VCR recording question

Username: Sirrah13

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone & thanks in advance for any assistance.

Firstly, I live in Canada (assuming that makes a difference).

My Components:

HD satellite receiver (Bell ExpressVu 6131)
LCD HDTV (RCA 42LA45RQ)
VCR/DVD combo (Citizen JDVD3825P)

Current Setup:

- incoming coax cable from Sat dish to sat receiver
- Sat receiver & TV connected with HDMI cable
- R, B, G + R, W cables from DVD side to Sat receiver
- R, W, Y cables from VCR side to TV

I have no problem playing back video tapes and dvd's. But, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to record a program to a video tape. It is not important to be able to watch one program while recording another; I just need some insight as to how I can record a program to a video tape.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 630
I am at a lost to understand why you have the R,B,G + R,W cables between the Citizen and the satellite receiver. It serves no purpose since the satellite receiver's RBG connection is an OUTPUT and the Citizen's RBG connection is also an OUTPUT.

To record on the Citizen, you need to connect R,W,Y cables from satellite receiver's audio+video outputs to the Citizen's audio+video inputs.

Post Number: 2
Hi, Many thanks for info.

I have wiring diagram that shows the setup I mentioned in my first post. ??? Also have wiring diagram that shows R, B, G + R, W going from Citizen to HDTV (Component 1). ????

I shall try your suggestion. I appreciate your assist.

Post Number: 3
Hi ieee488,

Just tried your suggestion but still a no-go. Actually, what you suggested is the way I had it before I recently acquired my HD Satellite receiver. Under that scheme, the coax came in from the wall to my non-HD Sat receiver; out from the Sat receiver to the VCR & then out from the VCR to the TV. But, the HD Sat receiver only has 1 coax In (no Out) so that type of connection is no longer possible.

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 632
Well, the document on Bell's website http://support.bell.ca/en-on/TV/Receivers/6131_receiver_user_guide says that the composite video + audio R,W,Y is an OUTPUT.

You might want to check with Bell.

Post Number: 4
Hi ieee488,
I truly apreciate your assistance but I wasted several hours with Bell before I came here. I have the user guide, it does not explain anything; nor are Bell CSR's of much assistance.

Many thanks, I shall consider this matter closed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 634
Too bad.

It is unusual for the composite video+audio connectors on a cable/satellite box to be INPUTs. They generally are outputs.

When you make the connection between the Citizen and the satellite box that you had before you need to set the VCR to record on LINE1 or LINE2 depending on the nomenclature the Citizen uses. I suspect that is your problem.

Post Number: 5
I never had any problem until I connected the Bell HD 6131 Sat receiver to my HDTV (& my vcr/dvd combo). I had been clicking along just fine until a couple days ago. And, FYI, I never had to set the VCR to Line 1 or 2 to record. Channel 3 worked just fine.

I am beginning to believe that the problem lies within the HD aspect and my vcr/dvd combo not recognizing each other.

Many thanks to all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
Channel 3 will work only if you have something connected to the VCR's coax connector.

Post Number: 6
Yes, I agree. And I not longer have that option because the HD Sat Receiver only has one coax IN.

But, I have tried connecting, as you suggested, R W Y from Citizen to HD Satelliite receiver. I have set vcr to L1 & L2. Still doesn't work.

What is your setup ieee488? Do you have a HDTV, HD Satelitte receiver & vcr/dvd combo? I would appreciate your specific wiring diagram. I'm definitely missing something.

Silver Member

Post Number: 636
I have a LG HDTV and a Magnavox DVD recorder with a digital tuner and with a hard drive. I don't have satellite; I have Comcast cable.

You should read the 6131 information at
http://support.bell.ca/en-on/TV/Receivers/6131_receiver_user_guide

The composite video + audio R,W,Y on the 6131 is an OUTPUT. That is your only option for recording on your VCR.

If you don't believe this information, then you will NOT be able to record on your VCR without buying more expensive equipment.

Post Number: 7
Hi ieee488,

SS did not mean to imply that what you said was not true. I truly appreciate your assistance.

I pulled everything apart last night so I could see the description of each of the connections.

The HD Sat Receiver has only: R, B, G + R, W (out). No input connection(s). It has only 1 coax connection (in from the dish).

The Citizen vcr/dvd combo has only: DVD Output R,B,G + R, W; and, DVD/VCR Output Y, R, W. There are no input connections.

I now believe that what I've been trying to achieve (record to a video tape) is an impossibility with this unit and that an upgrade is in order. One thing always leads to another.

I thank you very much. You have been very kind and generous with your time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 637
I find it extremely hard to believe that the Citizen has not inputs, but I suppose there is always a first.

Since I am unable to obtain a manual for that unit with a Google search, it appears that you are at an impass.

Post Number: 8
Hi ieee488,

I guess I should qualify my comment that "there are no input connection(s) on the vcr/dvd combo". While there are no Y, R, W input connections, there is the RF input (coax) connection (and the corresponding RF out). My previous Standard Def Satellite receiver had 2 coax connections, so the connections would have been coax in from dish to sat receiver, coax out from sat receiver to vcr and then coax out from vcr to TV. But as I had mentioned the new High Definition Satellite receiver only has 1 coax so there is no way to connect it to vcr/dvd. Had I pulled everything apart to begin with and not just wiggled the units out of their cubby-holes as far as the cables would allow me (connecting colours to colours with the aid of a flashlight ), I would have realized that, with both the HD Sat receiver and the vcr/dvd only having outputs, there was no way to connect the 2 units. Live and Learn.

I have recently read that there is some sort of converter box that might solve my problem but I have not done enough research yet to understand this fully. Probably best to opt for a new vhs/dvd recorder anyway.

Many thanks & best regards
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us