Miniwatt N3 powers on but nothing happens!

Username: Vkengeri

Post Number: 1
I had been successfully using my Miniwatt N3 for a couple of year and all of a sudden, it went quite. The power supply turns on, the fuse is fine but the tubes don't light up or do any thing. Any one have a clue what may be wrong? Thanks.

- Vasu

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17906

IMO the best advice is to contact the retailer/distributor. The Miniwatt has a somewhat unusual circuit that has been altered over the years. If the tubes do not light up, however, it's unlikely the power supply is fully operational. But you have no schematic to follow and even if you had the test equipment, you would be hard pressed to do troubleshooting.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3132
Jan, is it possible the HEATERS are in series and one broken heater wire in a tube results in 'lights out'?

That NO tubes 'light up' tells me to look at the heater circuit.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17907

There could be a problem there, leo. I have no idea how the Miniwatt is configured since the pentodes are wired as triodes and the Miniwatt has had several variations in design.

As usual, my advice remains consistent with such posts; do not stick your hands in an amplifier you do not understand. If you don't have the tools to troubleshoot the amp, you probably don't have the tools to repair the amp yourself. Futzing with a tube amp when you don't understand the principles of a tune amp can prove dangerous for all involved. The problem likely exists in the power supply but a qualified tech should make that diagnosis IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3133
I looked this up and YES, several versions of the amp are out there.
Also, some guy posted the results of his disassembly attempt. He only got so far than backed off.

I think he said something about the PS being a switcher.

For me? Were I interested in a flea powered tube amp, I'd go for one of the KITS out there and have some fun while honing my soldering skills�.getting them back up to snuff.

But how far am I getting with 3.5 watts and my Panels? I doubt that's enough juice to even turn 'em into usable headphones�.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us