Yamaha CDX500 stopped playing discs

Username: Willems

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am new to the forum and hope to find help for the problem with this CD player. The Yamaha is rather old (20 yrs?), always worked excellent but now after a long playing session stopped playing; even after cooling down, it reads the index but then ... nothing. I guess it is too old to have it repaired, but maybe one of you has a brilliant simple solution. Thanks on beforehand.
Regards, Willem

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17854

Sorry, the only brilliant solution is to buy a new player or switch to a computer based digital playback system. Things break - particularly after twenty years - and, in this case, Yamaha no longer supports the mechanisms which are likely at issue. Shops have long ago thrown out their manuals for the player since they probably haven't seen one in many a year. In fact, no one produces the CD transport used in the Yamaha and no one has for well over a decade.

Technology has moved forward and a low cost - not "cheap" - player today far exceeds the performance of the Yamaha. NAD or Cambridge Audio both offer moderately priced players which, when you consider inflation, cost far less than what you paid for the Yamaha. You should be very happy with the improved sonics from either company's products.

Using your computer as a source player, a AudioQuest Dragonfly will output sound quality of even higher quality than any of today's midpriced CD players; http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac It's now on sale for under $100 on Amazon. Whether you continue to use the drive mechanism in your PC or put your files on a hard drive. computer based audio playback has come a very long way in the last few years.

Username: Willems

Post Number: 2
Many thanks for your advise, Jan.
In case that I looked silly about wanting to repair a 20-year old cd-player, the reason is that the sound is fine for my study; in my living room I have a nice Marantz CD6000 KI signature. I will certainly buy another cd player since I have lots of cd's and only a selection of them on the PC and iPhone. Regards, Willem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us