NAD T753 Display problem update

Bronze Member
Username: Bien

Post Number: 18
Hey everyone,

For those of you who remember, I had upgraded my T743 to a T753 in May, only to discover that the display would go blank after a short period of use, and both the remote and the buttons on the unit stopped working.
When I originally spoke with NAD, they told me that it was an unusual problem, before finally telling me that a "fix" would be available in a few weeks. (I guess it was not such an unusual problem if they were working on a fix!)
After having waited for the "fix", I contacted NAD again and this time, I spoke with a technican who also spoke with my dealer regarding the problem. (At this point, I had gone through three T753 units with the same problem.)
BTW, we knew it couldn't be an overheating problem because I keep it in a well ventillated open rack.
The tech thought that it may be a contact to the display which may be dirty or bad which caused the problem.
Since NAD said they didn't have a new T753 available to test and send to me, NAD decided to have my dealer provide me with a new T763.
I guess NAD's solution to solving a problem with a unit is to provide an upgrade to the customer!
So I am the owner of a new T763.
Although I haven't had a chance to really listen to the T763, I think it definitely sound a little warmer than the T753.
So far, so good, and I am sure the dealer will be happy not to see me returning another unit with the same problem.

Ben

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 407
But how about a T773? :-)

It's really strange how these different problems continue to exist with new NADs.

Username: Pyrrol

Post Number: 1
bien kim: how about the t763? any similar problems?

got my t753 back today and the dealer said something about a software-update july.04 - but the firmware is still v1.27!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
So far, so good.

I have not encountered any problems with the T763 yet but I haven't had the time to really put it through its paces yet. I have read somewhere that there will be a 2.0 software update available on the NAD website for those with T763/T773/T163, but I read that the new update will get rid of the HDCD playback of CDs and that they need to change a chip on the unit itself in order to get PLIIx.
I also read that NAD receivers being shipped now have the PLIIx and the 2.0 software installed, and for those with the T753 and the T743, a 2.0 software update will be available around the end of Jan.
The update on the T753/743 will require a chip change.

Tom, what problems did you have with your T753? If you continue to have issues, I would suggest you keep communicating with NAD and you dealer until you get a unit which functions correctly.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 491
bien kim,

have you tried headphones with your T763? any hiss/humm?

Post Number: 2
My T753 display went blank sometimes and then there was no response to the remote or the buttons on the front-panel. The manual describes this as miccroprocessor or heat problem. O.K. the days encountered the problem were quite warm (32°C) - but the unit was running with about -25 dB and didn't seem to be more than hand-warm (if this cannot be handled I'll chose another brand anyway). Moreover it always happend during some operation, i.e. changing the volumen with the remotecontrol. So I think it's has to be a processor or a combined issue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Landroval,

No, I have not tried the headphones, so I do not know if there is any hiss/hum with headphones, but I did have a very light hiss on the T753 which could be heard with no sources playing.
With the T763, the first thing I noticed was that there was no hiss coming from the speakers, but I did have to move my sub cable around a little due to a hum coming from the sub after I initally plugged in the sub.

Tom,
The problem you are describing is the exact same problem I had except that it would happen without me doing anything. I don't think it can be a heat problem because on one occassion, it happened during the on screen setup proccess and I keep the receiver on a open rack so it is ventillated well.
I went through 3 T753 units and numerous contacts to both NAD along with the dealer before the dealer agreed to provide me with the T763.
BTW, the tech at NAD told me the problem was that the contacts were dirty, so they needed to remove the boards then clean the contacts. They told me that this would solve the problem, but they also told me that my problem was rare and the first time they encountered this complaint.
Well, I guess it is fairly common in that I encountered the same problem 3 times with 3 different units. So take what they say with a grain of salt.

Also, if you are interested, I believe you can find my email communications with NAD in the archives here somewhere.

Play the unit for several hours to make sure that the problem is truly solved because we have paid our hard earned money for this product and it should work properly. If you do choose to go with another brand, make sure your dealer gives you a decent upgrade for your troubles.
Afterall, in addition to the annoyance of having to connect and disconnect the unt, the NAD receivers are quite heavy to be lugging back and forth to the dealer.

Post Number: 3
Bien Kim,
I read the thread concerning your conntact to NAD. Actually I took a copy of it to my dealer when I returned the unit. He just said, he would not need this - without reading it completely - and had never heard of similar problems. Well, to me he was not very convincing ;-)
I'd really prefer some more honest communication for the trust I showed them paying my "hard earned money".

My rack is open, too - ventillation should be no problem. So if it's kind of a heat problem it's not acceptable, but I noticed the problems after runining the unit for a few hours.
BTW as you mentioned, I don't like the way to enter the on screen setup with the remote. I use the HRT2 for the DVD player, too - if you forget to select the proper device button you've opened the setup menu. Maybe I move this functions to some other device.

But apart from that: I love it, if it's running - the sound is great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Yeah,
Some dealers definitely show more interest before they get the money than afterwards when customer service is really required. I guess some of these dealers don't believe in repeat customers or word of mouth.
If I didn't like the NAD sound so much, I would never have put up with so much trouble.
I also want to upgrade my CD player as well as my DVD player, and although I like the CD players from NAD, I don't think I want to deal with NAD again.

Good luck with your receiver and don't forget, there is a implied warantee of mercantability on all products unless disclosed otherwise. Have your dealer get you a unit which works right, or give you a upgrade to a better unit. If he can't do either, get you money back and go with Marantz, Denon or even better to a Rotel.

Username: Daveelson

Post Number: 1
Interesting to see a display problem with a NAD.
I had a NAD back in the UK in the late 80's and the display went on that.
I'm out in Seattle now and looks like I have to return my NAD T753 for the second time.
No sound out of the front lrft speaker.
I'm about to post re this, having just joined here after a search on faulty NAD on Google !!

Unregistered guest
I am in Houston, and I have a NAD t-753. I had to return two of them before I got one that worked. It was the display and freeze up. Audio Concepts was great to work with. They took care of me before and after the sale. I really enjoy my new NAD t-753 and t-533.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us