Bad hd reception

Username: Sfly

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a Toshiba 52hm95 Dlp tv. I also have comcast hd box but my picture quality on HD channels dont look as crisp and clear as it should. When I go to the non hd channels the reception looks worst. So is there any settings that I need to change on my tv or cable box to fix this. Also when I change the channels it always stay on 1080i is bthat what it should be. I am new to this. Could it be something wrong with comcasts cables. Also where can I find the owners manual to this tv. Its currently using componenet cables that comcast supplied could that be a problem. Should I go with dvi cables. Thnaks

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 39
Jose;

I have Comcast HDTV DVR. It is set to 1080i output. Turn off the box and turn it on holding (I think the power button) and the box will go into setup.

Also, Comcast gave me the component cables which I switched. I went to Radio Shack and purchased a DVI to HDMI cable $49.00 bucks.

Wish you luck.

Post Number: 2
I did purchased this tv from BestBuy it was a Floor model they said it was only out in display for two weeks and the only thing wrong with it was that it was out off the box. Should I be concern. Was it a bad move in getting this tv as a floor model?

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 42
Jose;

Do you have other TV's connected to cable? What is their reception quality? Moreover, if you are paying the extra money for Comcast HD, then place a service call with them and have them measure the signal quality.

Also, how far do you live from a TV station(s). I live near Baltimore and have 4 over the air (ota) stations that are HD. For an additional $100 buck, you could get buy the ota receiver and get HD for free. My TV came with the receiver built in. I don't know about yours.

And of course, there is always satelite.

I wish you luck, but don't know how to help you.

But, I will say:

1) who really knows how long the TV was on the floor at Best Buy,

2) I seriously doubt that the problem is with the TV.

Post Number: 3
As I said its a toshiba 52hm95 when I play dvds are they suppose to take up the whole screen because it is a theater wide tv or no? Also I have Batman Begins and I tried playing it and it didnt take up the whole screen. Also the dvd also wasnt the great of a picture it was clear but you could see blocks and artifacts. Is this normal? It is using regular a/v cables for dvd player using playstation2 as dvd player.

Another Question what does it mean to have a red light on at all times when the tv is on I dont have a manual so I dont know.

Another thing I am new at this HD stuff its my first Big screen tv and first HD tv, so what is the pic size it has normal theater wide 1, 2 and 3 and also full what is the diffrence.

Thanks for all the replies.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 106
The aspect ratio of movies is set by the director and cinematographer and has little to do with the size or aspect of your TV. Batman Begins is very wide so you will still have black bars top and bottom even on a 16:9 set.

Using the PS2 as a DVD player with composite (red, white and yellow) cables has a LOT to do with your picture quality being poor. Go get yourself a nice upconvert DVD player or any cheap ($50-$60) progessive scan player and go to component cables (red, blue, green) for your video hookup and set the player to progressive scan and you will see a HUGE improvement.

You should be able to download a manual at the Toshiba website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us