My 2004 Samsung DLP is Comatose, possibly Dead.

Username: Sensible

Post Number: 1
I have a 2004 Samsung 50" DLP TV (Model # HLN5065W). It was working fine until yesterday when I turned it on and it fired up but there was no picture, just a blank screen. Then it started to make a high pitched screeching noise. I tried to turn it off but none of the controls worked so finally I unplugged it in desperation. Since then it has been dead. Whenever I try to turn it on there is no sign of life and the power button on the unit has that dead feel like there is no electricity in it. Does anyone know what might have caused this problem and if so, is it worth getting fixed? I would have to take it to a repair shop since I am electronically illiterate. I paid over $3000 for the TV 7 years ago but obviously can get a replacement for less than $1000 these days.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2667
Tony,
I'll take pity on you and take a shot at helping you without being too much of a smart axx.
First you're right. you can replace the set with a 55" Vizeo at the bigbox store for a grand. Or a 50" Panasonic Plasma for <700$ at the same store.

Now, I don't KNOW whats wrong with your set, but DO know that even if you fix it for say.....350$, something will go south sooner or later anyway. I personally feel that DLP is a losing battle. The color wheel bearing may have made that noise. Or, if it was electrical? The whole thing going dead sounds like a power supply problem. Can you open it up....and have a look and a smell? UNPLUG for HOURS before doing so.

Join the club. I bought a Sony SXRD 60" in '06 and junked it out last year after the color shift thing bit me. Sony? Sold me a set which I sold the Next Day for a good profit. I gave up on the best image which if I read all the posts / threads correctly just means problems and bought a Panasonic Plasma. I've got an OK picture, which doesn't do motion perfectly but at least people aren't standing in line to beef about 'em.

If I were YOU, I'd set a max price for fix. If it exceeds the price, go new but be warned. Do your HOMEWORK about possible problems. The new LCD sets have a new set of problems.
I like my Plasma, but when working properly loved the Sony. Too bad they pissed everyone off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us