Luxman Pd 441 Speed Adjustment

Username: Bart777

Post Number: 1
Hi guys first time poster long time reader.

Hope some one could tell me where the Luxman PD 441 speed adjustment is, here is a image that I took of under the turntable.
any help would be great, thanks Bart.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ULciABIf4UQ/TlSTOfBkYDI/AAAAAAAAAy0/y1mwECfxI Co/IMG_0875.JPG

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16642

Who told you the table had a fine speed adjustment? It's a quartz phase locked system but that doesn't guarantee any fine speed adjustment. Certainly not that would be accessible to the user. And you'd have to remove the bottom plate to do any adjustments.

Are you having a problem with the table not running at a constant speed? Or, at a speed you feel is correct? The former would probably require the services of a qualified technician familiar with the table - or with phase locked tables in general at the very least. The second would likey be the same though you would have to ascertain the actual speed of the platter. Have you done this? If so, how? If you intend to adjust the speed of the platter, how would you know what is the correct rotational speed? The whole idea of phase locked systems was to play at a consistent speed which typically was no more than a few tenths to even hundreths of a percentage point away from the desired speed. Do you have perfect pitch? Is this why you want to adjust the speed?

Post Number: 2
I just read about it on the net..

the history on the table is that it has not been in 10 years and now both the speeds are just a little bit to slow.

I have not turned any of the screws just yet.

Well I would know it was the correct speed because the light would stop flashing and it was stay still.

you seem to know a lot about this then me. my knowledge is not the best on this matter.

thanks for getting back to me with some interesting things to think about.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16646

You can remove the plate and look for anything that appears to be a trim pot - usually a small device with a screw slot in the top (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062300 for example). No guarantee there are such pots on the Luxman. Most often they are located near the edge of the platter.

DO NOT make any adjustments with the table plugged into the AC outlet! Play it safe and only get your hands or any tools in the open chassis of the table when it is unplugged.

Make small adjustements if you find such pots as you can't be sure what you're adjusting. Adjust just one pot first untill you have achieved correct speed and then move to the second pot. Normally - but not always - one pot controls 33 and one pot controls 45. It would be a good idea to mark the original positioning of the screw before you do anything just in case you need to return the pot to its original setting. Often in equipment this old the parts which control the fine speeed adjustment have begun to drift away from their original spec and this is what is causing the problem. If that's the case and adjustment is not possible, a tech needs to work on this to identify the actual component(s) which will require replacement.

Post Number: 3
Hi jan thanks for all your help,

I first get the whole unit a flush with some contact cleaner
but that did not hep the speed.

I then ended up taking of the luxmn center cap under the tt where i found 2 screws for the case.
as you can see here are the 2 pots in the picture.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qu3pkQk_FyI/TlYW2jmxjgI/AAAAAAAAAz8/c98Sf6w5o 4g/IMG_0893.JPG

once again thanks for your help jan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us