Problem with Bose Companion 5

Username: Cefey

Post Number: 1
I bought them in US and took them over to Europe.
Since it 220V here, not 110, I used tranformator.
They worked fine for 2 years. But then transformator died.
I got a new one, but it was only 60W one (bose can do max 300).
But I dont play music load, so it worked fine for few months.

Then one day, sound was "coming and going", like it was not enough power/overload on the system and they stopped working.

Control showed orange color.
I tried a different control pod, that didnt work. I tried to connect ipod to them, that didnt work. And neither did headset jack work.

So, I can turn them on, I can "hear" increase in "power/sound" if I rotate control pod, but there is no sound.

Any ideas what it might be and how can I fix it my self?

The only fuse I could find looks fine. Ill post few pictures, maybe it will help.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17430

"Any ideas what it might be and how can I fix it my self? "

No, obviously if you have to ask, you do not have the proper tools and test equipment to do the job. Take the unit to a Bose service center.

Post Number: 2
I live in Norway. So shipping and repair could cost me around 200-300$ here. I first want to see if its anything minor, that I might fix myself.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17431

And you're looking for someone on a forum to tell you specifically which part needs to be replaced and how to set correct values when you have no test equipment? How do you intend to accomplish this?

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2015

Post Number: 3
Thats a good question!
I thought maybe there is few things that I could try to do, that dont cost too much and see if that would help. If not, then of course I will take it to service.

I kind of hoped it was some kind of fuse. The only one I found is this one and it looks ok to me.
http://imageshack. us/photo/my-images/715/20120927173752.jpg/

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17433

I don't mean to be rude but, if you don't know where not to stick your hands in a receiver, you shouldn't be sticking your hands anywhere in a receiver. The label on the back of most audio gear is correct, there are lethal voltages inside the component and they can get you in an awful lot of trouble before you know what's hit you.

Post Number: 4
Ok, thx for your advise Ill find someone who knows what they are doing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help