Samsung DLP side bar curve

Anonymous

Soon after I purchased the Samsung HLP5085W, it developed curvature of the side bars during display of 4:3 programming. The Samsung technician could not pinpoint the cause and the replacement set is now exhibiting the same distortion - is anyone else having this problem?

Username: Samsungtech

Post Number: 5
unfortunately that is a con that you have to live with if you own a DLP set. The "pincushion" effect that you are seeing is a distortion caused by the very small curvature of the projection screen. The screen is mounted on a metal track and there is a little play between the track and the screen itself allowing for the screen to curve. You could solve the issue but you would VOID the warranty if you break the Tv in the process. I would NOT suggest you do this but if you were to tighten the screen against the metal track where is mounted you would eliminate much of the pincushion effect.

DK
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much Shelley. After a replacement set and the Samsung technician changing the TV "engine," I was unsure as to the next step.

Am I correct in assuming that a change to the sealed single screen (which I need to do secondary to the previously-described "smudges") would not affect the side bar display?

Also, I have read in several sources about obtaining a "calibration" after purchasing a DLP set - is this a recommended first step for all?

Bronze Member
Username: Samsungtech

Post Number: 12
Changing the screen will not affect the picture. Just that the new screen will not collect moisture in between the 2 sheets and develop smudges. I would not recommend that you do any after market calibration to the set.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us