It's Not Just Talk

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4650
Chances are fairly good that someone will pull it off eventually. Pretty sad really...
The second planned attempt so far:

AP - Mon, Oct. 27, 2008 - WASHINGTON

Law enforcement agents have broken up a plot by two neo-Nazi skinheads to assassinate Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and shoot or decapitate 88 black people, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Monday.

In court records unsealed Monday in U.S. District Court in Jackson, Tenn., federal agents said they disrupted plans to rob a gun store and target a predominantly African-American high school in a murder spree that was to begin in Tennessee. Agents said the skinheads did not identify the school by name.

Jim Cavanaugh, special agent in charge of ATF's Nashville field office, said the two men planned to kill 88 African Americans, including 14 by beheading. The numbers 88 and 14 are symbolic in the white supremacist community.

The men also sought to go on a national killing spree after the Tennessee murders, with Obama as its final target, Cavanaugh told The Associated Press.

"They said that would be their last, final act -- that they would attempt to kill Sen. Obama," Cavanaugh said. "They didn't believe they would be able to do it, but that they would get killed trying."

The men, Daniel Cowart, 20, of Bells, Tenn., and Paul Schlesselman 18, of Helena-West Helena, Ark., are being held without bond. Agents seized a rifle, a sawed-off shotgun and three pistols from the men when they were arrested. Authorities alleged the two men were preparing to break into a gun shop to steal more.

The two men were arrested Oct. 22 by the Crockett County, Tenn., Sheriff's Office. "Once we arrested the defendants and suspected they had violated federal law, we immediately contacted federal authorities," said Crockett County Sheriff Troy Klyce.

Cowart and Schlesselman are charged with possessing an unregistered firearm, conspiring to steal firearms from a federally licensed gun dealer, and threatening a candidate for president.

The investigation is continuing, and more charges are possible, Cavanaugh said.

The court records say Cowart and Schlesselman also bought nylon rope and ski masks to use in a robbery or home invasion to fund their spree, during which they allegedly planned to go from state to state and kill people.

For the Obama plot, the legal documents show, Cowart and Schlesselman "planned to drive their vehicle as fast as they could toward Obama shooting at him from the windows."

"Both individuals stated they would dress in all white tuxedos and wear top hats during the assassination attempt," the court complaint states. "Both individuals further stated they knew they would and were willing to die during this attempt."

Cavanaugh said there's no evidence -- so far -- that others were willing to assist Cowart and Schlesselman with the plot.

He said authorities took the threats very seriously.

"They seemed determined to do it," Cavanaugh said. "Even if they were just to try it, it would be a trail of tears around the South."

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10534
Hope they get locked up for the rest of their lives. The world doesn't need any ignorant and simple minded people like this. Let 'em rot in jail.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8828
There's too many of them and it will never stop.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18672
I read it also. If Obama gets elected the SS will have their hands full to say the least.

I'm afraid if an attempt were deem successful that the country would spiral out of control in another race war.

Big question is would it be race war or something else.................

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3275
I completely agree Paul.

For the record, they wouldn't make it out of Texas if they planned to come down here....

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 774
Every President has numerous threats and keeps the SS very busy, but they do a tremendous job!...Obama will be no different or more at risk than any previous Presidents..there's always a few fruitcakes out there for some crazy cause or wacky reason...just look at John Hinkley shooting President Reagan over Jodie Foster....

Every President also has a double who travels with them often...now, that will be the hard part, finding a look alike for Obama!...matching them ears ain't gonna be easy...lol

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4654
I usually agree with your posts but on this one you obviously haven't been keeping up. There are hundreds of groups out there right now planning attacks and it is unprecedented in US history. Obama already has had since near the beginning of his campaign the strongest and biggest SS force ever assigned to a candidate. He will continue to have an escalated security risk and especially if he wins. But he is at extreme risk of cars smashing along side and detonating and any number of suicide bomber angles. They are the best, but they can't stop repeated attempts from people who have no fear of death. Not for 4 years...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18676
Again. Is America really ready for this?

It will only get worse.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14286
was recently looking at history & Nat Geo showing how drastic white supremest can get ...they r dormant for a while but its a sleeping giant waiting for a cause to arise

IMHO - i was surprised to see obama made it this far because there always was a white leader & thats the way it always was , but it seems like ppl of 'color' see a upcoming politician even though he is black he 'represents' colored folks - at least thats the way it seems

in my country we have a similar problem here since ppl of african decent (we do not use the term "black\s" here unless u want urr azz kicked) vote for leaders of a african lead party who once in govt r prejudice to areas of their supporters , stealing the treasury yet ppl vote for them based on race & nothing really sensible ...we r having that problem here for the past 50yrs & only twiced have we gotten a dfferent govt & yet went back to vote for that same party & continued to vote on race & not on principles or betterment

i dont follow usa politics much & i honestly dont know who is the better candidate but i hope ppl r not voting for race ....

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8830
All I do is think about the election being for the vice president as that will be our future president in short time more than likely.

Silver Member

Post Number: 783
Brad...You are correct, I haven't been keeping up, nor aware of "hundreds of groups out there right now planning attacks and it is unprecedented in US history"...

Well, all we can do is hope for the best, regardless who gets in office...and I also usually agree with your posts too, not always (especially sports related..lol) but many times when its more serious issues....

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2400

quote:

i honestly dont know who is the better candidate but i hope ppl r not voting for race ....

It doesn't work that way here, sad enough. The majroty of African Americians are voting for Obama just because he is black. And when a white person tells them they are not voting for obama, they call you racist.

My town is 94% African American, and about 92% of those are on welfare, and they think they will get more if Obama becomes president.

Silver Member

Post Number: 790
I voted today for Obama and I am a white honkey peckerwood MF!...and a veteran, who likes McCain as a human and soldier, but NOT as my President!

Also I know many blacks voting for McCain..I think the majority of people are voting with their heads, not their color...Do you honestly believe Gen Colin Powell, a staunch Republican under Pres Bush (both of them) is endorsing and voting for a Democrat Obama, only because he/they are black?...c'mon now!

Nobody should be playing that race card in either direction or FOR either candidate!...even Obama distanced himself from Louis F and J Jackson, years ago..and insinuations of widespread voting based on color is just not factual, IMO...maybe in some cases, but NOT as a rule of thumb or a general concensus..most people have formed opinions based on their brains and not their color..and that goes for BOTH blacks and whites, and zebra's too!

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2403

quote:

Also I know many blacks voting for McCain

I know none. And I live where most of the black population lives.

But anywho, all race aside,
He is still not a natural born citizen.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3278
"and insinuations of widespread voting based on color is just not factual"

apparently you haven't been keeping up with the news and the massive african american turn out for this election. I wonder who they came out to vote for?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 909
Powell Catches the Beltway Breeze
An endorsement of Obama dictated by political winds.
· By BRET STEPHENS

Cyrus Vance resigned as secretary of state after Jimmy Carter's attempt to rescue U.S. hostages in Tehran failed -- as Vance thought it would. Alexander Haig resigned the same office two years later when it became clear to him that he was out of step with the rest of the Reagan administration. These resignations were principled, honorable and personally painful decisions.

And then there is the Powell precedent.

"The new president is going to have to fix the reputation that we've left with the rest of the world," said the former secretary of state on Sunday's "Meet the Press," as he endorsed Barack Obama's bid for the presidency. "At this point in America's history, we need a president that will not just continue . . . basically, the policies that we have been following in recent years."

Say what you will about Mr. Powell's endorsement, then, it is also a spectacular repudiation of the Bush administration and of the Republican Party: a double-barreled letter of resignation, broadcast on national TV. But what are we to make of a resignation that arrives nearly four years after its author was let go by the president -- despite his widely reported desire to stay on in the second term?

Or, more bluntly: To what extent is Mr. Powell's endorsement of Mr. Obama a case of sour grapes?

That's one of the questions Tom Brokaw might have usefully asked Mr. Powell, rather than simply hand him a soapbox. Here's another: If America's reputation needs fixing, what part does the former secretary think he played in its malfunction? Consider the following examples:

- What responsibility does Mr. Powell assign himself for the four-year Beltway drama that involved the leak of CIA analyst Valerie Plame's name to columnist Robert Novak?

One result of that drama was that then-New York Times reporter Judy Miller spent 85 days in jail. Another was that Scooter Libby, Dick Cheney's chief of staff, was convicted of perjury and sentenced to 30 months in jail. A third was that the administration as a whole suffered a huge and needless political blow.

Yet Mr. Powell knew all along that the original leaker was his own deputy, Richard Armitage, a fact the two of them didn't publicly reveal for years. Why didn't he lay the matter immediately to rest instead of allowing others to twist in the wind?

- In a similar vein, it would be interesting to know how Mr. Powell assesses his role in the widely publicized internal spitball fights that served as feedstock to America's least scrupulous critics abroad. In 2004, for instance, he was quoted in the Washington Post as calling Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith's policy shop a "Gestapo office." That same year, Larry Wilkerson, Mr. Powell's chief of staff, compared deputy secretary of defense Paul Wolfowitz to Vladimir Lenin in an interview with Vanity Fair.

Mr. Powell never apologized publicly to Mr. Feith (though he did so privately) or reprimand Mr. Wilkerson. That's his call, but it squares oddly with his criticism of Mr. McCain's campaign for allegedly allowing nasty things to be said about Mr. Obama's religion.

- Also of interest: Exactly what advice did Mr. Powell give President Bush about the advisability of invading Iraq?

At a conference in Aspen in 2007, Mr. Powell reportedly claimed that he "spent 2½ hours vainly trying to persuade President George W. Bush not to invade Iraq and believes today's conflict cannot be resolved by U.S. forces."

When asked the same question by Mr. Brokaw, however, Mr. Powell offered this:

"I said to the president in 2002, we should try to solve this diplomatically and avoid war. The president accepted that recommendation, we took it to the U.N. But the president, by the end of 2002, believed the U.N. was not going to solve the problem, and he made a decision that we had to prepare for military action. I fully supported that. And I have never said anything to suggest I did not support going to war." (My emphasis.)

- Finally, Mr. Powell was among the first to call for the Guantanamo detainees to be given POW status and released whenever feasible. He was also among the first to call for more troops to be deployed to Iraq early on, before the insurgency got fully under way.

Mr. Powell is wrong about Gitmo: Released detainees have a nasty way of returning to their former line of work. Still, if the prison was such a running sore on America's global image, why didn't he offer a stiffer protest -- or resign?

As for more troops, Mr. Powell was plainly right. So why did he later oppose the surge, telling Tim Russert in June 2007 that "the only thing it can do is put a heavier lid on this boiling pot of civil war stew"?

The standard view of Mr. Powell's tenure at State is that he had a diplomat's brain but a soldier's heart, and soldiers ultimately do as ordered. Maybe. Another view is that he is a man with an unfailing sense of the political breeze, like a kite. His endorsement of Mr. Obama sends his reputation aloft again, floating high above a record that stands for nothing.

Write to bstephens@wsj.com

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4661
^^ That was awesome. I am guessing by your username that you are the author of that?

Extremely well said...

Bronze Member
Username: Flyingleaf

Post Number: 30
I guess so...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us