Is DVI to HDMI connection ok?

Username: Azrich

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 1
Comcast will be coming out to connect their Motorola HD DVR cable box to our Sony KDF50WE655 next week. The Comcast box has a DVI-D Out connection and the Sony has a HDMI connection. Is this type of connection ok or does the digital signal get changed in any way? The other option is using component cables but I thought HDMI would be better. This is all new to me so any help would be appreciated. Also, any good lower priced cables besides Monster cables? Hate to pay their prices. Isn't a cable a cable? Is the Monster brand really that great?

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 11
I have the Motorola Dual Tuner DVR and hooked it up to my JVC D-ILA with the DVI -> HDMI cable. I obtained my cable from RAM electronics on-line and have been very impressed with it's quality (at one-half the price of Monster).

HDMI also support digital audio (I am not sure about DVI-D). However, since I have a surround sound system, I run a seperate optical cable (also from RAM) directly to my amp, so don't really care about the audio connection to my D-ILA TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 17
Some experts indicate that there is some minor video signal loss in going from HDMI to DVI. But this greatly depends on the components involved and the acuity of your eyesight. The same could be said of component input/outputs. These things are very equipment sensitive and dependent. In HDMI/DVI installations, the signal remains digital in form from source to display device. In the case of the component hookup, the signal is upconverted. There are situations where the component input results in a better picture. You just have to try it. As to cable, Monster generally uses high quality materials in its products. However, for short cable runs or unless you own extremely high end equipment, I doubt you would notice any visual difference between the expensive stuff and the generic. I own both types of cable and in side by side comparisons I have seen no difference other than the fact that the Monster cable is obviously constructed of much better materials.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 193
If you have a HDMI>DVI cable, why would their be signal loss??

My understanding is the cables are identical, and the only difference is the type of adaptor installed at each end.

You know.......Kind of like having a male plug at one end, and a female at the other.

Why would there be a loss?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
There is no loss, Dale's experts are not so expert after all. A one is a one and a zero is a zero.

xvxvxvx

Username: Jfarrell

Is there any loss in using a 15' hdmi or optical cable vs 4'?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 210
Well I don't vouch for them. But if you read the very detailed article in Benchmark (Home Theater) that is what they suggest.

Unregistered guest
Comcast does not yet offer an HDMI interface directly on their set top boxes only a DVI. You can use a DVI to HDMI converter cable however you will need a secondary path for the audio. (Remember DVI only carries Video, HDMI carries both Audio and Video).. Comcast needs to get with it and get a contractor (Motorola etc) to build a set top with a HDMI interface.

Anybody else solve this a different way?

TVPerson
Unregistered guest
I just spoke with Comcast (DC Area) and they still do not have plans to upgrade their boxes from DVI to HDMI. I am really surprised by this situation, as that company serves many major markets.

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 24
I've done searches online for DVI-HDMI plugs...I bought 2 of them for about 25.00 each. Which is a steal when compared to a Monster Cable ::rolls eyes @ 99.99 price::...

The only problem with having to do DVI to HDMI is that you need audio jacks to get audio because DVI does not support it...

The quality is identical, so don't worry about that as I have 2 HDMI TV's, one has the cable box with DVI and an upconversion DVD player with DVI as well...then the other has an upconversion DVD player with HDMI and a cable card...

The only quality difference is the comparison between the cable card and the DVI box...the card has better PQ. However, my DVD players have outstanding quality...at least for what's currently available anyways..

rogerb
Unregistered guest
I just got my new comcast cable box and it has an hdmi output, just wanted to let you guys know.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 115
Posted this in another thread>

Here's some info for you: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=479369#POST479369

PS: I hope the Hollywood types that added the copyright BS to the data stream go to an early grave... That they go to hell, and spend the rest of time trying to get a dvi and a hdcp set to work together (DVI does not have the HDCP handshake -AKA HDMI.. so it will never work)

One last thing... you can bet on Hollywood forcing a new plan into effect once HDMI-HDCP is cracked... DVI only lasted a year according to the above info.. Wonder how long before HDMI goes away... and we all have to buy all new "stuff".

Thank you Hollywood... (Hey Hollywood, drop the price of a DVD to around $10 and no-one would bother copying... Or buying a bootleg version.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
PS: I', pretty sure about the above...

I've got a JVC 61z575 with a a HDMI port ont he back and from what I've read the soucrs HAS to be HDMI /HDCP.... OR maybe a DVI-I with and adapther on one end to convert to analog component.
If anyone thinks the JVC wil accept a DVI-I inout with just a DVI-I to HDMI cable. straight digital feed feel free to post.

geno001
Unregistered guest
To: rogerb
What city are you in and what cable box make/model did you get? Does it include single or dual PVR capability?

geno001
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a Comcast cable box with HDMI out? If so please provide City and details.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Here's the deal.. If your TV set has a HDMI input, the component your signal is coming from has to have HDCP in the signal.

DVI +Audio+ HDCP =HDMI

HDMI is DVI, with audio AND HDCP (COPYRIGHT BS)

You don't have to use the "audio" part of the data stream, but you DO need the HDCP part.

I just got a DVI- to HDMI cable.. works just fine. (JVC HD-61z575, and Samsung SIR-T451 Tuner) it is being run from output of the tuner via DVI (With HDCP embedded) using a cable DVI- to HDMI. Audio is via analog.

To those asking about cable boxes, if it was me I'd call my provider. Differant boxes are used in differant parts of the country so if in my area for example they DID provide a HDMI box with HDCP and in your area they didn't the fact they did in my area wouldn't help you out would it?

Here's a tip... go by your cable company in the morning, before the installers have left and ask them your concerns... Ask to see one of the boxes.. Seems like they would know, if CS has no clue.

If nothing else you could ge the model number off the box(s) they are using, then contact the mfg directly to see if it has HDCP, if your set "needs" it.

fx
Unregistered guest
All cable boxes will be HDCP compatible mr notalone. What will sometimes be incompatible is the displays or receivers. So don't bother calling your local cable companies, just purchase HDCP compatible devices.

For that matter DVI is constrained by HDCP as well.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Fx,

Not all DVI devices output HDCP if I'm reading other posters comments. For example ATI cards with DVI out don't according to what other posters have reported.

If HDMI is a standard, it's a poor one if so many people are having trouble. I read post after post people having problems with xyz video card, receiver/tuner, etc. I bet alot of the problems people are having would be greatly reduced IF the HDCP bs wasn't there.... That mfg's could focus on the product itself itstead of focusing on the HDCP crap.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Not all DVI devices output HDCP if I'm reading other posters comments. For example ATI cards with DVI out don't according to what other posters have reported.

Argeed, I never said they did. I said all STB's provided by your cable company will be HDCP compliant. DVI as a specification is HDCP compliant not necessarily the device connected to the DVI spec'ed cable.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Fx, I know exactly what you were saying.

I can only hope the Hollywood types that added all this BS in go to an early grave, ending up in hell with non-compliant, early devices with buggy software/hardware and they spend the rest of time trying to get them working together.

Username: Antmanv1

Post Number: 4
i have to tell you guys, i just got a Comcast DCT 6400 HD box and it seems to be very inconsistant. one day the HDMI-DVI works, today it came up "not supported in HDMI mode. sometimes a show (Rome ,for instance) fills the 16x9 screen, another day it's letterbox. I don't know if I have a bad box or just bad inconsistant service from Comcast due to technology issues. does anyone else have these problems? one more question. sometimes I want to watch TV and use the TV for audio. sometimes I want to run the sound through my reciever. the problem is the DCT 6400 only has one audio out for each componant. can i split one component audio (one to TV/ one to the reciever without sacrificing sound quality. BTW-it's a Samsung HR-R4667W TV. thanks,
Scott

Unregistered guest
I would like to know if buy a Westinghouse 32" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Panel LCD TV with DVI and PC Inputs is good? Or should I wait till the HDMI and DVI deal is settled? If all cables are going to the HDMI format will Optical be removed? I have a 6.1 DTS ES system and I don't want to stay with component if DVI goes bye bye and the new HDMI don't have optical out. Advice please.

Username: Dla

Mesa, Arizona USA

Gonzii,

This has been a question that I have thrown around a lot...not here though. I bought a HDTV about 7 months ago and it had DVI input. I knew all about HDMI and still opted for the DVI (and the great deal I got with 60 month replacement, anyway) after 7 months of investigating this I am happy with my decision. There is no huge problem having DVI inputs compared to HDMI,IMHO...the signal is the same less audio but I use optical for my video any way. By the way mine is DVI/HDCP a DVI-D I believe it's called.

chiaki
Unregistered guest
Hdmi won't phase out optical for a long time (if it ever does). Surround systems with hdmi switching affordable to the masses will not happen in the foreseeable future. Also, cablecard will skyrocket when 2 way communication is achieved. Current displays are unable to output hdmi to the receiver for sound and optical is the only solution. The intent now is ease of setup for those without surround systems. I advise to purchase said tv. Obtain dvi/hdmi adapters for future component compatibility.

123syco
Unregistered guest
I called comcast (my current box has dvi out). They have a newer model with hdmi output but i have to take my older box into a comcast store location and get the other one. They wont (of course) come and swap it out.

Username: Jsbeck

I recently just purchased a samsung plasma and am having trouble in receiving a DVI (comcast box) to HDMI (TV) signal on my TV. I am currently getting "mode not supported" error on my tv for all of the normal channels but do receive the high defintion channels through this mode. I can receive all channels through the traditional componnent hookup. In talking with Samsung they believe it is due to Comcast only supporting HDMI 1.0 while the TV supports 1.1. Comcast, of course, claims it is not their issue but has no idea why I am getting the error. Is there any validity to the 1.0 vs 1.1 HDMI?

Username: Delax

Post Number: 2
Jason and all: I have benefited a lot from this forum so now its payback time. I have a Samsung 56 DLP. I had the same problems for nearly three weeks and kept getting the same message (mode not supported) when I hooked up my cable box (Moto DCT 5100) via a DVI to HDMI cable. I was getting all the HD channels crystal clear, but could not get any of the 0-99 lower channels via the HDMI. I had to use the RF to get the lower channels. Comcast changed boxes at least four times and sent their techies over on at least five occasions to troubleshoot, but no luck. Trust me, the first chance I get, I am going to ditch COMCAST - they have no clue what's going on. Frustrated by this and also by the wife who was frustrated looking at the time I was spending on this, I decided to take matters in my own hands. Eureka - two hours of research online on this forum and the Moto website, I was able to fix it and get all my channels (including the lower ones) thru the HDMI - the viewing experience is awesome now. Here's the solution. I went to the Moto website and downloaded the user manual. I then went into the menu settings of the cable box and selected my high def broadcast resolution as 1080i. The next option was a 4:3 override option - basically, telling the box what to do for the 4:3 channels (the lower channels 0-99). In the case of the Moto, if the 4:3 override is set to off, then the lower channels default to 1080i. Since these are not broadcast in 1080i, you get an error message saying "mode not supported". Set the 4:3 override option to either 480i or 480p (the standard def signal) and you should get all your channels (the lower 0-99 and the HD) via the HDMI cable. The 480i also did not work for my TV (Sammy HL-R5667W), but the 480p works beautifully - Hope this helps

Username: Dinosaurus

This board has a lot of well informed people it sounds like. Maybe someone can answer my question? So i was looking at the difference between the samsung 4095d and the 4096d. It looks like there are only two real differences, the 4096 has a cable card, which I'm not going to use. But also, it has "comb-filtering." I assume however, if I use hdmi on my ps3, and on my new cable box that comb-filtering won't matter. Is this a correct assumption?

Username: Dizzle613

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

k. Im going to be getting the Rogers DCT3250 High Definition Cable Box to go along with a Sony bravia tv. The HD cable box is DVI output and the TV is HDMI, so if i buy a monster HDMI/DVI cable would i experience the same picture quality as an HDMI cable? I know sound will be different so in that case im assuming a monster optical audio cable will replace whatever audio signal the monster HDMI cable provided.. so in the end the HDMI/DVI cable with the optical audio cable will be equivalent to a monster HDMI cable in terms of sound and picture quality right?

Username: Bakhshu

PA USA

To answer on of the members' questions about Monster cables and pricing - those prices are insanely high. I have bought HDMI, optical, gold tipped audio/video jacks from ebay (trusted sellers) for very little and been more than happy with them. A couple of weeks ago, I bought four 6 foot HDMI/DVI cables on ebay and their shipping included was $22. They work great. Don't get ripped off

Username: Spud1

Hamilton, Ontario Canada

i have a moto hd cable box with dvi out and my sony bravia has hdmi in.i used a dvi to hdmi monster cable to connect them and everthing was fine 4 two years.recently i noticed hd channels still great but when switching 2 a regular cable channel from hd channel the picture is blue-purple color.i was told by tv repair guy its the cable box and by the cable box company its the tv. any answers ?

Username: Irr5

Brights grove, Ontario Canada

I have an existing surround system comprising of a Yamaha Tuner, without either DVI or HDMI in/outputs, a Sony XBR 52" LCD TV, with HDMI 'in', (recent addition), a Sony Blue Ray Player, (with HDMI 'out"), and have Shaw, (was Star Choice), satalite HD PVR with DVI 'out'.
I have 5:1 surround Jamo speakers with a sub woofer.
Shaw tells me that I need a DVI to HDMI cable and that it will be identical in quality as a HDMI to HDMI connection.
I know I need to replace the tuner to an updated unit with HDMI in/outputs. I currently have component video and fibre optics connetions between my existing equipment but realise I will need DVI to HDMI cable from my HD PVR.
Will my video and audio quality be as stated for 1080P or am I going to think about a different server that has a PVR with a HDMI output?, do I need additional audio cables?, (I currently have audio connection between my current tuner and the TV)}.
Thanks people.
Ian

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2575
With DVI, video quality will be the same as HDMI. DVI does not carry audio, so you'll have to provide for that by other means.

Instead of buying a permanent DVI to HDMI cable, the smart thing to do is buy a regular HDMI cable and mate it to a DVI to HDMI adaptor such as this. That way, when Shaw updates their equipment to HDMI, you will have a cable ready to go without having to re-purchase another cable.

Username: Mylkyd

Good advice John.
That will allow you to stay flexible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts