Tune Up

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2873
Unlike most box speakers, Panels have 4 orientations which are valid. Only the 20.x series, which is push / pull has a pole piece on each side and therefore has only 2 possible orientations.'

When I first installed my panels, I had them as 'recommended' with the tweeter to the outside and pole piece ot the front wall. This is easy since the connection panel is 'back there'.
I was never happy with that setup.
I eventually flipped 'em in place and got the pole piece to the front and the tweeters to the INSIDE of the panel. I think because of the 2nd order lowpass and 1st order highpass, the 90degree difference produced a lobing effect which effected image and balance.

So after running for several months pole piece to the listener / tweeters in, I made the big change while doing a tune up.

All speaker connections redone and deoxite treated. Fuse pulled, ohm'd and deoxit. Panels flipped L/R and tweeters put IN with the pole piece rotated to 'as intended'.

Nice change. Tweeter position is CRITICAL in bilateral symetric panels. Now, the image is dead stable. The next experiment will be to move the panels further apart. They are now at 60" inside edge to inside edge. Very expansive stage and I'd judge there to be better HF dispersion and extension........

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15910
Listening to your system as anew is sure nice. Enjoy, Leo!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2874
Wife took trip with her 2 sisters and I had the house to myself for a couple days.
Late night / turn it up sessions were terrific.

I know panels are not everybody's cup of tea, but as with other speakers, setup makes the big difference.

Tomorrow? I'm going to move the speakers apart some more....Currently at 60" so I'll try further apart without getting closer than 24" to the RH wall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us