Charter HDTV

Malcolm
Unregistered guest
I never see much about Charter Cable and HDTV. Does anyone know when Charter in Greenville SC is going to get HD channels and local HD channels? They have been promising for as long as I can remember!

Unregistered guest
All I ever hear is that they are working on getting contracts with the local channels which doesnt make sense to me. I mean, you can get them free with an over-the-air antenna so why can't Charter just do that and pipe it through the cable. Anyway, I am in the same boat you are Malcolm and if you have a TV that is HDTV Built-In and not just HDTV Ready, you can just spend about $120 on a Terk TV55 antenna and the Terk in-line amplifier to go with it and you will get all of the local channels in HD. The Terk in-line amplifier is a MUST. It makes all the difference in the world and is only $20 at Circuit City along with the $100 antenna (TV55). With Direct TV, you can use the antenna and the dish and a diplexer, which is the same as a splitter but it works backwards, 2 into 1. That way the local HD broadcasts come through your DirecTV box. I dont know if Charter's Motorola box will do the same. If anybody knows or has anymore usefull advice please let me know at jtarrant@charter.net Thanks a lot and good luck Malcolm.

Unregistered guest
I have the same complaint in Tennessee, Tullahoma, and have kept asking about it. By the way the radio shack AU-190-r anntenna works good within 75 miles and if you raise it 20 ft up.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I mean, you can get them free with an over-the-air antenna so why can't Charter just do that and pipe it through the cable.

For the same reason that you cannot charge admittance to your home to come over and watch the "free" channels.

xvxvxvx

Username: Adam_tyner

Post Number: 1
Malcolm: I've subscribed to Charter's HDTV service in Greenville, SC since September, and I'm sure it was available a good long while before that.

Their offerings are fairly paltry, though. If you subscribe to HBO or Showtime, you get those channels at no additional charge. They carry HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD Theater, and ESPN-HD as well. Some, if not all, of those are only available in a pack costing another $3.99 a month, in addition to the base charge of $3 a month for HD service. Charter hasn't bothered to do much with the local channels. Even though ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, the WB, and two PBS stations are readily accessible in HD locally, Charter's only bothered to add WYFF (NBC) to their HD lineup. (If you have a QAM tuner, you can manually get WSPA, the CBS affiliate, at C103.2, but that's going straight off the top of my head and may be a bit off.)

Sifl
Unregistered guest
GOOD NEWS: Adam is correct - there is SOME HD on Charter in the Upstate.

BAD NEWS: Adam is again correct - there is a very paltry selection, and different HD cable boxes from Charter offer different functions.

I got HD from Charter in March 2004 with a Motorola brand HD box (can't remember the part number). It would automatically handle the different inputs (480i 4x3 vs 1080i 16x9) and send the correct one to your television. I have opted to "upgrade" to the Motorola DVR with HD (model#BMC9012 where DVR is the more generic term for TiVo-like functionality). It is quite handy to have the DVR with all television, but also can record/pause/schedule the HD channels and watch them later also. I mentioned that the old HD box I had would do the signal switching for me, but the new one will not. I have to manually switch from 480i to 1080i to get the full effect, and also change the aspect ratio manually, whereas the old box did all that automatically.

We need to lobby for more local channels in HD. All the CBS and Fox NFL broadcasts are in HD -- but not on Charter. I expect a good bit of March Madness to be in HD on CBS, but not on Charter.

Still only 7 HD channels: HDNet, HDMovies, ESPN, Discovery, HBO, Showtime, and NBC.

Brikin
Unregistered guest
Sifl I am getting Charter HDTV service on Friday and I was thinking about the DVR. Having to switch the output from 480i to 1080i all the time sounds like it would suck though. What happens if you leave the output at 1080i then change the channel to a non-hdtv signal? Does it look bad? Thanks for any information.

Post Number: 2
Brikin: If you leave the output at 1080i and view a standard-definition channel, it'll upconvert and stretch the signal. Analog channels look pretty lousy through the DVR, but they're watchable. The appeal is really for digital material, especially high-definition video, and the way the Moxi stores that material, recorded shows are indistinguishable from watching it live (unlike a lot of other DVRs that recompress the material, with quality taking a hit in the process).

However, the next software update (3.2, tentatively due in March) is going to eliminate this problem, so 480i material can be passed as 480i, 720p as 720p, and 1080i as 1080i, not requiring everything to be converted to one single format. Analog SD material still won't look that great, but it should be a considerable improvement over what you're seeing now.

I personally am very much a fan of Charter's DVR and would recommend it. I'm looking forward to a version with either more capacity or expanded capacity; although it can store a ton of standard definition material, you're looking at only 8-9 hours of HD recordings. Since I primarily use it to timeshift HD movies, that's really not all that much.

Sifl: I can understand why ABC and the WB wouldn't be available in HD through Charter (the local affiliates are operated by Sinclair, who is extremely hostile to the idea of cable companies passing through their digital signals), but there's really not any excuse for not carrying CBS or Fox. It's almost beyond my comprehension that Charter wouldn't put any effort into trying to carry Fox in time for the Super Bowl. It doesn't affect me all that much since I can pick up all the local channels over-the air, but it would still be nice to be able to timeshift.

Brikin
Unregistered guest
When this update comes out will the DVR unit automatically get updated or will you have to call charter? This 3.2 update sounds nice but do you know if they are talking about having a way to force it to 1080i if HD and 480 if standard. My TV supports 1080i but not 720p so that would suck for me if a station outputs at that. The HDTV Motorola box that charter uses lets you select your HDTV resolution and your standard TV resolution and chooses the one depending on the signal I hope it works something like this.

Post Number: 3
The update will be downloaded automatically.

As far as I know, the "native passthrough" option should work the way you described. If you're interested, one of the guys from Digeo (the company behind the Moxi software) posts regularly at the AVS Forum and should be able to answer any questions you have.

Sifl
Unregistered guest
Adam: I am hopeful that the minor inconvenience of format switching (480i vs anything) will be rectified in the 3.2 update you mention. It's also nice to see that they can update the functionality remotely -- I'm guessing they're doing firmware upload to my DVR box? or is it some sort of setting on their end?

Now, WRT to the Sinclair thing, how does ESPN fall under that umbrella as they are sister networks to ABC under the Disney 800lb gorilla? We do get ESPN-HD, which BTW is fantabulous! So would I take it that the local carrier is more important for the ABC issue and not a factor in the ESPN thing since that's a national cable channel? These things seem more complicated than they ought to be.

I guess these are the trials of being early-adopters of HDTV...

Post Number: 4
Everything happens transparently, so you don't have to do anything to get an update...it's automatic, similar to the way it downloads program listings daily. Charter controls how things are distributed by market -- so just because Charter in St. Louis has a particular update or another cable provider using the Moxi nearby has a new feature doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it at the same time. (Case in point: Charter subscribers in St. Louis are finally able to use video on demand with the Moxi; at least as of yesterday, I'm still unable to here.)

You're right -- the ABC situation is local and is only an issue because Sinclair owns/operates the local affiliate. ABC as a whole isn't weighed down by this, and ESPN doesn't have any relationship at all with Sinclair.

Username: Sifl

Spartanburg, SC

well, I'm officially registered now, so the previous 2 posts by Sifl are mine.

Edsel
Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm new to posting here. i just got the Charter HD service in Greenville Sc and love everything except for not having FOX, ABC, CBS in HD. Instead I am getting the HD broadcast over the air with good success. Interestingly though, I believe something may be happening soon at Charter Last night I received a msg through the cable box that they are discontinuing channels 800+ as On demand PPV channels because of new demand for bandwidth on Feb. 28th. This leads me to believe that either the DVR or HD channel coverage of the locals will be increasing. Has anyone heard anything or gotten this message?

Username: Gwatts

Tryon, NC

New Moxie HDTV in Tryon, NC.

Yesterday a Charter technician said that he understood channels 2-700 would soon be digital (not HD), in a gradual rollout. He said that Tryon and Spartanburg are under the Asheville system whereas Greenville is different.

BTW, I have significant audio problems with some stations requiring maximal volume (settings and remote) to hear poorly and then of course changing channels > startling loud sound. Charter could not help.
Any ideas?

Peter-Gville
Unregistered guest
Heads up. Charter added about 5 more HD channels to the Greenville, SC market sometime in the last week, including the CBS affiliate, TNT, etc. I'm not a big Charter fan and am sharing this because you can't get information from them directly. I've tried DirectTV & OTA with marginal success (not enough to keep it), but have stuck w/ Charter for the time being. It will be a much more difficult decision after DirectTV adds their new satelites later this year.

Post Number: 5
Three new channels, not five, from what I hear. (I'm on the other side of the country on vacation and can't verify, but posts on the AVS Forum and an e-mail from one of my friends seems to confirm that it's these three channels.)

The new additions from last week are WSPA-D (CBS), Universal-HD, and TNT-HD.

The existing line-up is WYFF-D (NBC), HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, and Showtime-HD. I've been a subscriber since September, and until last week, the only change to the lineup was the addition of Discovery-HD and the removal of the by-then-inactive BravesVision channel -- I think things had been pretty stagnant for a good long while before that.

We have a pretty impressive number of the national channels now, and there aren't any we're missing that I'm really dying to have. I'd like to see more locals added, but WSPA was the one I had the most trouble with OTA, and I can get everything else rock-solid, so I can keep on waiting.

Apparently some Charter markets have Cinemax-HD and Starz-HD now, which we don't have in the Greenville area, but I think both of those channels are inessential. (Starz-HD has a pitiful number of movies in true HD, and anything of note debuting on Cinemax-HD usually winds up on HBO-HD within a couple of months.)

Edsel
Unregistered guest
I too am receiving 3 new HD channels including CBS, Unv-HD and TNT-HD over Charter cable in Greenville SC. CBS was online about a week after the other two had already broadcast. All that's left are FOX and ABC. No more going to the roof and moving the OTA for CBS or FOX... Yipppeee. I guess after launching the latest add campaign They decided they better stop "WORKING ON IT" and deliver... Two more locals to go guys... Let's get'r done...

Post Number: 6
Three locals -- Fox, ABC, and The WB. The local WB affiliate (WBSC) started broadcasting in HD last year.

UPN is still pending, but WASV's digital OTA broadcast isn't in HD, and as far as I know, that's probably not going to change anytime soon.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
I live in a small area in Minnesota that is served (monoplized) by Charter. I have been avoiding them for a long time. However, since my house is too far from a telephone switch station, I have to use cable modem for my highspeed Internet connection. As for TV, I have been using Dish Network for regular TV and Voom for HDTV (yes, there are 2 satellites sticking up on my roof and the Voom one has an ugly antenna. I am still supprised that the neighbors haven't complainted to the home owners assoc.) I have been reasonably happy with Voom for the HD quality and programming. However, I am disconnecting the Voom because of its recent statement of selling off its satellites and shutting down plus the fact that I have been waiting patiently for its DVR to come out. Because Charter keeps trying to get me to buy the complete package, I decided to give it a try. Here is what I found.
HD programming is way less than Voom. In my area, Charter only provides HD for NBC, CBS & FOX but no ABC, WB nor PBS. Also not available is STARZ-HD, CINMAX-HD, TMC-HD, SPICE-HD, TNT-HD, ENCORE-HD, HBOW-HD nor SHO(W)-HD.
The PQ for non-digital channels is subpar to satellite. They seem to have more noise.
The saving grace is the HD-DVR. Although I haven't have the chance to test everything, it seems to do everything it supposed to do. It can record 2 programs at the same time. The menu needs some getting use to, it is not as straight forward as the Dish 501. I hate the remote skip buttons. It skips forward 15min and back 7sec. It is totally useless. The Dish 501 skip forward 30sec and back 10sec., perfect for skipping commercials.
Charter uses the same regular (non-HD) box as comcast. You can found what people think about this box in other threads (e.g., the on-off button).

Post Number: 7
HD Guy: The problems you're having with the analog channels is with the DVR, not the actual signal that's coming down the pipe from Charter. This is going to improve with the next software update, but you might want to consider splitting the line and watching the analog channels directly on your TV and using the Moxi for just digital/HD channels. As for the skipping back/forth buttons, although I'd obviously prefer a 30 second skip too, I understand why Charter wouldn't enable that. Charter sells ad space, and by giving customers the ability to skip past commercials, they're just hurting their own bottom line, so I can see the appeal for a longer skip on their end.

In my neck of the woods, Charter just re-added BravesVision to the line-up (a channel primarily revolving around Atlanta Braves home games), giving us a total of eleven channels. My most recent bill said that the HD premium tier is going up from $3.99 to $6.99, but as long as they keep the content relatively beefy, I don't mind paying that extra few bucks. I'm very happy with their carriage of the national channels, but I'd still like to have more of the locals.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
Thanks Adam. Do you know which s/w update would fix the problem?

Post Number: 8
3.2 -- some providers have it already, but Charter requested some additional changes that'll delay it. I've heard late this month or early next.

cdrugly
Unregistered guest
I've been getting the OTA HD signals in Greenville for a while now. I just got the charter DVR because it will actually record HD programs (the HD Tivo is almost $1000).

I declined the HD package from Charter because of the paltry selection. I didn't event see CBS as being available as of last week.

http://www.charter.com/account/lineup/channel.aspx?ID=1044

770 HDNet
771 HDNet Movies
773 ESPN HD
774 Atlanta Braves Baseball - HD
775 Discovery HD Theater
777 HBO HDTV-East
778 Showtime HDTV-East
784 WYFF-DT - NBC
793 Universal HD
797 TNT - HD

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
The Charter HD line-up in Rosemount MN is even worse. Only 8 HD channels available which include the local CBS, NBC & FOX, no ABC, PBS nor WB, no DSC. It really sucks. I am one of those that got left behind by Voom so I was used to a ton of HD channels.

SGR
Unregistered guest
I live in Charleston WV, Charter is our service provider and we have a Mitsubishi WD-52525 we have a box. Our tv (with out going through the box) all the sudden picked up a bunch of digital stations but almost all were blank, we got some of the music channels. We had TNT HD for a while and now its gone and tv wont even go to the station anymore does anyone know why?

Unregistered guest
Does anyone here get HDNet Movies? If so, I am desparate to see a movie called "American Hot Wax" which I have not seen since I was a teenager. It's supposed to air on JDNet Movies this month (June). My cable company doesn't off HDNet Movies, but if anyone of you gets it, would it be possible to make a DVD dub of this movie for me to see? Please email me. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Carlos

Unregistered guest
any news on Charter HD in St. Louis:
I am wondering about the DVI port not working, and DiscoveryHD and TNTHD channels we do not have.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
If you call Charter customer service about the Moxi box, you will get directed to Digeo (the maker of Moxi). And if you tell them all these problems such as DVI not turned on, poor non-hd pictures, etc. and they will say that they are fully aware of the problems but don't know when or if they will be fixed.

On the other hand, Charter is guilty for not providing Discovery HD and many other HD stations that are pretty much basic HD programming in Comcast, TWC, Dish & Direct. In my area, Charter does not even carry the local ABC-HD, WB-HD nor PBS-HD.

ScottTX
Unregistered guest
Asking for help from Texas

Charter has HD programing in Texas just not in my area. They have admitted it is not available because of the lack of HD decoder boxes. I'm tired of waiting, does anyone know if it is possible for me to purchase a HD box somewhere and pick up the HD channels from Charter. If so, where could I find a HD/cable decoder box. I'm willing to pay Charter for the service, I just need the box. I don't want to switch to satelite.

Sincerely,

Scott

fx
Unregistered guest
Yes Scott you can buy a stolen box on E-Bay. No it will not work.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I currrently have a new 50' Grand WEGA. If stations are comming though as 1080i do I have HD programming? Keep in mind the TV doesd have a built in tuner

fx
Unregistered guest
The Sony's display the input signal. I would say that you are inputting an HD signal (1080i). Your Vega should display all signals at 720p (well really at 768p, but let us avoid that discussion for now).

What is your input source? A SAT box, a cable STB an OTA HD receiver?

xvxvxvx

ROJA
Unregistered guest
I have the coax from the wall going directly into the back of the WEGA. The display says 1080i on HBO, TNT, CBS, FOX and a a few more. When this display says 1080i, the picture is OUTSTANDING!

Thanks for the response

fx
Unregistered guest
This means that your cable company is sending those particular HD signals "in the clear" as it is termed. Most CC's do this but not all. I am assuming that this cable from you wall is going to the cable company.

Enjoy your new found HD channels. You do know that you could hook a regular antenna into one of the coax connections and do the same right?

xvxvxvxv

ROJA
Unregistered guest
Fx,

Thank you for your response. Even though they are in the clear, I still am missing 3 or 4 (ESPN being the one I wanted to most).

On to the next question, some of these are in 1080i and some are in 720i. I am assuming that the 720, isn't as "good". Ansd yes the cable companys coax is going directly into the television.

Thanks Again...

Unregistered guest
Any word on ABC and Fox HD from Charter in Greenville SC?

Username: Bloodta

Username: Bloodta

Post Number: 2

itBgary
Unregistered guest
I'd also LOVE to see ESPN2-HD now that College Football has returned.

Anonymous

In St. Louis I have MOXI and I bought an HDTV yesterday. I tried using the HDTV "set up" through MOXI and set my picture quality to 1080i but it always defaults back to the lowest setting 480i (therefore I'm not getting a 1080i picture, and it shows.) I have the DTV port connected to the TV's HDMI port, but this does't seemto be working either? Help? Does this sound like its a Moxi issue or a problem with the TV?

Unregistered guest
I'm in Wisconsin and receive Charter thru Fond du Lac. Charter gets its HD feed from Time Warner in Milwaukee. I have a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD display and a Yamaha Home Theatre receiver.

The problem I'm having is with intermittent audio pauses or freezes. Sometimes they are accompanied by video tiling or freezes. They usually last from 1-5 seconds. I had 8 of these in the first quarter of Monday night footbal on ABCHD, They only happen on the HD channels. They happen in both live and pre-recorded broadcasts.

Charter is stumped. They've replaced the MOXI box, added a line amplifier, reset their switches at HQ, given me free HD for 3 months all with no success.

Anyone else having these problems? Got a fix suggestion?

Waring Fincke

Post Number: 9
"Any word on ABC and Fox HD from Charter in Greenville SC?"

Don't hold your breath waiting for ABC in Greenville -- read my post from January 22nd for an explanation why.

No idea why Charter hasn't bothered with Fox. Some sort of negotiation hiccup, I guess.

Post Number: 10
I'm sure everyone around here already noticed this last week, but Cinemax-HD and the local PBS affiliate have been added to Charter's HD lineup in Greenville, SC.

Anonymous

Media Views: Viewers won't see Super Bowl in HD
By Dan Caesar
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Saturday, Jan. 21 2006

You've spent what amounts to a mortgage payment, or more, on a high definition
television set. You're opening the wallet for cable television service, the
price of which keeps rising.

But you don't mind, at least on Super Bowl Sunday. You'll be inviting the gang
to come over and see ABC's telecast of the big game, in a couple of weeks, on
your crystal-clear screen.

Well, the party may be over before it starts.

Charter Communications, which provides the service for more than 90 percent of
the homes in the St. Louis market that purchase cable television, does not
carry the HD version of ABC's local affiliate. The reason is that Sinclair
Broadcasting, which owns KDNL (Channel 30), is demanding to be paid for
allowing Charter to carry it.

"Sinclair's position is we don't give away our signal, particularly our digital
signal," company general counsel Barry Faber said. "Sinclair's position is that
they're going to pay us" for the signal.

Charter is fighting that.

"Charter stands ready, able and more than willing to carry Sinclair's HD
signal" for free, Charter spokeswoman Anita Lamont said. "But ... Sinclair has
refused to consent to our carriage of that signal. All the station would have
to do would be to give us a thumbs up, even just for the Super Bowl, and we
would be able to offer it."

However, the Super Bowl is a huge bargaining chip in the dispute, and relenting
for that game by Sinclair is highly unlikely.

"If something happens between now and the Super Bowl between us and Charter, I
would be very surprised," KDNL general manager Tom Tipton said. "I don't see it
happening."

Tipton added that viewers who buy satellite TV also will not get the game in HD
- but that's because no high definition programming by any St. Louis station is
on satellite yet.

The Charter-Sinclair feud is at the corporate, not local, levels.

"The local stations have the responsibility for reaching retransmission
agreements in their respective markets," ABC Sports spokesman Mark Mandel said.
"While we regret that some cable viewers cannot get access ... this is an issue
for KDNL and the cable system to resolve."

Changing policy

KSDK (Channel 5) officials would not discuss their deal with Charter, but
executives at the other local major network affiliate stations said they give
Charter their HD feed for free. However, that could change.

"A lot of people are going in that direction," one executive said.

In fact, Sinclair's Faber said it won't be long before his company begins
charging cable systems for its conventional signal, too.

"It used to be that our position was we don't give away our digital signal," he
said. "Our new position - we just haven't gotten around to enforcing it against
everybody yet - is we don't give away our signal, period.

"Eventually, it'll get to the level of, 'Do you want to carry KDNL, yes or no?'
It costs Charter money (for stations) like Animal Planet. I think more people
want to watch KDNL than Animal Planet."

Cable companies have balked at paying for local stations, using the rationale
that they already are floating through the air, so the cable companies should
be able to retransmit them for free.

"Sounds like a good argument," Faber said. "But the problem is that it is a
free over-the-air signal if you want to receive it free over the air. But if
you prefer to receive it in a more convenient fashion (via cable), you pay for
it. Right now, we don't get any of that money."

"We do care about viewers; we don't make any money if we don't satisfy them,"
he added. "But for us, it's fundamental fairness. One of the reasons people
write (Charter) a check every month is so they can watch KDNL. If you're a
Charter cable subscriber, that's part of what you're paying for."

HDTV, for a price

Tipton said people who own an HD set don't have to be shut out, albeit for a
price.

"If you have an antenna, you can get our signal in high definition on HD
Channel 31," Tipton said.

However, an HD turner is required in addition to the antenna, resulting in an
outlay of up to several hundred dollars in additional equipment for those who
lack the hardware. That's hardly an appealing situation for people already
paying $50 a month or more for Charter.

How does the over-the-air HD signal compare to the one on cable?

"On the antenna it's very good, it's quite good," Tipton said. "To say which
one's better, I don't know. Because we've never had an agreement with Charter,
I've never had an opportunity to look at it."

Topramfan
Unregistered guest
is it possible and where can one buy a Charter HD/Digital Cable box that has a HDMI input rather than settling for component video or S video hook up-or are we relegated to only having the Dish Networks being the only ones with this capability? and at a "Lease" cost of $299>00 a year for the HDTV box....

Username: Gbynum

South Carolina

Nothing in 8 months, where did this thread move? I just bought a Sony 46E2000 set with QAM tuner. On Greenville SC Charter, I get some 15 digital video channels in the clear, but only 6 in "real" HD, 720p or 1080i. Three of these appear to be local affiliates of CBS, NBC, and Fox. Is this typical? There are also 50 some music channels.

Username: Indianbill007

Bhilai, Chattisgarh India

Post Number: 9
Well I got really something good and cool in a single give away package . Online IP TV , that is satellite TV and online radio channels in a single software.

http://www.artvnetworks.com

Online TV Player lets you watch 2500+ free Internet TV and listen 1500+ free online radio stations on your PC. It allows watcher to watch directly into TV without having to experience the annoyances of a Web site (like slow-loading pages and pop-up ads). No additional equipment required, No Monthly Fees, No Extra Costs. Online TV Player support both Windows Media and Real Video. You can play most of stream formats in one program. It can set the screen window to any size that you want. It supports full-screen mode too.

Download yourself and enjoy.!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us