Mitsubishi WS65611 & HDTV

I just got a HD converter Box (Motorola DCT5100) from Comcast Cable (Nashville). I am using it on a Mitsubishi WS65611.

Comcast is not yet announcing the HD boxes. The person at Comcast told me they have them when I was going to cancel my cable and go with Direct-TV for the HD. There is limited support, it sounds like we are beta testing.

On the Mitsubishi I have 3 sets of Component Video inputs under "High Resolution input" They are:

Component 1, YPrPb (480i/480p)
Component 2, YPrPb (480i/480p)
DTV, YPrPb/GRBHV (480i/480p/1080i)

The 3 Component Video cables from the Motorola Cable box are plugged into the DTV Component Video on the TV.

My problem: Everything is good when I watch a HD Movie. But when I try to watch a regular channel, I cannot use the FORMAT button on the remote to fill the screen. It just displays 1080I STANDARD and will not change to any other format. I can switch the cable box to 480i and regular programs are OK but now 1080i is not right. (Plus this is a hassle to change)

I hooked up the regular coax cable out of the box to another input on the TV, so all I had to do was switch devices on the TV. This works fine except that my Digital guide is only transmitted across the Component Video Outputs, not on the regular coax out.

So I guess my question is: Does anyone know why FORMAT: Stretch Zoom, Standard, etc does not work on the DTV input?

Thanks, Dave

It's a bug that suppposed to be fixed in the new DirecTV sets that are coming out.

The only solution I know of right now is watch your 480i regular programming through the s-video connection and watch your HDTV through the component connection.It's a hassle but it's the only way I've known that it can be done for regular broadcasting to fill the screen with that bug.

Robert

Thanks for the reply Robert.
Are you saying it's a bug with the Mits? (I'm on Comcast HD Cable, not Direct-TV)

I am using another output for regular TV, but the box only outputs the digital viewing guide on the "COMPONENT VIDIO OUT".

I will be switching to Direct TV just as soon as they Offer the Dish and Receiver required for HD in their specials. Right now the up front equipment costs for Direct TV are too high to compete with Cable (My HD receiver was free with Cable).

I think the Mits should be able to change the format on the DTV input to 480i, but it can't. Or at least I can't find out how to do it. It works on Component 1 or 2 but has no 1080i on those.

No I mean it's a bug with most all HDTV tuners period.DirecTV is the only I know of that has announced they have fixed it for their upcoming new models.

Robert

Carla
How do you like your TV? (WS-65611) WE JUST PURCHASED ONE two weeks ago. It works great. Hope it last a long time.

I just got HDTV on my Mitsubishi WS65611 via Comcast in Washington, DC. Comcast gave me a Motorola 5100 HDTV box, and the installer told me that if I purchased a fibre-optic cable, I could link it to my TV for CD quality sound. Has anyone been able to do this successfully? The fibre-optic cable I purchased from Radio Shack also has a S-video link, and I'm not sure where I sould plug it into the back of the tv. Did I get the right cable? if so, where should it go? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. {areece1605@aol.com,areece1605@aol.com}

Mykl
Andrew, the best thing to do is hook the lightpipe to a DTS capable decoder (such as a Sony 5.1 setup) and then forget CD quality, you'll get true 5.1 surround sound...but I think your set has only a coax (S\PDIF) output, no digital audio inputs other than the FW. That's what my 55511 has. Which means the tech misinformed you or you misunderstood his suggestion.

has anyone purchased the new Mitsubishi HD converter box that is an "add on" to the wide screen projection TV. I received a postcard from Mits advising me that the converter and installation would cost about $800. Should I look for a less expensive generic???

Mark
I am looking at these Mitsu TV's right now, and am debating between the HD-upgradeable TV's (311/411) and the integrated ones (511/611). Why did you need an external decoder when the 611 has the built-in?

p.s. I would be using Comcast cable too (Dallas).

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WS65611. Have HD cable provided through Motorola 5100 box. Also purchased JVC D-VHS vcr. I want to record HD programming as the JVC is capable of doins this via firewire. The Motorola cable box has a firewire out connector but after removing small cover on back of box, there is an empty slot. No connector present. What to do. What to do.

Craig

Gary Thomas
If I buy a ws-65611, why do you still have to use an set top box for cable or sat? I thought buying a tv with built in hd receiver took care of this. Help!

Mark-
The internal decoder on the Mits 511 through 711 are for local, over the air broadcast ONLY. You would need to use a converter box if you wish to recieve either cable or satelite HD broadcast with any Mits. The DirecTV HD recievers have the added benefit of also enabling local HD reception using a set-top or rooftop local antenna. If your local comcast has local HD content or is planning to get it then skip the internal and rent the box. You are better off spending the money you save on a new air conditioner, Texas is hot.

Craig-
That slot is for future expansion. The ONLY HD you can record with the TV and D-VHS machine you have is local over the air HD broadcasts. So if you are using a local antenna into your D-Ant input and you also have ABC broadcasting HD in your area then you could have recorded the SuperBowl. But if you are recieving HBO-HD through your Motorola box you wouldn't be able to record that in HD. The best you could do is S-VHS because that D-VCR is S-VHS as well.

I just bought a Mits WS65611 and am using the Component Video hookups with a Mits progresive scan DVD player. I've tested several DVD's and the TV appears to be "grainy" and not crystal clear on all of them. Is there something wrong, or a way to fix this? Am I sitting too close (9ft away)? Very frustrating and dissapointing.

Thanks,
Steve

Anonymous
Steve, have a similar problem with my Hitachi 57"...The interlaced provides abetter picture on my tv then does progressive scan...When i try the dvd player on another tv, progressive scan works better....Though i wouldn't categorize the picture as grainy, it is not as sharp as one would think....I sit 8 feet +- away from tv

Anonymous
Have a Mits WS-65711. Just brought a Mits D-VCR.
Hooked up to Firewire conection. Cant record any HD channels, even the over air ones. Not sure why, but they need to let you Know so more people dont waste there money.
Steve

Anonymous
DId you rent the box from comcast, or did you buy the converter?

Anonymous
I got a dct5100 and have no problem switching between a hd movie and then back to a analog movie. They have fixed that problem in the tuner.

Anonymous
I bought a Mits 48511 in Maryland. I have basic cable but when I hook up the DTV, I get HD broadcast. For awhile, I was getting several stations - not all HD but digital. I don't even have digital cable. Then last week Sept. 1, I lost about half the stations. Now I only get ESPN, ABC and NBC and Comcast sports local (but not a lot of O's game in HD). I do get numerous Spanish channels. What I don't understand is why did I all of a sudden lose all my other ESPN stations. I also managed to get pay per view stations, but I never ordered them. Apparently, some wires got crossed in the community and I was getting pay per view. (Who ever was watching it was using fast forward) Can someone explain what is going on here. How can I get free pay per view, and what happened to my other channels. By the way NBC 's picture in HD breaks up. My format says the show are in HD. I don't know if that means 1080I? When I look at the ESPN football game, you can definitely tell its in HD.

Also when I used a splitter to hook up a vcr, I lost the higher channels 50 and up. That's because I was splitting with the DTV, and when I used the loop in for DTV and split the vcr and ant A, the same thing happened? Would an amp. booster help. My cable comes out of the wall. Help anyone?

All I want to know is....Has ANYBODY heard of Direct TV supporting firewire....I just bought my WS-65711...I didn't want to wait for the '04's just for a DVI input....but since DVI is already supported i'm starting to freak a litlle...I love my Mits..the picture is GREAT I could care less about the integrated tuner since the only thing that is broadcast in HD is the news...although Mon Nite Football is cool it's not 1080 soooo whatever...but i'm trying to hold out in spending ANOTHER $800 until the firewire Direc TV receivers are out...if & when...any one???

Dylan S.
I too have just bought a WS-65711 Mits. Does anyone know if a 5 component video output DVD player is available? I think the five component input on the back of the TV is the only way to display the 1080 resolution. Is this true? Does someone make 5 component video dvd players? Also... the vga input says its only 640X480 resolution. A guy at Fry's electronics told me to get a DVI dvd player and a DVI to vga cable to hook up the DVI output on the player to the vga input on the tv, via that DVI to vga cable....it didnt work though. any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us