SXRD projector

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 793
Do the Sony SXRD projectors (Pearl?) have the same problem I hear about with the RPTVs?
Whatever you call it....green blob / haze and the like?

Bronze Member
Username: Lucky101

HydeabadUnited States

Post Number: 40
What I have got for you is this..
Check it out..

The optical blocks in SXRD models appear to have defects that cause predominantly green blobs, green haze, and/or yellow stains, although other discolorations (e.g., magenta-colored tint) also occur. An Opinion and Order from a class-action lawsuit on the 2005 models provides unique insight into the causes of the discolorations. A majority of the green issues that appeared in the 2005 SXRDs (the green blobs) arose almost immediately after they were put into service, often occurring near the middle of the screen, sometimes being donut-shaped. Sony claims that they identified and fixed that issue ("temperature fluctuations at the calibration stage of the assembly line") within a month of the start of production. Sony claims that this only affected the first ~7,000 TVs to be produced. Sony also claims that other minor causes of green issues (the green haze) were identified and fixed by 1/2006, although no details were provided.

Most likely, all of the green discolorations occurred due to the presence of improperly polarized light in the green channel, arising from defective green polarizers and/or SXRD panels. There is more recent evidence from a subsequent SXRD class action lawsuit that green haze can be caused by skin oil or debris introduced during the manufacturing process (presumably, optical block assemblers touching the parts with their bare fingers). However, Sony claims that they cleaned such optical block parts in a clean room prior to releasing them.}

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2233
My RPTV, an SXRD is beginning to die.
I'm fairly up on the class action and how Sony continued to produce stuff they knew was defective or had a limited lifespan.

Question is:: do the Pearl projectors have the same problems? Are they reliable? Lamp problems? Light engine problems? Install problems.

I want my next TV to be my last. and to last.

Username: Zobeii77

Pakistan

Post Number: 9
Many SXRDs are just a time bomb waiting to go off. You don't want to drop cash into fixing this when you don't know what the results are and especially considering these issues are recurring problems.

$850 is too much IMO. Reliable brand new 50" Panasonic or Samsung 720p plasmas are available for just a little more. And IMO, the plasma will give a much better picture. Not to mention you could probably get a brand new 60" DLP for about the same price you are asking. And a new TV comes with a warranty too which the SXRD would not. Having an SXRD w/o a warranty is not a good thing!

Zobeii..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2331
I was with you right up until you mentioned DLP!
If SXRD is 'a time bomb waiting to go off', than DLP is the car that just drove off the cliff.

Sony owns or holds a dozen or more patents dealing with light engine and light engine cooling. It doesn't appear they used many of them in the SXRD light engine.
I was just wondering if they spent any more time and resources on the projectors. IF they properly engineered the projector and it doesn't have the same issues as the RPTVs, than I'd be tempted. IF the light engine in the projectors are no better from an engineering standpoint, forgetit!

Also, for those who MUST continue with SXRD, light engines are available for about 300$ and can be replaced by a motivated DIY person. You need to send your dead light engine BACK to the rebuilder......

I'd still love to hear from someone with direct SXRD projector experience and knowledge of the differences in light engines between them and the RPTVs using the same technology.

Bronze Member
Username: Zobeii77

Pakistan

Post Number: 23
Leo Stierer,

If you have the room for the SXRD, I would go with that. Flat panels are great if you only have limited space but I do think the SXRD has a better picture. Also a comparable size SXRD is cheaper. You can probably find a 55" or 60" SXRD for the same price as the 50" 'brand-name' plasma.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2338
And spend 300$ every couple years for a light engine....just the part?
You'll also have to take it apart every couple years and make sure to clean the fans. One overheat and that's it. I run the fan on 'high' which may help.

If you are 'local', I've got a 60" sitting in the garage and it has your name on it. Make me an offer. OH, it works fine, even the perfect remote, but will need a light engine sooner than later.

NO more Sony for me, EVER.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us