Timbre match for Onkyo HT-S6100 Speakers (P163s?)

Bronze Member
Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 19
Hi! So I've narrowed down my choice of speakers to a select few and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out based on knowledge or experience which ones would best fit into the current sound in my 7.1 Onkyo setup with an altered receiver to the Onkyo TX-NR708 and an added subwoofer (the Polk Audio PSW505). I'm planning on replacing the front L&R speakers and using the replaced Onkyo speakers as front wides or highs. In other words, I'm planning on making it into a 9.2 system using Audyssey DSX.

Mainly, I'm interested if the Infinity Primus P163 speakers would work for this case. Otherwise, the options I have in mind are the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE speakers, the PSB Alpha B1 speakers, and the Paradigm Atom v.6 speakers. If any of these are mainly near-field monitors(which I'm not sure about), obviously they can instantly be excluded, so if that's the case, please inform me, lol.

I appreciate any advice/information provided. Thanks in advance!

PS- If anyone can tell me whether the Alphas or the Atoms are better for portable indoor use, powered by the Dayton DTA-100a amp, that would also be appreciated XD. If any other speakers within a similar price range come to mind as better options FOR EITHER CASE, don't hesitate to suggest them. The main intent in both cases I guess would be music. Thanks again!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17272

Have you had the opportunity to audition any of the above mentioned speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 20
No sir, I haven't. If I did, I probably would've figured out which ones work with my other speakers the best. I was hoping someone else might inform me/give me their opinion at least.

I have heard the Infinity Primus speakers though but in a very different room, and both mine and those I heard after calibration. The speakers are also in very different leagues so it's hard for me to relate them in that sense. All I can say is neither are overly bright, have about neutral mids, and are a bit boomy in their bass extension, the P163s obviously being more clear... In any case, this is part of the reason why I mentioned them as my main interest and I was hoping for confirmation that they would maybe work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us