Top 5 starters AND relievers in the bigs (MLB)

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4467
Who do you all think are the top 5?

I am basing my ranking purely on numbers and who I think is going to put up killer stats. I would say mine for this year are:

Johan Santana: Santana is always one of the most dominate pitchers in the league and moving out of the AL is only going to help his numbers. Pitchers hitting FTW. Not to mention he gets a huge boost in run support which should allow him to cash in a few more wins.

Jake Peavy: Peavy plays in one of the weakest divisions in baseball and has made opposing teams look like minor leaguers on MANY occasions in the past few years. He was the best pitcher in baseball last year, he's still pitching at Petco, he's on the same team, and he's still nasty. He's going to be dominate while threatening to lead the league in Wins, ERA, and Ks.

Brandon Webb: Brandon Webb has consistently improved his game the past four seasons and if it wasn't for Jake Peavy, Webb would have won his second straight Cy Young award in '07. He has the best sinker in baseball and he raised his strikeout numbers significantly last year. He plays on the best young team in his division and they are only getting better with age. Not to mention 'Zona is adding a great mentor and achor (if healthy) in Randy Johnson to the rotation.

Erik Bedard: Bedard has improved his numbers every year he has been in the league and last year it all came together for him. He lowered his walks and raised his strikeouts. He mowed down 221 in only 182 innings! He held opposing batters to a .212 batting average, too! While he only managed to pull out 13 wins in 28 starts, you have to realize he played for a team who only won 69 games! Moving to Seattle will be a God send for Bedard and his wins should soar.

And lastly, Scott Kazmir: It was a toss-up between him and Josh Beckett, but Kazmir was simply INCREDIBLE in the second half of last season. He went 8-3 on the lowly Devil Rays with a 2.39 ERA and 124 strikeouts in 94 innings. Supposedly he was coached to change his mechanics mid-season and those numbers were the results. I think its a sign of things to come!

Honorable mentions: Josh Beckett, C.C. Sabathia, Cole Hamels, Roy Oswalt, and Justin Verlander.

Relievers: J.J. Putz, Jon Papelbon, Joe Nathan, K-Rod, and Billy Wagner

Sorry, Yanks. After chat this just really interested me because our opinions on the matter differ so much. So much, in fact, that it made me wonder what everyone else thoughts on the matter.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8785
Unbelievable

No one in the chat mention the name of who I think DESERVES to be top 5. I'm curious to see if the name appears.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The poster formerly kn...

Post Number: 2883
Not only would i put Beckett in the top 5, i'd put him #1. Come playoff time, he is as clutch as it gets.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4472
Well, ya see, I'm talking statistically for the season. I would put Beckett number 1 in the playoffs as well. He's been untouchable, but this rating is based on regular season statistics basically.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4473
Hence: "I am basing my ranking purely on numbers and who I think is going to put up killer stats."

Gold Member

Post Number: 4474
This will be a triple post, FTL but I would like to hear everyone else's picks instead of everyone harping on mine. The point was to see what kind of diversity there is between everyone's opinions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2884
Who harped on yours? I didn't say anything about your list. I just said Beckett would be #1 for me. Don't care to make a top 5, just picking my favorite.

Not sure who Yanks is referring to, but i hope it isn't Clemens. The guy is an absolute disgrace.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8786
Come on Pit, give me some credit. Of course its not Roger.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2890
well i assume it's a yankee, and all their players suck so i'm stumped:-)

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3500
NL

Johan Santana
Brandon Webb
Jake Peavy
Cole Hamels
John Maine

AL

Justin Verlander
Josh Beckett
Scott Kazmir
C.C. Sabathia
Eric Bedard/Felix Hernandez (tie)

Honorable Mention:

NL

Danny Haren, Chris Young, Matt Cain, Roy Oswalt, Aaron Harang

AL

Roy Halladay, Jeremy Bonderman, John Lackey, Dice-K, Fausto Carmona

Relievers (both leagues)

Jonathan Papelbon
JJ Putz
Jose Valverde
Billy Wagner
Francisco Rodriguez

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19005
what about saito?

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3501
Saito should have another big year other than the Padres pounding the crap out of him. It's hard narrowing it down to 5.... very hard. When we talked about this in chat I was throwing out names, pretty much Reece's whole list, but I had to really think about this for an actual post.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3502
And Chad....

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19006
screw you and the horse you rode in. lol.

dodger blue for life. lol.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8791
I'm sitting here watching Spring Training, Dodgers vs Braves.....and I am so happy to be watching baseball again

Gold Member

Post Number: 4487
me too yanks! braves ftw.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19014

Gold Member

Post Number: 4502
braves THUMPED your dodgers, chad! DO WORK BRAVES!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19025
pfffft its only spring training man. don't get your pantties in a bunch. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4504
im not i just thought i would rub it in considering we didn't play any of our good players :-)

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8822
Cole Hammels got dumped on by the Yankees today in Spring Training.

2 inning pitched, 4 hits, 4 runs, 2 HR's given up, 18.00 era

Petitte was strong today

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9423
All I'm going to say is Chien Ming is 5-0 with a 3.23 era.

Gold Member

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5566
I still don't consider him top 20 :-) He has faced one good team this year. Toronto is decent. Tampa Bay doesn't have a consistent offense at all and no pitching without Kazmir. He did pitch nicely against Boston in their first match-up and then he got DEMOLISHED by them. White sox are weak and Cleveland is just struggling. I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, but he is nowhere close to top 5. My guess is that he will get rocked once he faces the same teams again. My picks look pretty damn good, minus my honorable mentions, but that is exactly why they are just that.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9424
"I still don't consider him top 20 :-)"

Please name me 20 other pitchers who are better than him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5570
Brandon Webb, Johan Santana, John Smoltz, Jake Peavy, Cole Hamels, Dan Haren, Carlos Zambrano, Tim Lincecum, King Felix, Erik Bedard, Josh Beckett, Roy Halladay, Chris Young, Fausto Carmona, Rich Harden, C.C. Sabathia, Scott Kazmir, Aaron Harang, Dice-K, James Shields, Ben Sheets, Yovani Gallardo, Derek Lowe, Tim Hudson, Andy Pettite... Should I continue?

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2393
i disagree with ur last 7 pitchers

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9427
Where to start.....First off, Andy Pettite is not better than Chien right now and I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with that. Tim Hudson is a decent pitcher but isn't anything special anymore. And Derek Lowe, I know that is a joke. He may be off to a decent start right now but lets see how he finishes lol. Yovani is solid but still isn't better than him right now. He might be later in his career but at this moment in time, I feel there is no way you can say he is better. As for Benny Sheets, dude gets hurt so often that its impossible to know. James Shields is solid (9 innings of 0 run baseball against the Sox today) and you could make an argument for him being better so far this year. Dice-K is off to a solid start but I still think hes the second best Japanese pitcher in the league. Aaron Harang is 1-3 right now. Now with that said he does have a 2.76 era (nice run support lol). Still don't think hes better than Chien. Scott Kazmir is an up and coming star in the game and will be one of the premier pitchers in the league soon. We'll see what happens when he comes back this year. CC Sabathia is a good pitcher but he also has an ERA around 7 right now and is 1-4. Rich Harden is a solid player. See what happens when he comes off the DL. Carmona is damn good and will be damn good for a while. I'd still take Chien over him. Chris Young is a good pitcher. Got hit hard one game this year so far. Be interesting to see how he ends up. Hard to say Halladay isn't good. Hes a great pitcher that can easily pitch 9 innings if hes on. He can be shaky sometimes though. Beckett is just plain good. Erik Bedard is a good pitcher. He looked good in his first game back. Felix Hernandez is a good pitcher. Timmy is great. Carlos is incredible when hes on. Dan Haren is a solid pitcher. Cole is great. Peavy is Peavy and thats enough said about him. Smoltz is off to a great start but at this point in his career, I'm not sure if he can keep it together all year. Johan is great. Webb is great.

I still feel Chien is as good or better than more than half those players listed.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3125
Brandon Webb is the best pitcher on the planet, period.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5571
You just proved my point completely. You think it is a joke that I put Derek Lowe on the list when its not hard to see that him and Wang have VERY similar stats BUT Wang plays for the Yankees. Their career ERAs are close and both of them are sinker ballers who rely on contact. The big difference is Lowe is a former 21 game winner, has a Cy Young under his belt, and was a former all-star closer. Wang is a decent pitcher, but that is all he is. His wins are inflated because he plays for the Yankees and thats really the only argument you have for him being a top 20 pitcher. He doesn't strike people out, he doesn't have a stellar ERA, he isn't physically gifted, he allows A LOT of hits, and he got BLISTERED in the playoffs last year.

Pettite is a better overall pitcher than Wang he has just had a couple of injury problems. When Wang can keep a sub 3 ERA for a season he can talk.

Hudson put up better numbers across the board last year EXCEPT FOR WINS. Hudson had a lower ERA, more Ks, less walks, and threw more innings than Wang last year. Wang is not even close to Hudson in terms of career numbers.

Yovani Gallardo is just better. He struck out 3 less batters than Wang in only 110 innings last season. He had and has a lower ERA and opponents are hitting .204 against him this year. Once again, if he was on the Yankees he would push for twenty wins. So why can't I say he's better? Because he is younger? You're showing no logic.

Ben Sheets has proven he is much better than Wang. It doesn't matter if they dude gets hurt, how can you say "its impossible to know" that he is better? Even when he is hurt and in and out of the lineup he puts up better numbers than Wang, excluding wins (we know why). Not to mention he is showing what he can do when he is healthy by boasting a .96 ERA with 24 Ks in 28 innings this year.

James Shields is younger than Wang and has put up better numbers through this point in his career. He has impeccable control and only issued 36 walks last year. He has a similar ERA to Wang's career, but its obvious that his game is only improving. He also K's more guys up.

Daisuke has pitched arguably the toughest schedule of any pitcher in the bigs this year and has come away from it with 3.14 ERA thus far. He has nasty stuff and with a year of MLB experience under his belt he will only get better. He strikes out a lot of hitters and has a lot of out pitches. He also plays for a good team and OBVIOUSLY that makes him a lot better than people who are on bad teams with better numbers. ;)

Aaron Harang has finally harnessed his stuff and dominates Wang is every statistical category excluding wins. He also pitches in a notorious hitters ballpark. He Ks people up in bunches and is an absolute workhorse. Put him on the Yankees and see how many games he'll win.

Kazmir has a lower career ERA, is a K machine, and he put everything together the second half of last season to put up a 2.39 ERA in the second half of the year. I doubt Wang has put together a month stretch of 2.39.

Sabathia will definitely bounce back as he showed in his last start where he struck out 11 over 6 innings. All he needed was a little confidence boost and he will be off to the races. He is much more dominant than Wang.

Why would you take Wang over Carmona? Do you have any rationale or are you just being loyal to the Yankees? It would seem to be the latter. He won the same amount of games, struck out more people, and had a lower ERA than Wang last year. He also has a lower ERA this year even with the control issues he has had.

Did you see Chris Young's numbers last year? You have no argument. If he put up those numbers on the Yankees he would have won 20 games. He strikes out a lot of hitters, has cut down giving up homers, and even after a dreadful beginning to this season he has numbers as good as Wang's.

You can't argue Wang against Halladay. You would be crazy. He's not in the same league. If Toronto's manager had any idea wtf he was doing Halladay's ERA would be a run lower. Regardless the guy has pitched 3 CG already this year. No discussion, Halladay > Wang.

Glad you recognize King Felix, Bedard, Lincecum, Big Z, Haren, Hamels, Peavy, Johan, and Webb are better than Wang. Now screw your head on straight and realize Wang is not in Smoltz's league. Do you really want me to bring out the numbers? I'm talking as a 40 year old man, not as a young "stud" in his prime. He dominates every statistical category over Wang. Give him the 5 runs a game Wang receives and he doesn't lose.

Rebuttal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5572
"Brandon Webb is the best pitcher on the planet, period."

x2. The dude simply owns.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9433
Your talking about Wang's "career" numbers when hes been in the league for 3 years. This is his fourth year. Of course old man Smoltz will have better number than Ming. Don't misread what I'm saying Reece. Smoltz is a GREAT pitcher, Hall of Famer no quiestion. But right now, at this point, at his age, I would be surprised if he kept up with how he is pitching right now. Please leave CAREER numbers out of this. Chien doesn't have any because he hasn't been in the league for that long....entering his 4th year. We are talking about who is the best pitcher RIGHT NOW. You keep on bringing up Chien doesn't have the K's to be a top notch pitcher. Who needs K's when you have a sick sinker ball and you get a shitton of ground ball outs a game? Don't mind the fact that hes getting his slider better and is getting some decent K's now. He had 8 today I think. A right handed hitter has not hit a homerun against Wang in the last 440 or so at bats. Theres some numbers for you bud. In 2006, he gave up .5 homeruns every 9 iniings pitched and held batters to a .211 batting average in a tied game. In 2007, he had a .41 homeruns given up per 9 innings which was the best in the AL. He was also the fastest person to 50 career wins since Dwight Gooden. It took Wang only 85 games to win 50.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5578
You can't base who is the best pitcher right now strictly on stats from this season. Look at Esteban Loaiza a couple of years ago. He was the best pitcher in the game for one year that doesn't mean he is top 20 or, in his case, top 100. I am not comparing Wang's career numbers to a guy like Smoltz, but it is fair to look at 3 year averages and to look at the past two seasons that have convinced you that he is a top 5 pitcher in the league.

Smoltz has put up better numbers the past 3 seasons than Wang has. He is still putting up better numbers than Wang is. He has a 3.06, 3.49, and 3.11 the past three full seasons he has pitched which is worlds better than Wang's 3.70, 3.63, and 4.02. Yeah those were his first few seasons, but in Smoltz first 3 full seasons he had a 2.94, 3.85, and 3.80 ERAs. Regardless of Wang, Smoltz numbers have done nothing but encourage the idea that he is still a great pitcher. His K numbers are still stellar, his ERA hasn't fluctuated much in the past few years, he still doesn't walk many batters, and he still baffles hitters. At 41 he still owns Wang. Regardless of age Smoltz is still a MUCH better pitcher today than Wang will EVER be.

Moving on, If you don't think Ks is an important stat then something is wrong with you. Dominant pitchers get K's. Whether or not they strike out 10 a game they manage to strike out a good amount of people. If you are striking people out that means they aren't hitting the ball. If people can't hit the ball they can't score runs. Yes, I know people can strike out 15 and still give up 5 runs, but it doesn't normally happen. As for Wang not giving up homeruns? Who cares? Johan Santana gave up 33 last year and won the Cy Young. Contact pitcher will never dominate the league. They can be solid pitchers over their careers, but they won't be spectacular.

Again you're bringing up the wins. the guy has nothing else going for him. I COULD WIN 10 GAMES FOR THE YANKEES. They came up 100 runs short of setting the record for runs scored in a season. A record previously held by one of the greatest teams of all time, the 1931 Yanks. They scored 5.97 runs per game!!!! How is at least one of their pitcher not going to win 19 games? Are you insinuating Wang is good because he gets a lot of run support because that is ridiculous. The only impressive thing about Wang's 19 wins is that he managed to get those wins with a ERA nearing 4. The offense is impressive, Wang is not. Oh yeah, you still haven't addressed why a "top 5 pitcher" had an ERA over 19 in the playoffs last year. Can you explain please?

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9440
"He was the best pitcher in the game for one year that doesn't mean he is top 20 or, in his case, top 100."

That doesn't make sense. He was top 5 THAT YEAR. We aren't arguing careers.

As for Smoltz vs. Wang, obviously we both have our opinions on each. We'll see who is better at the end of the year.

I don't recall saying K's aren't important. But I will say as long as he gets the out then whats the difference. If someone gets 0 K's in one game and gets 27 outs through fly balls or ground balls giving up no runs and minimal hits, then are you going to tell me he is not good because he didn't get any K's? According to your arguing, Wangs outing against the Sox where he went 9 strong giving up 2 hits and only 3 K's and 1 earned run was a worse outing than if he hypothetically went 9 innings giving up 8 hits, 4 earned, and 12 K's?

"As for Wang not giving up homeruns? Who cares?"

Who cares? Maybe fans of the team, his teammates, anyone involved in the team, etc. If he doesn't give up homeruns and he doesn't give up many hits, then obviously he won't give up many runs, which we've witnessed this year, minus the one game against Boston.

"Again you're bringing up the wins. the guy has nothing else going for him. I COULD WIN 10 GAMES FOR THE YANKEES."

Look at his stats from last year. He gave up 4+ runs only 8 times last year out of 30 starts. If you can give up 3 or fewer runs in 22 of 30 games, then you are going to win a bunch of games no matter who's offense you have. He pitched 14 games last year when he gave up 2 or fewer runs. Also he had an era of 3.7 last year bud....the 4 era came his rookie year.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3126
I haven't read every word of this debate so i'm not siding with either party or anything but I think it's important to note how FULL OF SH!T pitching stats are!!!

First of all, wins and losses are SOOOO over-valued as a stat used to evaluate pitchers. Honestly I get sick to my stomach hearing these so-called "baseball purists" saying sh!t like "Well who cares if his ERA is 7.4, he's 12-4 so he's getting the job done". Fu<king morons. More like he sucks but he's been lucky to have his offense bail him out.

Then you've got strikeouts which don't mean a whole lot because some guys just ARE or ARE NOT strikeout pitchers. Some guys make their careers on getting guys to pop out and ground out. And an out is a fuggin out so who cares!!!

Now, ERA is a very valuable stat, but even still has to be taken with a grain of salt. If the fielders around you suck, you're gonna give up more runs. Then there's the variables involved in fields of different sizes and shapes. And even the quality of the offenses you play, it's easier for a pitcher to keep a low ERA playing in a weak division than it is for a pitcher playing in the best division.

Whip is a wonderful stat, walks & hits per inning pitched!!! Still aspects that aren't ENTIRELY under the pitchers control, but a valuable stat nonetheless.

Fact is you've got to consider the TOTAL PACKAGE to evaluate pitchers. How much run support? Quality of the opponent? Defense to back him up? ETC.... And maybe most importantly, does he perform well when it counts most? If i'm picking a pitcher to build my franchise around today, i'd probably take B-Webb, BUT that's partially based on my gut feeling. If you're going just on what guys' have PROVEN time and time again, can you argue against Beckett? Still young, and has proven to be a SICK clutch pitcher in the playoffs, absolutely stellar.

Just my $.02. I'm pretty sure Reece and Johnboi have both followed baseball for longer than I have so i'm not gonna try to engage directly with them in this argument:-)

/rant

Gold Member

Post Number: 5582
"'He was the best pitcher in the game for one year that doesn't mean he is top 20 or, in his case, top 100.'"

That doesn't make sense. He was top 5 THAT YEAR. We aren't arguing careers. "

I'm not arguing careers. I'm looking at it how you do. Year by year. Esteban Loaiza was arguably the best pitcher in the game. I mean he had that great year so that means he was arguably the best, right?

When did I ever say a CG with 3 Ks is worse than a CG with 12 Ks and 4 earned? Of course its not, but I'm just saying dominant pitchers get strikeouts. The better your stuff is the more likely you will strike batters out. Its simple. Not saying you gotta K 10+ every game, but I bet you have a better game 9/10 times if you do.

I was simply making a point about the homeruns. Of course they matter. I was hoping you could pick up the sarcasm and the relation of giving up homeruns to striking out batters. Just because Wang throws a sinker doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to strike people out. Look at Brandon Webb. I was simply proving that just like you say you don't have to strike people out to be great you don't have to worry about allowing homers to be great.

And 3.70 is an "ERA nearing 4". I know the stats and they aren't impressive. Do you realize Wang won 6 games with he had a 4.50+ ERA? You know how often that happens? Not very often. He may have only given up 4+ in 8 games but he also pitched quite a few games allowing 3 earned in 6 (4.50 ERA).

Also, do you wanna make a bet on who has a better statistical year between Smoltz and Wang? That would be easy money for me. The only stat Wang compiles is wins behind a killer offense.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5583
"First of all, wins and losses are SOOOO over-valued as a stat used to evaluate pitchers. Honestly I get sick to my stomach hearing these so-called "baseball purists" saying sh!t like "Well who cares if his ERA is 7.4, he's 12-4 so he's getting the job done". Fu<king morons. More like he sucks but he's been lucky to have his offense bail him out."

THANK YOU! I feel like that should be obvious. The Yanks have one of the, if not the, best roster in the majors (at least they should with all the money they spend). Who cares how many wins a Yankee pitcher has? Its a given he's going to get a few.

"If you're going just on what guys' have PROVEN time and time again, can you argue against Beckett?"

I can't say Beckett is THAT proven. He's great don't get me wrong, but he's never be amazing in the regular season, and he is also VERY injury prone. 2006 was the first 200IP season he ever had. He's awesome in the playoffs, but what if his injuries catch up to him?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5602
Nothing?

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9465
My bad, I forgot to respond yesterday.

I don't want to do the bet because Chien doesn't get many stats. He will pitch many innings, get many groundball outs, allow very few homeruns, and wont have a high era. He won't get too many K's, although his slider is looking nice now so that will help him a bit.

I think Wang will have a very solid year and will have an era below Smoltz

Gold Member

Post Number: 5604
3.70 isn't a low ERA.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3908
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 5610
I would like to hear your opinion, Bradman. I am tired of arguing 1 on 1.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3910
I am not going to take sides with anyone just tell it the way I see it. My opinion is that Wang hasn't done enough yet to be a top 10 pitcher, or even top twenty. Put him on the Padres and he is a quality third starter. He wouldn't be the ace of any team I can think of off hand, and that alone denies him from the top twenty. If he goes say 18-10, 3.20 this year then we will talk. Who knows how many wins this guy would get on a team that averages 2.9 runs a game. He may well be a future HOF'r but right now with the way he gets hit hard sometimes in streaks and has the stellar D to back up some of those mistakes... I put him somewhere in the top 30, rising steadily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5623
couldn't have said it better.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4350
all i have to say

beckett
dice-k
lester
buckholz

papelbon
okajima

all you need you need to know

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3138
Yanks do you still say Chien-Ming Wang is better than Dice-K? I have to ask. The last time it was brought up an epic thread was born.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5624
Of course John thinks Wang is better. He thinks Wang is top 5.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9477
Yes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2412
6-0

beat bedard

wang :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5643
Shockingly, Wang got out-pitched and still won. Hm.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3928
That was pretty impressive. Seattle is slumping but they have some great hitters in that lineup. To pitch a three hitter against Ichiro alone is pretty tough, but he only got two. The Yankees relieving committee is just sick.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3150
Where do you guys think Cliff Lee ranks among the pitchers previously mentioned? He's something like 5-0 with an era less than 1 so far this year.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5654
Only time will tell with Lee. His BABIP (batting average of balls in play) is like .148 or something. the guy is getting incredibly lucky and even though he is pitching great (2 BBs in like 30+ innings) he can't keep up this pace. Lee has never been a huge strikeout pitcher and he's got pretty stellar K numbers this year and of course his ERA is .96. I say Lee ends up with a 3+ ERA and falls off big time in the second half if not sooner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5656
Talking just baseball in general, I'm pretty sure I told Yanks Robby Cano was overrated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2413
cmon now reece now ur being ridic

the guy is off to a slow start and hes overrated ...

315 career hitter ... get real man

wang is the real and when the guy wins 18-20 games again this year maybe hell gain some respect and dont say its cuz the yanks score 8 runs a game cuz they arent this year and he is 6-0

Gold Member

Post Number: 5667
i never said cano was this bad, i just said he was overrated. people make him out to be so amazing when he only had 1 real good year. wang got out pitched last game and still won. wins will never mean jack to me unless the pitcher who compiles them has a low 3 or sub 2 era. otherwise its the offense doing the work for you.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9496
Reece, your my boy but dude your making some hilarious claims my friend.

First off, Robi Cano overrated? Thats got to be a joke man. The kid has batted .297, .346, and .308 in his career so far. He is a pretty good defensive player as well. Fielding percentages of over .980 every year. Obviously he is slumping right now, but to say he is "over rated" is a joke.

Now on to Wang, he pitches 6 innings, giving up 3 hits, 1 earned, and fans 5 and got outpitched by Bedard who pitched 7 giving up 3 runs (1 earned) and 4 hits fanning 6? I'm not going to say Wang outpitched him but there's no way you can sit there and tell me that Wang got outpitched. It was pretty much even across the board bud. Did you even watch that game or did you just look at the box score and decide on that? I was at the game so I saw every pitch . And to say that the Yanks offense is winning him games.....hes given up more than 3 runs ONCE this year. And yea, he was lucky to not get the L in that game. Luck happens to everyone though. BTW, your buddy Felix Hernandez got shelled today by the Yanks. Oh wait, I bet he outpitched Mouse today didn't he? Lol

And I'm sorry but this is too awesome to not quote.
"wang got out pitched last game and still won. wins will never mean jack to me unless the pitcher who compiles them has a low 3 or sub 2 era. otherwise its the offense doing the work for you."

Wangs ERA = 3.00. Is that low enough for you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5673
if he can sustain that era all year ill be impressed. he won't though. Bedard pitched more innings, walked less batters, and struck more people out. IMO, that means he out-pitched Wang. Regardless of whether or not it was close, Wang got out-pitched. Hernandez got shelled his last game and STILL has a 3.04 ERA. Didn't Wang get rocked pretty hard earlier this year too? Does that make him a terrible pitcher? Didn't think so.

Also, you can quote that line all you want because its true. The offense and defense behind a pitcher win him every game (regardless of ERA) and if the pitcher has a high ERA then the offense and defense do even more work. Think what you want we'll see Wang's "amazing" mediocre stats at the end of the year.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9512
Wang went out because the trainer came out and looked at his hand. He then finished the inning and was done. Believe me, he could gone 8 strong if his hand didn't need to get checked out.

I didn't say Felix was "terrible". Not sure where you think I did either.

I'm looking forward to seeing his "mediocre" stats at the end of the year....especially when he has a mediocre 17-20 wins with an era hovering around 3.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5679
he's never had an ERA hovering around 3 over an entire season, closer to hovering around 4. we'll see his K and WHIP numbers at the end of the year too.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9515
"he's never had an ERA hovering around 3 over an entire season, closer to hovering around 4. we'll see his K and WHIP numbers at the end of the year too."

I know he hasn't. But I think this year he could. His K's should be improved as well this year. Not saying he will be top 5 or top 10 or even top 20, but for him they should be pretty good. He's not a big K pitcher though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5681
alright. we will just have to wait this one out then.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3182
I swear i've never seen a guy make it look as easy as Brandon Webb does. Only through 4 innings so far tonight against Colorado, but as usual he's got 5 k's, 1 hit, 0 runs.

Dempster also started for my fantasy team today. Anyone watch the Cubs game today? He was absolutely dealing. 8 innings, no runs, 12 k's and 6 hits. Woulda pitched the CG but he gave up a couple dinky little base hits in the 9th so they let K Wood finish it. Dempster is off to a hell of a start though. Maybe he'll win the Cy Young!!! I wonder what kinda odds i could get betting on that LOL 50-1?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5873
He doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell, Ehren.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 15694
Here's your "Top 5" now, based on what U call "top 5"...and thats where we all differ..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics

Both leagues ..all stats considered..
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching

Im kinda an ERA guy, but also consider the Wins and other factors relative to the team and the player...and Webb is definitely a contender at this early point of the season..but so are many others..way too early to tell..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5884
Pretty nice outing for Wang today.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9631
How did I know you would say something.....

He pitches poorly tonight and you jump on his back, he pitches good and you still call him sh1t lol

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3186
I loved when Joe Morgan said "I'll be surprised if he doesn't win the Cy Young award this year" regarding Wang. I mean Wang is a good pitcher, but that's quite an over-estimate to say you'll be surprised if he doesn't win, like he's a huge favorite or something.

Can't say it's shocking coming from Joe though, he's not the brightest announcer in the booth.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3961
Joe Morgan is by far the worst color man, or announcer in general, in the history of sports. I was thinking this tonight during the Yankees game. He harped about the home run they called foul (it was fair and he was right but still) for about five minutes until finally Jon Miller, who is one of the best of all time and is wasted with Morgan by his side, stepped in and made him change the subject. It's like Morgan doesn't know what to say so he makes things up and then when he decides he has it straight after stumbling on every other word he then proceeds to repeat the ignorant statement he stumbled onto four times or more. There are 124,000 hits on Google when you type in "joe morgan sucks" -- you would be hard pressed to find an announcer hated more. Dan Dierdork, Tony Siragusa, Shannon Sharpe, Tim McCarver and Bill Walton also need to stfu. And that is my short list. But nobody, and I mean nobody, is more of an utter douchnozzle than Joe Morgan.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3187
Morgan is pretty terrible. He has a reputation for saying a lot of really empty-minded things like "he'll be better once he improves". Gee, thanks for breaking that down for us Joe!

I also always really loathed Joe Theisman on Monday Night Football. The new trio with Tirico, Jaws, and Tony K. was a much needed upgrade.

I do somewhat disagree with some of your others though Brad. Siragusa has always been kinda funny to me. And it's not like he's calling the game, he's just on the sidelines doin little reports here and there.

And Walton i find kinda funny too. He's like the king of the overstatement and exaggeration, but I feel like he at least knows he's doing it and is playing it up, he's not just plain dumb.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9636
Me, my buddy, and my dad ripped on Joe Morgan for about 20 minutes straight last night about how bad he was at announcing.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15741
Morgan is the worse...ignorant and racist...even worse than McCarver, if ya think thats even humanly possible!

and I agree with ya Pittbull about Theisman sucked..and Siragusa is cool- down to earth common guy, almost like Normie from Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5886
Wang has a worse chance to win the Cy Young than Dempster does because he plays for the Yanks, hahaha.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4419
lester ftw no hitter

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9677
Rough year Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15758
Yanks pitching has basically kiiled them this year...except Wang

but being a Sox fan, I have no sympathy for the yankees or any of their fans...and who knows, someday that "losing" shoe could be on another foot...

but in the meantime I'll appreciate the talent, coaching and ownership ( and love the kid Theo Epstein) and the teamwork of all the Sox players, and savor any victories we get, no matter how they come!

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3198
looks like Joba Chamberlain WILL be converted into a starting pitcher. What do you guys think? Good move? Bad move? How will he do?

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9695
Doesn't surprise me at all. He was solid to say the least as a starter in the minors. Is it a good move? Right now I'm going to say yes, it is. After Mariano retires and we are in need of a dominant closer, I might change my mind. But we had to do it. We pretty much had no other options other than to try Joba out as a starter. Phil is out until July, Ian can't pitch in the bigs yet, Igawa can't either. Be interesting to see how he fares. He still has a some time before he starts a game.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5913
I think Joba will be a pretty damn good starter if he can build up the arm strength again. It helps A LOT that he started in the minors. The kid has nasty stuff now he just has to learn how to harness it throughout an entire game.

On another note B-Webb lost for the first time this year.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 646
webb is a badass

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3967
Joba will get sent back down at some point soon to get some innings and some pitch counts around 90 to condition his arm. It's funny (and I guess sad if you are a Yankees fan) that Rasner is now carrying that squad. But it looks like Arod is getting hot now and if he keeps this up he can carry them by himself for awhile.

Jake Peavy got put on the DL yesterday with a strained elbow. Some guys are never quite the same after this. The line: "The ace felt discomfort in his right elbow the last three or four starts" from the official report is not good at all. So the Padres nightmare season continues.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3647
I'm nervous about Joba moving into the rotation since I own him in fantasy.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3969
Even if he stays up (which I doubt) and throws simulated games from the pen, you are looking at a month or so without Joba. He wasn't doing you any good as a setup man anyways and now you have a chance at a very solid starting pitcher that can throw 100mph and rack up k's. I would be very happy about this Jesse.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3649
True, never thought about it that way.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9697
We now have 2 in a row thanks to a solid outing by Ian and a walk off single by Cano.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3203
Yankees f*cking suck.

Sorry Yanks but like the last 10 posts in this thread just have WAY too much Yankee love for my taste :-)

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3658
Go Giants!

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3971
Jesse just because you don't have a team to root for doesn't mean you have to stoop that low

Having said that, Bruce Bochy is one of my favorite people ever. Dude is straight up one of the nicest guys I have ever known. Nothing but respect for the Bochmeister. I remember I would call him when we were playing in town and he would come out after games and watch our gig with a bunch of other Pads. After the show we would all get hammered. Some of those guys are crazier drunks then my friends.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3663
Thats awesome Brad. I'm a lifelong Giant and 49ers fan thanks to my dad. You know that the Pads minor league team is here dont ya?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3973
Yep the Beavs. We were the Stars in Vegas for a long time then I forget what happened there. We go to see the Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres A) on "Thirsty Thursdays" and it is flat out insane. Dollar beers and hot dogs, and free parking. People go ballistic and girls are everywhere. We went a couple weeks ago in a limo with these crazy b!tches and I have zero memory of the entire game lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20911
i would like to add a couple of names to the honorable mention.

AL....joe saunders

Gold Member

Post Number: 2442
ive seen joba start many games .. when he played for the trenton thunder and they played the ct defenders(giants aa)

he is ungodly man ... ive played ball my whole life and in college and have seen some nasty pitchers who are in the league now ... mostly A and AA and he just towers over them peformance wise

Gold Member

Post Number: 5931
Wang with a SOLID outing today. HA! The guy is a joke.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9706
If Wang is a joke then I would kill to be a joke.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5940
Yeah, he looked good yesterday.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9709
And your top 5 pitcher Erik Bedard looked even better on Friday lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5945
Given he's been injury riddled this year, he has an excuse. How about my boy Scott Kazmir? Did you even have any other top 5 pitchers or is it Wang, Wang, Wang, Wang, Wang?

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9714
"Given he's been injury riddled this year,"

Chien has a hurt calf.

I have no clue who my top 5 would be.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2446
oh cmon reece

i will agree wang has had multiple bad outings this year but look at everyone else in the league

your top 5 have goten their t1ts ripped

webb... 2 lossess in a row ... pitched mediocre ... 8ks sure 7 runs 4 earned ...and the homerun mcann hit was a straight seed

peavy:DL ... pitched well

bedard: has done nothing injury or not .. dont come back if ur not 100 percent end of story

felix hernadez ... 2-5 .... dont give me this run support argument ... the guy is flat out failing this year.. curveball is no where near where it once was and his velocity only last about 4 innings then he throws a flat 91-92

jj putz ... - cmon the guy has one good year and hes god ... no way overrated to say the least

santana - 5-3 good k's but 11 homeruns ... thats insane keep the ball down

Dice-K pitching great best in AL right now .. CLiff Lee doing very well ... except when he goes flat

Zambrano - best pitcher in the NL right now hands down, with Volquez right on his heels

Gold Member

Post Number: 5947
never mentioned felix with my top 5. volquez is a real shocker and he has been the best pitcher in the NL this year. probably the best pitcher in the league this year.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5963
Wang once again unimpressive. His ERA is right where it should be now.

Yanks called out Brandon Webb and Webb said F you. Complete game shutout and improves his record to 10-2. The majors first ten game winner.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9764
Lol Reece. Where did I "call out" Webb???

I really don't recall doing that or even mentioning Webb's name in any of my posts except where I said:
"Webb is great"

Please fill me in bud.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3234
I'm thinkin he meant to say Loudon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5966
I did mean to say Loudon, my bad. I woke up a little tipsy this morning. :P

Wang still sucks, though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5986
Joba pitches today. We'll see how that goes. The guy definitely has potential to be top 5.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3789
Lets hope so for my sake. :-)

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4055
Fairly tough first start against a hot Blue Jays offense and Roy Halladay. I will be watching to see how long he can throw his 99+ mph fastball and what other pitches he will mix in to save his arm strength. Halladay has been lights-out in his last two and the Yankees need to find a way to score 5-6 runs to give Joba any chance. This is a huge series for the Yankees psychologically.

Something worth noting is that Joba was a starter at Nebraska and all through his time in the minors, so this is nothing new for him. He will probably be on a limited pitch count tonight so the Yankees need to score runs for him, and early. Not an easy thing to do against Halladay lately.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5989
Joba only pitcher 2.1 innings giving up 2 runs 1 earned while allowing one hit, walking 4 and striking out 3. He threw 62 pitches. Not very impressive, but we'll call it first start jitters. I also believe knowing you can only throw a certain amount of pitches would make you worry more about pitch count instead of what kind of pitch you're throwing.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9787
Yea it was obvious they only wanted him to throw about 60 pitches cause when he got pulled he wasn't in a jam or anything.

He was shaky but oh well. He'll certainly get better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6007
Well, just FYI, Wang still has a 4.30 ERA AFTER a 7.1 inning 1 earned run performance. He K number are no longer existent and I assume that's why he will continue to be a mediocre pitcher.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9864
Cant let it go can you Reece. He went through the worst slump of his career and has pretty decent numbers still.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6009
i was just analyzing the fact that he started giving up runs once his K's declined. damn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2494
welp ... wang shut down the stros ... pretty much dominated them

then he has to bat and gets injured .. how fcuking nice lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6013
well. he's garbage anyways. probably a boost to the yankees to be without him. definitely not a top 5 pitcher.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9866
"probably a boost to the yankees to be without him."

Your right Reece. Someone who is 8-2 is a detriment to his team lol. You crack me up with some of these comments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2502
ur a moron reece ...

and out of the top 5 pitchers u list this year ... who is living upto their potential

kazmir,webb,santana all givens

but ur honorable mentions ..

erik bedard- decent (given he has no team)
cc sabathia - no
cole hamels- no
roy oswalt- no(got smacked around by the yanks)
justin verlander - nope

wang is have a better year then all of those guys with a no next to their name yet u still dont give him credit ..

mussina is having a better year then all of them

jamie moyer is also ...

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4110
I agree with you guys that what Reece posted was a retarded statement. But what amazes me the most is that almost every time he does this in his trademark style, he acts all butthurt and shocked when people fight back. And whenever MS does almost the same exact thing, he jumps all over him. For some reason both of them are angry at the world and use dogmatic statements to make themselves feel better about their unfulfilled lives. Pretty sad.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3267
"he acts all butthurt"

that word will never stop being hilarious to me.

We've all heard the phrase "everyone is entitled to their own opinion". Some people seem to twist that into "everyone is entitled to my opinion".

Gold Member

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3909
Thread jack in progress...

Damnit Pit!!! I been waiting for you to say something in the UFC thread. You asked about UFC 85 and I replied. lol.

/jack

Gold Member

Post Number: 6014
haha, i figured you would sense my sarcasm in that last comment. i know the yanks aren't better without him.

cole hamels has been pretty good though. oswalt, bedard, and cc were based upon last years stats. i really don't know what happened to them. wang, however, has similar stats to last year.

i'm not telling people to believe my opinion, i'm just expressing it. if you don't like my opinion that's fine, that's why everyone has their own.

also, brad, how is me talking about baseball the same as MS ragging on people, their systems, kicker, and their accomplishments? not to mention i don't recall getting "butthurt" over anything. you seem to be getting "butthurt" over anything i post lately though. not sure what i did to you or why you feel the need to try to call me out constantly, but that's cool, dude. i'll try not to get "butthurt".

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9869
"wang, however, has similar stats to last year. "

You mean he's going to be a 19 game winner with an ERA hovering around the 3.50 - 3.75 mark?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6015
that was what he was on pace for, but instead of a 3.70 ERA he was going to have a 4+ era. Those, as decent as those numbers are, don't compare to the quality numbers of a top 5 pitcher.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9873
Well it appears this argument is going to be futile as Wang won't pitch again until Sept.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6018
yeah, i mean i wasn't trying to make this personal or bring animosity into this argument. i apologize if i did that. wang is a good pitcher in his own way. he just gets his w's differently than the guys i think are better. like its been said, these are just everyone's opinions so no big deal. we cool?

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3269
"we cool?"

John is but ur not.

pwned.

j/k

p.s. you suck at fantasy baseball, i bet your team will have like a .200 win % the rest of the year.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9874
We're fine Reece. I knew it wasn't ever personal and never took it that way.

Ehren.....I know :-(
I'll be lucky to have a .200 winning percentage lol. I know more about baseball than the majority in that league but I suck at fantasyUpload

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3271
lol no Johnboi i was talking to Reece!!! Just being silly though cause he is smashing us :-(

I feel like my roster is a lot better than my record says, but maybe i'm just inexperienced or something since it's my first fantasy baseball league.

I definitely made a couple poor moves early in the season, not appreciating what a long season it is. But i've also made some huge pick ups, i.e. Carlos Quentin & Milton Bradley who are over-achieving bigtime this year.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9880
Lol, thought it was directed at me. Regardless, my team blows c0ck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6019
Dudes, I'm always down to make some trades. Just offer some stuff up. Keep in mind my team's needs too, though so we can get a deal done.

This sounds super lame so forgive me, but honestly managing is just as big of a part as the players you have. Ehren, I think you've done a good job with your pickups. Quentin has fallen off recently, but Bradley is on a tear. Maybe try to trade him off and get value somewhere else you need it. Maybe pick up a good starter or another closer. Maybe some steals.

A good thing to look at is the head 2 head stats. You can see your total stats you've accumulated with your batters and pitchers. It gives you a good idea of what you can afford to lose and what you need to gain.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6025
joba looked pretty damn good today. he just needs to learn how to manage games better now.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3277
Staff softball game today. I went 5/6 with 2 triples, 2 doubles and a single. Scored all five times and probably had a dozen or so rbis. The one at-bat where i didn't reach base safely was because I got greedy and tried to stretch a triple into an ITPHR.

/bragfest

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4170
Awesome game Pit. You da man.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3278
Okay all I needed was one compliment :-) TY Brad.

Now let me put it in context. The game was 7 on 7 and I was 1 of like 4 people that could catch and throw consistently, so the fielding was an absolute joke.

Also probably 2/3 of the players were girls who couldn't hit the ball past the pitchers mound, but damn did they look good doing it in their little short shorts.

I never played baseball/softball growing up, I was always a soccer/basketball/football kid. So it was really cool, and completely unexpected, for me to do so well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us