Samsung hls5086wx xaa Screen Goes black after 30 seconds

Username: Dflo1616

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have a Samsung hls5086wx xaa that I have had for 4 years. I replaced the lamp on it 18 months ago and its been working great until yesterday. When you turn it on it comes on fine with a great picture but after 30 seconds the screen turns off (goes black) and the Standby/Temp light flashes Red and the Timer and Lamp lights flash green. I have unplugged it, taken out the lamp and re-seated it cleaned out the entire housing and removed all dust with an air can. The fan is running and the lamp turns on when powered on but after 30 seconds they shut down. I was leaning towards a new lamp but now I think it might be something else. It doesnt feel hot but I think the TV is shuttinig down because it thinks it is overheating. Before I plunk down $100 on a new lamp I want to make sure its nothing else.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Danny

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1861
Try unplugging the lamp and plugging it back in.
Are the connections corroded? I don't mean 'rusty', but rather discolored or oxidized. Where the wire gets crimped on, is THAT discolored or oxidized?
I think you can buy a new pigtail for the Sammys.
Heat causes these problems.

My Sony, about 2 weeks after I had the lamp out to clean / inspect the lamp and mounts simply wouldn't start. I exercised the connections and the problem stayed away until the lamp died a natural death at about 7500 hours.

Username: Dflo16

Post Number: 1
Thank you Magfan, I think your spot on. I took the lamp out and the two red wires running into a cable clamp look oxidized, See attached picture, Do I need a new clamp or just new cables? Where do you think I can pick these up at? Thanks again.
}Upload

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1934
I can't vouch for them as a retailer, but somebody like 'Discount Merchant' may carry such pigtails.

And, it's not the wire but the CONNECTION which will oxidize and create a high resistance connection.

This is the kind of stuff I was thinking of::

http://www.discount-merchant.com/lamp-accessories-s/205.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us