit at 220.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3707
Rob gave some great advice, he knows his stuff for sure. Although If I may make a few points of order...

1. Cardio vs. Diet - I agree with the point Rob was trying to make, you CAN lose fat with only diet and no cardio. However the same is true vice versa, you CAN lose fat with cardio and no dieting. I would never discourage any new trainee from doing at least some cardio, it's one of the best things you can do for your overall health. Furthermore if you have no level of conditioning, and try to start a lifting program, it'll be very grueling for you.

2. Quality of calories - Again I agree with Robs point, it ultimately comes down to "calories in vs. calories out", but there is something to be said for the quality of the calories as well, and the macro nutrients involved. If you were to eat nothing but donuts, sure it's not impossible to lose fat that way. However you would also have incredibly unhealthy muscles and your body would be a terribly inefficient fat burning machine.

Scroll down just a bit and there's a fantastic little overview of healthy sources of proteins, carbs, and fats...
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

Great for tracking calories if you want to do so (although that can be overwhelming sometimes for newbies)...
www.fitday.com

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4594
When I tried to pay my CC that week they paid the wrong one!! But no worry, I'm back on track and I plan to have my 2k CC or should I say its at $1800 down to $300. Then my $1k CC will be paid off or mostly paid off next week. Really depends since I kind of need $100 a week for gas/food and anything else.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9233

quote:

2. Quality of calories - Again I agree with Robs point, it ultimately comes down to "calories in vs. calories out", but there is something to be said for the quality of the calories as well, and the macro nutrients involved. If you were to eat nothing but donuts, sure it's not impossible to lose fat that way. However you would also have incredibly unhealthy muscles and your body would be a terribly inefficient fat burning machine.

Yep, that's why you should obtain most of your intake calories from protein. This will prevent your muscle from wasting away and it will help muscle tissue to repair after the damage from working out. A mostly meat diet is great for a cut assuming you're not eating more than you should, lean meats are key to get your desired protein levels by the way.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 413
Well im doing good in school as of right now so that goal is going good. I haven't spent money on anything I don't need, so that is still going good.

And I have lost 11 lbs since the first of the year. Not the greatest progress but it is better than none.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us