HDMI/DVI question

Bronze Member
Username: Jcn1972

Post Number: 16
I have a Samsung HDTV which has a HDMI plug, and my HD cable box has the DVI plug. I bought a HDMI/DVI cable off of Ebay and when I connected it this afternoon it was all messed up. Would either get no picture or two pictures side by side. I'm guessing it won't work that way? Is there a converter or something I need to get? I bought a second cable for my father and his setup is the opposite. His DirecTV box has HDMI while his TV has the DVI. Guessing it won't work on his either then? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 54
just a thought....
did you run through the setup menu on the cable box to make sure it was sending the right signal to the DVI output ? TV setup to receive signal on HDMI ? Just extra steps you have to go through when switching from analog to digital

Bronze Member
Username: Jcn1972

Post Number: 17
no. I'll have to try that. thanks. I didn't know that needed to be done.

Username: Maxmasters

Post Number: 2
On a similar subject (DVI to HDMI)..I have the same situation as John (DVI Box Output and everything else HDMI). With Charter here, you have to get the HD/DVR Box to get HDMI out (WTH??)..anyway, that's what they told me. HDMI carries the audio whereas DVI does not, correct? If I hook my Box's DVI OUT to one of my components HDMI IN, how does the Audio Pass Over?? A real newbie Question, I know...don't beat me up too bad...GRIN

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 55
DVI and audio - on most of the sets with HDMI input, there is usually a pair of RCA audio (red & white) inputs right next to at least one of the HDMI inputs. This is done for "compatibility" with DVI video feeds. That is if you want to feed only the TV with audio along with the DVI to HDMI video. If you are feeding a 5.1 Receiver with the audio, that would go out be fiber or coax to the digital in on the Receiver.

Username: Bradley

Post Number: 1
Hi, I just bought a brand new Samsung HL-R5078W and I have tried to get my HDMI to work and I continue getting a message "no signal - weak signal." I've tried various items, ie dvd player and HD cable box and neither of them work. Does anyone know what it could be? Also, does anyone know how the Samsung technical support is? I'm wondering because I don't want to have to ship it back to them if it doesn't work. Any suggestions? I've tried two different HDMI cables. Thanks!

Username: Ejm

i've been trying to find a definitive answer for a while now and am only getting more confused. i have an LG HDTV with an HDMI port on my hdtv digital cable box has a DVI port. what is the best connection: i have an HDMI/DVI cable, an optical audio cable, composite cables and coax. also, what are the correct settings for the television? thanks so much!

Username: Delax

eric and all: I have benefited a lot from this forum so now its payback time. I have a Samsung 56 DLP. I had the same problems for nearly three weeks and kept getting the same message (mode not supported) when I hooked up my cable box (Moto DCT 5100) via a DVI to HDMI cable. I was getting all the HD channels crystal clear, but could not get any of the 0-99 lower channels via the HDMI. I had to use the RF to get the lower channels. Comcast changed boxes at least four times and sent their techies over on at least five occasions to troubleshoot, but no luck. Trust me, the first chance I get, I am going to ditch COMCAST - they have no clue what's going on. Frustrated by this and also by the wife who was frustrated looking at the time I was spending on this, I decided to take matters in my own hands. Eureka - two hours of research online on this forum and the Moto website, I was able to fix it and get all my channels (including the lower ones) thru the HDMI - the viewing experience is awesome now. Here's the solution. I went to the Moto website and downloaded the user manual. I then went into the menu settings of the cable box and selected my high def broadcast resolution as 1080i. The next option was a 4:3 override option - basically, telling the box what to do for the 4:3 channels (the lower channels 0-99). In the case of the Moto, if the 4:3 override is set to off, then the lower channels default to 1080i. Since these are not broadcast in 1080i, you get an error message saying "mode not supported". Set the 4:3 override option to either 480i or 480p (the standard def signal) and you should get all your channels (the lower 0-99 and the HD) via the HDMI cable. The 480i also did not work for my TV (Sammy HL-R5667W), but the 480p works beautifully - Hope this helps

Username: Kevlev

New York, NY United States

I have a Mistubishi 52 DLP TV that has the HDMI output on it but I can't get it to work. I had my cable company come in, switch the box, and still no luck. I even went out and "exchanged" the originial HDMI cable for another one and STILL same result. So I guess I have to call Mitsibushi and tell him the reason the HDMI isn't working is because something is wrong with the output on the TV. Even though they told me there is nothing wrong. But that is what it has to be, for I have changed everything else and still the same problem. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us