Philips MCM276R/37 reads disk but refuses to play

Username: 1259412

Falls Church, VA United States

Post Number: 1
Basically what the title says. We have a somewhat old MCM276R/37; whenever we try to play a disk, it will spin and read it fine, but then as soon as it is done reading the disk, it stops spinning. The Play button won't work, and it recognizes which track the CD was on, and how far through the CD is. I have so far been able to find nothing on this matter elsewhere, I hope you guys will be able to help.

Thank you in advance.

Username: Michael_duet

Post Number: 1
Step 1

Press the "Open Tray" button on the front of the Philips DVD player. Look to make sure the disc is correctly placed on the

disc tray. If the disc is off center the DVD player cannot read the content and will produce the "No Disc Error."

Step 2

Check the disc to make sure the data side of the disc is facing down (the label facing up). If the disc is inserted upside

down the Philips DVD player states the error message.

Step 3

Remove the disc from the DVD player. Some Philips DVD players do not read self created DVDs (this varies from what

model and model year you are using). Insert a standard movie DVD purchased from the store and insert it into the disc

tray. The movie loads without any issue.

Step 4

Clean off the bottom of the DVD with a damp cloth to remove any dirt, debris or fingerprints from the disc. If the Philips

DVD player is unable to read the disc it displays the "No Disc Error" message. Allow the DVD to dry before inserting it

back into the disc tray.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18421

" ... whenever we try to play a disk, it will spin and read it fine, but then as soon as it is done reading the disk, it stops spinning. The Play button won't work, and it recognizes which track the CD was on, and how far through the CD is."

You've confused me with those sentences. The play button doesn't work? Then how did the disc get to a point in a track where it stopped?

I assume the play button does nothing when you use either the front panel button or the remote.

I have to say my first suggestion is exactly what you've concluded, "We have a somewhat old MCM276R/37". As I search for information on this unit it would appear it is a "micro hifi system" which immediately asks the question, how do you build a low cost component system? The answer, of course, is you use low cost parts.

While I understand the cost of this unit isn't low for many buyers, in the scheme of electronics, it is on the lower rungs of total cost for the various components included. Add to that the simple fact manufacturers will put their money into items the customer can see and skimp on those they can't. At best, until you get into the $$$$ market for a DVD player, the transport mechanism used is (mostly) rather inexpensive plastic not designed for long term use. As these units age, they simply stop working or, at best, working reliably.

Does the unit work at all? Will it play some discs and not others? Or, is it simply dead?

If the problem is intermittent, then cleaning the disc and not using recordable discs might help. If the player is consistently fubar'd, then you can decide how much value it has vs buying new.

Labor rates for DVD repair average $60-75 per hour. Assuming the unit can be repaired, the cost to fix this component will be in the $$$ range. Parts may not be available for "older" components and, with micro-components, taking them apart is one thing while getting them back together is another. I've known excellent, experienced techs who struggle with these units due to their disposable design. You will pay labor rates for the tech to fight this thing back together.

That's the bottom line, electronics in this price range are considered disposable by the manufacturer. You will likely be told by any shop you are better off buying new with a warranty. Which is essentially true, you will repair a unit which has no reliability in it.

Fix it today and it may break again in short time. Rather soon it becomes apparent it is not worth sinking more cash into a unit that cost less than the last repair.

If you wish to have the unit repaired, ask for an estimate of cost. You'll pay up front for about an hour's worth of labor which will be applied to any further repairs. If you decide not to proceed with the repair, the shop keeps the fee to pay for its time. Or put your estimate fee money into a new player.

IMO the unit is dust. It's not worth the time, effort and money to fix. Unfortunately, buying an all in one component means you have to toss out everything in most cases.

Buying separate pieces is more expensive and doesn't really guarantee greater reliability in some cases. "Disposable", or more correctly "replaceable", is the watch word of the industry at this point. AV receivers and DVD/BluRay players at modest prices still have a limited life span before they too become disposable. That's the market as it exists today.

At the best, buying individual pieces rather than an all in one means you can usually replace one piece and not toss out the rest.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18422

Should you decide to replace this unit, please recycle the old rather than sending it to the landfill.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us