Audio works, Video doesn't

Username: Tom_curran

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung DVD/VHS combo unit and recently our TV went out and we had to buy a new one. I have a DVD recorder hooked up and the DVd/VHS combo hooked to the recorder. Everything was working fine with the old TV but with the new TV they want you to use their Line 1 and Line 2.. I have my DVD/VHS connected to my DVD recorder with RCA plugs...coming from the output of the DVD player to the input of the DVD recorder. On the old TV i could press the Video button for our cable that said VCR and it would go into video mode and i could switch to thd DVD player with the DVD recorder remote..Now i go to switch to AV1 like i used to and it gives a no signal but i hear the DVD playing...Can the video part of a DVD player burn out and the audio still work?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 400
My guess is that you don't have everything connected right and that your Samsung isn't broken.

I am confused about the currect connections.

Samsung video out is connected to DVD recorder video in via RCA cables (yellow+red+white)?

DVD recorder video out connected to new TV Line 1 via RCA cables (yellow+red+white)?

You also mention cable box? How is that connected?

Post Number: 2
The coaxiale cable coming from the cable box goes into the DVD recorders in terminal and i have a coaxial cable hooked to the out terminal on the dvd recorder that goes into the back of the TV set.
This is the same way i had it set up before with the last TV we had.
But with this TV this setup isn't working.

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
This is how I would connect everything:

1.) DVD recorder RF out ---> TV RF in using coax cable
[this is for the TV signals; I am assuming that the DVD recorder's RF in is passed through to the RF out]

2.) DVD recorder Line out ---> TV Line in1 using yellow+red+white RCA cables

3.) Samsung Line out ---> TV Line in2 using yellow+red+white RCA cables

4.) Samsung Line out ---> DVD recorder Line in using yellow+red+white RCA cables
=================================================

Set the TV to source=TV to watch TV and use the TV's remote to change channel

Set the TV to source=Line1 to watch something you have recorded on the DVD recorder

Set the TV to source=Line 2 to watch something on the Samsung

Post Number: 3
This is not how i want it set up. I want to be able to record off my DVD player like i did before our old TV broke down. Before it broke down i was able to record a DVD from my Samsung DVD player to my DVD recorder. I was able to do this with the remote from the dish network cable company and it would be on VIDEO mode constantly..All i would have to do is use my samsung dvd recorder remote and push the button and change the channel to AV1. Which is the name of the IN port on the back of the DVD recorder. I could easily get both players to work..What i am trying to do is merge them both together on one channel. Right now at present i have it hooked up the same way as i did before. When i switch the TV to VIDEO 1 it says NO SIGNAL but yet i can hear the sound from the DVD clearly. Just NO PICTURE. Very odd. When i unplugged the jacks from the DVD player to the Samsung recorder and used new cords and plugs i plugged into the in for the Samsung Recorder then i went to plug in to the Samsung DVD player and it made a noise..Almost like a noise like something isn't grounded..A staticy noise. I am at my wits end with this thing ...I feel like taking this TV back and getting a new one...}

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
You can take back the new TV and get a new one, but unless you understand what is going on with your connections, the end result will still be failure.

Post Number: 4
Actually when my old TV went out i merely unhooked the yellow, white and red RCA cord from the back of the dead TV and unscrewed the coaxial cable going into the dead TV. Then put the new TV up in its place and put the same connections back the same way i had them on the dead TV...Which is why i don't understand why it worked fine with the dead TV and why it will not work with the NEW one. Like i said
the new one insists i use LINE 1 and LINE 2 and apparently will not allow me to use my DVD recorder remote to access my DVD player which i could normally access it by pushing the change channel button to AV1..Which is the name of the in terminals in the back of the DVD recorder. I had the Samsung DVD hooked up to LINE 2 and it works fine..But then they are playing on two different channels and not merging..So i cannot record a DVD from the player to the DVD recorder since they are on two different channels. I am at my wits end...I have hooked up audio video equipment for years...Its weird how when i switch to AV1 and i turn the DVD player on and play the DVD that i hear the audio but no picture. And i bought new cords too..Although i knew nothing was wrong with the old ones since they were working fine with the old TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us