HDMI vs Component

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 506
which is better HDMI, or component? and can you even see a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Ehdmi

Post Number: 29
HDMI is better than component. HDMI offers digital quality, whereas component doesn't. On certain items you can see a difference. HDMI cables can be found cheap online. DVI is also superior, but those do not offer digital sound like HDMI.

Keith
http://www.eHDMI.com

Bronze Member
Username: Dicks_ndickweeds

Bonerland, USA Country Music

Post Number: 75
HDMI has nothing whatsoever to do with sound. Where did you get that piece of information?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9520
04excursion,

HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. However, if your source is not in high definition, you will just get standard definition on your monitor and standard stereo on audio.

Again, depending on the source, you can see a difference.

Username: Pansat_sucks

Post Number: 7
let says HDMI is true HD. Components is not. So HDMI is better quality than Components. You can see about 10-15% differences.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10727
How do you quantify the 10-15% difference? What is your standard in measuring the quality of what you see?

Username: Nfl

Post Number: 7
benny you dumbazzzz...measure by your eyes you foool. HDMI is better than components. Anyone who did the comparision will be able to tell the differences.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 176
Actually I imagine in a double blind test exactly 50% of the people could tell the difference. In other words, no one can tell the difference between an HDMi cable connection and a component cable connection if the both inputs are properly calibrated for the incoming HD data.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 843
I agree that if the TV is properly calibrated you don't see any difference, although perception is a bigger part of the problem. What happens is a person, who knows little to nothing about what they are buying, goes in to buy a HDTV. The sales people sell them the $150 HDMI monster cable because "it will give them the best possible picture". So when the average Joe cable guy comes in and tries connecting the component cables the fight begins. Bottom line is I've seen the exact same brand and model of TV side by side with picture settings optimized and honestly couldn't tell the difference between the HDMI and component wired sets.
side note to D. Weed~ HDMI does pass digital audio as well as the video, the "MI" in HDMI stands for multi-media interface. Multi being more then one = both audio and video, and it does have everything to do with the connection. DVI only passes video, component only passes video and both rely on the PCM left/right audio jumpers be connected in order to hear audio when viewing those inputs

Bronze Member
Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 24
you tell him cable guy. drives me nuts reading post from people that don't know what they're talking about

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 22
Can you see the difference....

Well, tell ya what....

Go out and get the following HD test DVD...

http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

Attach your DVD player to you HDTV via HDMI and run the tests....

Then remove the HDMI and attach component cables and run the tests again.

Let your eyes tell you... then tell us. Your answer could and probably will be different than mine... as your source DVD and destination HDTV will probably be different than mine.

The source (DVD) and destination (HDTV) should be left in the same setup as much as possible for each test.

You may find that many AVR receives "like" either a coax or optical audio input so that today, although the HDMI can carry both audio and video, the question is if the AVR should be the hub for video as well as audio.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 855
Are you really performing a valid test with a 480p dvd vs. 1080i? There are too many times I hear about people saying "well I plugged my dvd into the input and everything worked just fine". You can't compare 480 to 1080 and expect similar results. Now if you've got a 1080i DVD player with a true 1080i formatted disc, be my guest and do a true comparisson, otherwise the test is invalid. don't compare apples to oranges, compare apples to apples.

Username: Indianbill007

Bhilai, Chattisgarh India

Post Number: 10
Well I got really something good and cool in a single give away package . Online IP TV , that is satellite TV and online radio channels in a single software.

http://www.artvnetworks.com

Online TV Player lets you watch 2500+ free Internet TV and listen 1500+ free online radio stations on your PC. It allows watcher to watch directly into TV without having to experience the annoyances of a Web site (like slow-loading pages and pop-up ads). No additional equipment required, No Monthly Fees, No Extra Costs. Online TV Player support both Windows Media and Real Video. You can play most of stream formats in one program. It can set the screen window to any size that you want. It supports full-screen mode too.

Download yourself and enjoy.!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us