Just got a philips HDTV... what now?

Username: Btowntkd

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I stumbled across a great deal on a Philips 50" Plasma (with the ambilight... cool). I snagged it without a second thought, but now that I have it, I need to figure out what would be the best course from here for HD programming.

Currently, I have Comcast BASIC cable... as far as I can tell, it's just analog (I don't have any cable boxes or anythign like that). I also have comcast Internet and get a decent combo discount, so I don't really want to switch from comcast (plus I've heard good things about their HD programming).

What kind of a boost to my bills can I expect if I get basic HD programming from comcast? Will I have to upgrade to digital cable AND upgrade from there to HD cable? I looked at their website, and it was a little vague on that point.

Also, is there any equipment I should look into? I.e. this cablecard I've heard about? Is it just a way to save space by eliminating the cable box?

Bronze Member
Username: Dicks_ndickweeds

Bonerland, USA Country Music

Post Number: 72
Do all americans have cable card on the brain syndrome? If you asked a canadian not a single one in the country could answer what a cable card is.

Username: Mobility

Post Number: 2
I have the philips 32" LCD, used the cable card from Cablevision, got excellent picture but didn't get all my channels, had to settle for an HD box, if Comcast is better, I would suggest you go with the cable card, the picture was just astonishing

Username: Nfl

Post Number: 8
Brian...subscribe Comcast cable with HD package, then the cable company will provide you a HD box receiver. Use the HDMI cable connect to your TV.

If you don't go with cable tv and you want local channels in HD. You need a roof HD antena (cost about 30-50 bux) to get HD. After you have you antena setup, do a scan in your Phillips TV. When the scan is done, you will see channel in HD in this format, 04-1, 05-1, 07-1, so on.

These are the basic steps for HDTV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us