S video + rca audio settings

Username: Kodomo

Post Number: 1
I have an old crt tv (sylvania 6420FE) that I'm trying to get hooked up to my computer. I bought an s video cable and an rca audio cable for it, both of which work - but not at the same time. The audio works only in the video 1 and game setting, and the video only works in the video 2 setting. Do I need to get an rca cable for video as well, or is there a way to make both of them work at once? I admit I'm a complete noob at this stuff, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 642
game setting?
I don't understand what that means.

Username: Kodomo

Post Number: 2
I have 3 input channels (i think that's what they're called), video 1, video 2, and game. I don't really know what the game setting does.

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
You need to make sure whether Video1 and Video2 are inputs or outputs.

I am not familiar with Game input channel on a TV. Never had one that had one.

What brand and model is this laptop? Do you know how to make it direct it's output to its s-video port?

Username: Gscummins

Post Number: 1
I'm having the same problem as leee4888. Although I'm not attaching a computer to my tv, I'm just trying to attach a vcr or dvd-r to that video line with an S-Video cable (red, white and yellow - the S-video cable). I'm able to use video line 2 which is the "game" key on the remote. The input lines (red, white, yellow) are on the front of the tv. I just press "input select" twice and it moves to line 2 - where I have a second recording device attached to that. But for some reason I cannot connect to the video 1 line - which I assume is the S-video (yellow) line in back (right next the the normal red and white inputs. (I'm trying to use both video lines because I finally have set my cable box up to my main tv line - and need both the video lines to record off the air seperately - I split the coaxial cable with a 3 way splitter). When I attach the S-video cables to the input in back of the tv - I get the sound only - no video? Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The TV is a Sylvania 6420FE projection TV. Help! Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 713
red + white + yellow is NOT s-video

Post Number: 2
Well - the store sold me the S-video cable. It's three small wire/cables connected - one goes into the red - one goes into the white - and the yellow big circular S-Video wire goes into the big round S-Video on the back of the tv. (The colors are marked with a tag on the cables near the top-the actual colors near the insert tips are red, black, and yellow. Do I have the wrong cable?

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
Usually composite video has the yellow connector at least it is on all my video equipment so your description of yellow connector threw me off.

The GAME button is totally something else.
You should either read or download the owner's manual.

I would have Game Mode off.
Then use INPUT SELECT button to choose between Video 2 or Video 1.

Post Number: 3
Ok - thanks Lee. I"m taking the S-video cable I bought back to the store and research it some more. Ya- I can go between video 1 and video 2 on the input select button. But I haven't been able to get anything on my video 1 line. The video 2 line is the three red,white and blue inputs on the front of the tv. I never press the game button. Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it - this isn't my forte!

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
No, it is fine to have the s-video cable.

But I am not sure what you are trying to do.

Video 1 (back s-video) and Video 2 (front composite video) are both inputs. You can't record anything with them. You can watch video if a VCR or a DVD player is connected to either.

Post Number: 4
I'm trying to get the video 1 line to work. On the video 2 line I have on Dvd-R - with a split coaxial cable going to the dvd-r and then to the input video 2 line. I want to set another one up to the video 1 line (on the back) - but I get sound - don't get video - even with the S-video cable. (I split the coaxial 3 ways- one going to the cable box and then to the main TV input. And I have run the 2nd coaxial cable to my dvd-r - and then to the video 2 line- so I can either play dvd's - or record off the air - seperately from the cable box - (it's analogue for the channels). So I'm trying to use my other dvd/vcr combo - (with the 3rd coaxial cable running to this one) and trying to get it to run to the video 1 line inputs on the back of the tv (the same way I did it on the video 2 line). But for some reason - after I hook up the S-video cable from the dvd/vcr combo to the video 2 line S-video input - I only get audio when I go to video 1 line - the picture doesn't come through.

Silver Member

Post Number: 716
Have you tried the DVD recorder on Video 1 ?
Your DVD recorder should have composite video along with s-video outputs.
This would verify that Video 1 is working. Though generally these video inputs don't break.

Post Number: 5
ah - good idea - I'll record something on the dvd-r - and then see if it plays back on the video 1 line (which is the S-video input). Yes- my dvd-r has the composite video and S-video inputs - but my tv - for the video 1 line- it's an S-video input. Unlike the video 2 line - which takes the normal red.white, and yellow cable -which I run from my other dvd-r - to the front of tv - which is the video 2 linen input. Trying my dvd-r on line 1 in a sec.

Post Number: 6
oh well. Nope - still doesn't work. I get sound from the tv on video line 1 - but no picture. Tried recording on my dvd-r - and playing back - again - sound but no pic. Something is wrong with the S-video hookup. I have a cable worker coming on Wed. to hook up my new digital cable box- I'll throw this at him and see if he can help. Thanks so much for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us