Im overwhelmed with different routes to take for analog to digital

Username: Inherindian

Post Number: 1
I have over 1,500 commerical VHS that i am looking to transfer onto my Mac mini( i have 2 external HD's totaling 2TB worth of space, hoping that will be addiquit...and i am becoming quite overwhelmed at all the diffrent devices to use.

Do i need something like the ADVC 110, or more high end like the grassvalley advc300, or will something more low ball like the pinnacle video capture mac do the trick. or even the neuros OSD?

Also what sort of vcr will yeild the best picture quality. JVC HR S9911, JVC S9500, or will something from the mid 90's work better? I doubt that the new DVD/VCR combos would be better but i am not sure?
or should i just do something like the ION VCR 2 PC

I just want to have the best quality picture i can get and i am willing to spend some more to get it

if anyone could help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly apreciated, for my girlfriend is getting fed up with all these VHS covering one whole living room wall.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4077
Putting all those tapes on HDDs is risky at best. It will take many hours to do all that work and if a HDD dies you've lost it all. Burning to DVD would be a lot safer, then you've got them for life if you use quality discs and store them right. To get that many tapes in decent quality would take a lot more space than you've got. If you want good quality, figure on about 4 gigs/2 hours.

Then again, that's just me. Some people think half that much is good enough. It just depends how picky you are about quality.

A good standalone recorder would probably be the way to go. Good standalones have noise reduction that can make VHS look better than the tape itself. I don't know if you can get 1500 discs out of a standalone though.

You could always get them on the PC and burn to disc from there.

The best VCRs you can get are probably the JVCs with built-in TBCs. You'd have to find one on ebay or somewhere like that since they aren't being made anymore.

Username: Inherindian

Post Number: 2
now by standalone do you mean some sort of Uber DVR or something more along the lines of the Sony DV Direct?

and would putting them striaght to DVD with the standalone then on to the Mac be faster then doing it through VCR hooked up to a Analog/Digtal box to the mac?

and the picture quality would be better with the standalone than with a decent VCR and Analog/Digtal converter box?

for my end all goal is to have a movie libray on my computer

so if the standalone is the way to go do you know of a good one off hand or if not what whould be the best digital/analog convert. box?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4078
A standalone is the same as a VCR that records DVDs.

I don't use a PC for anything other than editing. If you want help with that, try here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us