Use for an Old Creek Pre-amp & Amp

Username: Steveles

Post Number: 1
I was "gifted" an old Creek pre-amp and amp by a friend whose partner had passed away and who had long since switched to a home theater set-up. The pre-amp is a Creek Special Edition OBH-8SE MM Phono Pre-amp, and the other is a Creek OBH-2 "Regulated Power Supply" unit (it says an output of 24V, 500mA max). Since I have never used such components, and they were issued in the late 1990s, I was wondering whether it was possible to power a couple of modern bookshelf loudspeakers, or stand-alone monitors, with them? For example, would one be able to power a couple of Polk or other bookshelf speakers with them, or perhaps even a Polk TSi400 tower? What power requirement for a speaker would be in those Creek components' range?

I know this is a novice question, but I'm new to these component systems.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16640

The Creek gear will drive any speaker you're likely to hook up. Call Creek for specifics regarding the components.

I wouldn't suggest you just plug the gear into an outlet and power it up. If the gear has been unused for a few years, the best way to protect the equipment is to slowly raise the input voltage with a Variac while monitoring the equipment for excessive current draw on a test bench. Spending a few dollars for a tech to do this properly now will likely save you big repair bills down the road.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us