Hook up dvd recorder to satellite tv

Username: Martiechick

Post Number: 5
Hi, I have a Sony DVD recorder with a Vizio tv and Directv satellite box. I thought I could just use the same hookups I did for my VCR to record from the satellite, but it doesn't work. Here's what I had for the vcr:

RCA cables and S video AV1 on tv to out vcr and s video out on vcr
RCA cables in on vcr to out on directv

Everything worked fine for the vcr, but that setup doesn't work for the dvd recorder. I tried it and I get sound from the tv, but no picture, but the menu on the dvd recorder works. I can also watch a dvd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 402
The TV is NOT providing the video and audio signals; the Direct TV box is. So you need to connect Direct TV video+audio out to Sony video+audio in using sVideo+RCA cables. This will allow you to record on the Sony.

To view what is recorded on the Sony on the TV, connect Sony video+audio out to TV video+audio in using RCA cables (yellow+red+white).

Post Number: 6
I tried that. Currently, I have the video and audio out (on dtv) to video and audio in on dvd recorder. A second set of rca cables goes from out on dvd to AV1 in on tv. I am able to access the dvd menu, and watch dvds, but get no picture. I get sound, but just a gray screen for picture.

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
You can watch DVDs but get no picture?
I don't understand.

I have read that Sony DVD recorders can be picky about refusing to record TV programs that it considers to be copyrighted.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RDR-VX555-Tunerless-Recorder-Player/dp/B000NTME98

Post Number: 7
Well I acquired the redorder from a relative of mine, and now I spectulate maybe he used it for a different purpose. He had DVR from DirecTV (which I do not have), and I wonder if he used the DVR to record from the tv and then took that and recorded it to a DVD with the DVD recorder.

Could I be mssing a cord? Do I need a box or something similar?

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
You didn't answer my question about "no picture".
What does that mean when you also say that you can watch DVDs.

Post Number: 8
I just get a gray screen, and sound coming from the channel it was on. I don't know if it comes from the tv or the directv box.

I can put in a dvd and watch it. The player recognizes dvds.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
First, you need to set the TV's remote to AV1 to watch a program that you recorded on the Sony.

Second, my guess is that you did not set the Sony correctly to the right "channel" to record a TV show.

To record any TV show no matter what, you need to set the Sony to record on LINE IN1. And you need to set the DTv box to the channel you want to record. This is only way to do this.

You have to be there in person to make this happen. No more timer recordings.

Post Number: 9
I tried it as you explained and I still get a gray screen, and no picture. I had the tv on AV1 and the sony on L1, and I get the same thing. I can, however, change the channel on the dtv box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
If you have the TV on AV1 and the program that you thought you recorded on the Sony is bad, then you will see the grey screen. AV1 is only to watch recorded programs on the Sony. That is it. Nothing else.

Are you able to watch TV?

Post Number: 10
No. I tried recording something from the gray screen, and it worked and I was able to "watch" it, but just the sound, There was no picture. I tried switching to different inputs both on the tv and the recorder, and I get nothing. No sound or picture.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
Are you able to watch a TV program? Not something on the recorder, just a simple TV program.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
No. All I get is sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
Well, then you have bigger problems than not being able to record on the DVD recorder.

you need to connect:
1.) DTV video+audio out2 to AV2 on TV
so you can watch TV
2.) DTV video+audio out1 to LINE IN1 on Sony
so you can record
3.) Sony video+audio out to AV1 on TV
so you can watch what you recorded

set TV's remote to AV2 to watch TV
set TV's remote to AV1 to watch program recorded on Sony

Do this exactly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Okay I'll ty it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I tried the setup you suggested, and it kinda worked. The satellite set itself up, so I was able to watch tv on AV2. I try to record it, and they in playing it back, all I got was sound on AV1, because I think it was recording off of AV1. That's also where the menu pops up AV1.

What am I doing wrong?

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
Good, so at least you can watch TV.

Next, use the TV's remote to set it for AV1. That's it for the TV's remote. Then, take the Sony's remote and set the "channel" for the Sony to LINE IN1. Push the button for record. After you are finished recording, use the Sony's remote to choose the program that was just recorded and play that program. That's it. You don't do any else with the TV's remote.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Will that work even if the tv plays on AV2? I would think it would just record sound, even if the sony is on Line in 1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
AV2 = audio + video

LINE IN1 = audo + video

just different ways of referring to the same type of connections

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
It doesn't work. I tried recording, and only got sound. No picture because it was recording from AV1 - the channel where everything for the DVD player/recorder pops up, including the menu. Watching tv from the directv only works on AV2, not on AV1. I only get sound on AV1, and still a gray screen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
I have no idea what you are doing.

You need to find someone who can be there in person to see what you are doing wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us