Copy Protected TV Broadcasts?

Username: Curtweiss

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a Samsung VR375 DVD recorder. I tried recording a DVR recorded program to a DVD and got a Copy Protection warning which wouldn't allow me to record it. I tried recording a program off of HBO to DVD and the same thing happened. I then tried the TODAY show on NBC and got the same message.

Is this a new thing that programs being broadcast over the air are copy protected?

thanks,
Curt

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4278
They've been copy protected for years. You need a stabilizer. I use a $20 one from MCM Electronics. It works fine except it garbles the closed captions.

Post Number: 2
Thanks David. Is this the item you're referrring to?:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/80-4280

Its only got a single RCA in and out. How would this connect between a DVR and a DVD recorder or a Cable box and a DVD recorder? What about the audio?

thanks,
Curt

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 429
I have no problems copying my recorded TV programs to DVD.
I have the Magnavox H2160MW9.
I only have basic cable.

As for that device, the audio is a don't care. Just connect it directly.

Don't be surprised if the device doesn't work for your needs.

That device is a stablizer and is hardware. The copyright protection scheme that your cable company uses is software which means that the copyright protection mechanism is part of the program that you recorded on the DVR's hard drive. The DVD recorder that you have reads that copyright protection information and refuses to do what you want to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4281
That's it and it works fine. The CP is just a flag that the DVD recorder reads and denies recording. The stabilizer removes the flag and allows recording.

There's an adjustment inside the box that needs to be turned all the way to the right. Be gentle with it and don't break it.

The only drawback is it garbles the closed captions. Audio isn't copy protected.

To connect you just use it on the video cable from DVR to DVD.

Post Number: 3
Got the stabilizer. Doesn't work. Opened it and turned the dial to the right. Still doesn't work.

Hmmmmmm.....

CW

Gold Member

Post Number: 4288
You've got a new battery in it? You've got it connected so the "in" is connected to the source and the "out" is connected to the recorder?

The adjustment has to be turned all the way to the right on mine, until it stops and won't go any further. If it doesn't work there, experiment until you find where it works. The easiest way to find about where it needs to be is to turn on the closed captions if your recorder/TV has them. The CC will get garbled when you've got it in the right place. You may still need to do a little fine tuning from there.

My sister had a Samsung recorder that did the same thing even with non protected programming, it ended up being defective.

I don't know how much content on networks is copy protected but everything on HBO is.

Bronze Member
Username: Ella

Post Number: 23
Hi,
The only stabilizer that really works with protected TV channels is Grex:
Grex Advanced digital video stabilizer with high quality S-Video support

Here is the connection you need:
How to copy protected TV channels to DVD with Grex

Gold Member

Post Number: 4299
B/S, I have a $20 stabilizer that works fine. Nice try Grex spammer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thanks anti spam filter.
I was looking for something else non Grex and found nothing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4301
Didn't look very hard. For the price of a Grex you can get a TBC which works better than ANY stabilizer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
First of all I'm cool with my Grex.

And if you insist I will insist too. Grex is the best for it's price.
If not give me a name of other stabilizer with same features for less price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4303
Like I already said, for that price you can buy a TBC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Grex price is not so high.
Give me a name of TBC that can do all the Grex can?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4304
A TBC does far more than ANY stabilizer. I paid $20 for my stabilizer which works fine. The Grex is 5 times that much. I'd definitely call that high.

I'm done here. People know there's other options. You're obviously connected to Grex. Every post you've made here is a Grex spam.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Mercedec is definitely expencive compared to fiat. Both drive. But you can not compare prices and ability to drive. There is a much more. Video quality, Protections removed. Grex can remove all Macrovision levels for example. I have not found any other stabilizer that removes Macrovision Level 2 and 3. (See features http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html#FEA). This feature is vital for DVD recording. Grex can remove Digital Broadcast Protection Flags (http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html#TVG) and so on.

Username: Cool_kid

AURORA, IL

Post Number: 5
The people hear are working at Wl-mart - the company does not pay for thier health insurance - so they will need to really save money so anything over $50.00 is to expensive

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
If the price is really so critical for you you can go to support link
http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html#EML
and ask for xmas discounts. I'm quite sure they can do it.
Thanks god I can afford it for the full price.

Username: Tonyq4

Grex does not have a direct cable input (75 ohm) cable. Only has rca inputs or svideo. How do you install Grex between cable input and dvd recorder without this 75 ohm cable connection????

Username: Fredia

America

Post Number: 5
You can ask the seller for help.

Username: Mountain_mike

Agoura Hills, CA US Of A!

I realize this is an ancient post but the internet is forever. I have been able to record onto my DVD Recorder until August of 2016 when TWC became Spectrum. Now I get an error message on my DVDR that reads, "copy protected". Is there a way to beat this? You'd think if Magnavox wants to sell DVDR's they's stop recognizing the copy protect flag.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 729
I am with Comcast.

About 4 years ago I was forced to use their DTA which unscrambles their TV signals.
The DTA has composite video+audio and HDMI outputs.

Unfortunately, my Magnavox does not have HDMI input.
So I can only record 480i Standard Definition.

Username: Muherd99

Huntington, WV United States

any new updated info on this

Username: Muherd99

Huntington, WV United States

Post Number: 2
what is a TBC

Username: Joshferguson

Miami, Florida »‡ ¨

Post Number: 3
That's it and it works fine. The CP is just a flag that the DVD recorder reads and denies recording. The stabilizer removes the flag and allows recording.

There's an adjustment inside the box that needs to be turned all the way to the right. Be gentle with it and don't break it.

The only drawback is it garbles the closed captions. Audio isn't copy protected.

To connect you just use it on the video cable from DVR to DVD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us