Another question for Jan Vigne

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 142
Jan,

Could you please give me your comparitive thoughts on the SQ differences between the CD layer and the 2 channel SA-CD layer played on your Denon 2900 and in summary, which (or if) in your opinion, sounds superior.

My 2900 is causing me to scratch my head at present - I will explain if and when you respond.

Much obliged
M.R.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 144
Bump!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7166

Sorry for the delay, I've had jury duty and visiting relatives to deal with. Yet another family member is due in next Tuesday for a week of "I thought I'd come down and let you entertain and feed me for a while." Let me do some listening this weekend and I'll try to get an answer for you. I have a feeling my answer will come down to "it's in the mix" as my experience so far has been mostly with SACD's that are either only SACD layered (two channel/multi channel) or have been made from very old transfers with little attention paid to remixing the original two channel layer.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 146
Thanks Jan,

I don't know what's worse: jury duty or visiting relatives :-)

Username: Robertiverson

Post Number: 1
I've got two pair of 1976 Quadraflex ST-19 3-way speakers and two of the 12" woofers finally gave out and I would like to refoam or replace the woofers. Any suggestions on either option? I don't want to spend a fortune. SoCal.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9196

Please don't take this wrong, but the ST-19's have had a long life, let them die in peace. The 19 wasn't the best of the Quadraflex line and I think you could do much better for not much money by shopping for something new. If you do want to repair them, I wouldn't try the refoam kits. They work OK for smaller drivers, but a 12" woofer is usually too large to get the cone aligned properly when you attach the new surround foam. You can try the kits if these aren't speakers you value that much. If these are speakers you listen to on a regular basis, I would call one of the DIY companies to find new woofers. Madisound, Parts Express and MTM are the usual supects here. Get their information from a search engine for each name. The ST19 is a sealed box and that will make new woofers less common as acousitc suspension designs aren't as popular today as when you bought the speakers. You'll need to know the outside dimensions of the speaker box to match new drivers to your current enclosures. Depending on where you live, there might be a shop that does speaker repair in your area. Check the Yellow Pages or call a Pro Sound/DJ shop and ask if any exist in the area.

Username: Wayneman01

La Verne, CA USA

I have owned my Quadraflex 979 receiver and pair of ST19 speakers since buying them new in 1976. I bought them because, in '76, this was simply the best sounding home system I had heard anywhere.

About 8 years ago, both the woofer and midrange speakers in my pair of ST19 enclosures rotted out and became unuseable. To fix it, I went to the local RadioShack store and bought two of their best 12" woofers and midrange speakers.

After installing them in the Quadraflex enclosures, I was blown away at the how well they sounded. To this day, they are still the best sounding home stereo speakers I have ever heard.

Upon removal of the old speakers, I was shocked to see that the woofers were of two different types. One of which had a very small magnet compered to the other. I am surprized they sounded as good as they did when they were new.

Username: Ettarleton

This is a Q for Wayne

Hi, I too am a new to the forum. During a search for a Quadraflex 979 manual,I came across you thread.

I'm beginning to see why you like it so much.I'm running thru a set of vintage VIC Venturi's a friend left me and it is a smooth sound across the spectrum.

Since you bought yours new , I was wondering if you have a copy of the manual you might be willing to share. If so, it would be a great help.

Thank you for your time
Eric

Username: Wayneman01

La Verne, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Hey Eric,
Unfortunately, I lost the manual for my Quadraflex 979 receiver many moons - and moves, ago.

I am pleased to know there's someone out there who enjoys listening through his 979 as much as I enjoy doing same with mine.

Best,

Wayne
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us