What's in a Naim!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13546
I've decided to head in the direction of a Naim integrated. Either the Nait 5i-2 or the XS. It'll take me awhile to save for it so I've picked up a refurb C326BEE and let the Sonneteer go. My tech told me that it was very near needing a full recap job...time to move on (due to the design of the amp this was going to be an ongoing problem) and Naim and Harbeth/Spendor get on very nicely. It's going to be a long wait using the NAD but kind of fun as I will be using a power cord on it that cost $250 more than the amp itself. It'll be interesting to see how well it acquits itself in such company as the Harbeths and the Saturn. I'll let you all know how this works out.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 743
Bravo. I like it. So much of the gear discussed I have not heard but I have had the pleasure of listening to Naim. I would really like to hear Bryston.

That would be my choice too for next upgrade if not for tile, doors, carpets, wood flooring, kitchen range, sink, counter top and cabinets, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1121
In transition eh Art. Hope you aren't waiting for the Naim too long.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 844
Wow, I'm surprised you are parting with the Sonneteer! But Naim is pretty special too, eh? I want to give Naim another shot, but it won't be any time soon. I want to try other, more different, things first...plus I want to save up for a while.

Are you concerned how the Naim and Saturn will work together? I mean, I think they have similar philosophies on sound, but does Naim not sound it's best when using the DIN connectors? I gather there is much synergy with an all-Naim front end.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13553
The Sonneteer is the best sounding amp I've ever owned and one of the best I've heard but I had to weigh a few factors which would include the age of the amp and it's viability over the next couple of years and with advice from my tech I decided now was a good time to move on.

Naim is really just one possibility so too is LFD, Hegel and several other brands. Depends on how the NAD sounds, how desperate I'll be. Judging by my wife's I'll be fine for awhile.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 407
What's wrong with getting another Sonneteer? When my receiver's time comes, Denon will be one of the first brands I'll look at after my experience with this one. I'll probably shoot for an integrated or seperates next time though, if I've got the $. We'll see what happens then.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13554
Been there, done that. Resale is also dismal.

Next thing I will get is a new CD player and Blu Ray player for my wife's home office system. Just bought her a 32 inch Sammy at Costco. I've really upgraded her system this year.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 845
Good stuff, Art. I'm looking forward to reading about it. How long do you think it'll be before you have the new amp sitting in your system?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13556
I ordered it yesterday and so they will ship, hopefully, tomorrow. It's coming from Spearit on the east coast so probably week after next.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 846
Sorry Art, I meant the Naim!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13558
The Naim, 2012 perhaps.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3333
Right on Art! I am loving the 5i. The 5i-2's used only a few years old for around 1100. I am thinking mid 2011 for you. lol.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13559
Dunno Nick, will be taking pay cuts mid next year. Will be living more humbly until the economy is back on track. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are right. Then again I'm hoping that the NAD is better than anticipated. My wife's setup isn't as far behind mine as you might think. When music is playing around here I sometimes have to think for a second to remember whose system is playing, mine or hers. Anyone heard a C326BEE with a high end source and loomed with vdH cables? I haven't. I am at least curious.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
I'm praying about your situation Art. Hope it doesn't hit you too hard. I've never heard a Nad, but read good reviews on some. It should do fine till the Naim gets there.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13561
Thanks SJ. It shouldn't be too bad. I work for the State of Oregon as a social worker in the Self Sufficiency branch of DHS. I'm in the poverty business and that's always good business. Unfortunately when the state needs us most is when we usually have the least amount of money to pay for services. My wife and I both work in the same office. We're trying to position ourselves for the worst and if it turns out better than planned then all the better.

I bought my wife the NAD C325BEE 2 or 3 summers ago and just upgraded her cables and speakers with very nice results. These are excellent little amps, however I'm used to the Sonneteer which is world class.

We'll see.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
You're welcome! I have a lot of admiration for people who do what you and your wife do. I think trying to help people get back on their feet with this economy would kill me, unless of course, 80% of clients beat the odds and became self sufficient.

I guess the Nad will be good for the interim, but not as a permenant fixture?

I wish my wife had a little more interest in music and sound quality. Don't get me wrong, I love her just the way she is, but at the same time, her idea of a home theater system is a blu-ray player, digital cable & TV. Notice, no mention of an HT receiver, spkrs, or sub. "As long as I can see it and hear it." She says. Then she wonders why I always want to watch movies on my system. She can't understand why I hate TV speakers, I can't see how she can stand them! I hardly ever watch TV except for Cowboys games, she's genetically coupled to it. I like music and lots of it. Her? Bread, Billy Joel and not much else. Compromises! Ask her the difference in sound quality between a transistor radio and a system costing anywhere from $2000 to $250,000, she could not tell you. Again, I love her dearly, but if only..... Our sons take after her too. As I type this they're watching a Star Wars movie through TV speakers. No way I could watch any part of that saga that way. At least they listen to some music though. They like a lot of different music too. Jazz, Classical, Rock/Metal, Pop, Easy Listening, even some Country.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4158
Everyone's got their thing Jazzy. I'm sure they can't figure out why you care about the sound quality and want to complicate it, as they think it's good enough.

Art,

Interesting decision. There's a lot of factors involved in buying gear like this. This stuff isn't cheap, mass-market stuff that you throw out when something better comes along next year. Naim is a great move due to their USA service center and their second hand value retention. That stuff made me apprehensive about my Yaras, but it's working out great. It's not that AP or Sonnetteer have weak second hand value, it's just that there's very little market for them. I blame their distributors for not getting more press and dealers. I think that has a lot to do with their stuff selling well new, not just used.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
I agree Stu, I just find it rather curious. You would think with all the different types of music my sons listen to and being in their 20s, they'd be a little more into sound quality by now. They're good young men though and that's what counts.

Distribution and marketing are a double edged sword. You might only pay $3000 for a $3000 amp as opposed to paying $10,000 for it (3 for the amp, 7 for the name), but service and resale can be tough.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13564
The distributor for Sonneteer is not really into audio and so that makes it difficult as well. Earlier this year the fella that ran the company (May Audio) passed away making it that much more difficult. Had I paid 3K for the amp I would not let it go, however with the situation I'm in relative to it, it seems prudent to me to let it go and sink any more into it...my tech agrees. It's the best sound I've ever owned but still not "the" sound I'm looking for. I heard that when I listened to the Naim integrateds in Seattle last summer.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 744
Art, we may have listened to Naim at the same place in Seattle. That used CD store next to Hawthorne HiFi had a Naim set up too.
One guy who used to work at Hawthorne started his own store down town, in Belltown http://www.tunehifi.com/NS/index.htm. I bought a 2d Apollo from him, a store demo.

Next time you go to Sea, don't forget the best restaurant by far: http://www.tamarindtreerestaurant.com/index.php?page=press. Not expensive and great at the same time. How do they do that.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13565
Not my kind of food, Kevin, but thanks.

However I can tell you where to get the best onion rings in town..perhaps in the world! LOL!

Hawthorne is where I was. Listened to 4 sets speakers including Naim N-Sats and DeVore Gibbon 3's and each of them sounded great, albeit different, on the business end of a Naim amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4159
Save up a little longer and get the Nait XS, Art. Spend a bit more the first time and it'll save you a few bucks in the long run. Do you really think you won't be itching for an XS after a year or so with a 5i?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13569
My problem with the XS, Stu, is my tendency to obsess. I know myself well enough to know that I'd have to get the external power supply and on and on it goes. I should just get the Nait 5i and CD 5i and call it a day.

One thing at a time, let's see how the NAD sounds.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4160
I know where you're coming from Art. Obsessing over stuff like that is also what kept me from getting a Manley Stingray.

Regardless of what integrated you eventually buy, keep the Saturn IMO. There's different, but I don't think it's gets any better for equal money. The CD5i is a step down IMO. The Saturn is on the same level with the CD5x, so I think it would take the next CDP up the naim ladder to improve it. Can't remember which it is - CDX 2?

Keep the Saturn. You'll be a lot happier with it than the CD5i, and the Nait 5i and Harbeths are more than capable of showing you that. Not to mention the Naim/Rega synergy.

You've got a while to enjoy the NAD anyway. No need to make any decisions now about the source.

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
I agree there Art. I'd rather have something that I'm not inclined to mess with. I tweeked my current system until any further tweeking would void warranties. I upgraded cables, moved the speakers around, etc.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13572
Yep Stu, keeping the Saturn is just prudent IMO.

I understand where you are coming from, SJ.

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
Where there's option, there's temptation.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4470
"Obsessing over stuff like that is also what kept me from getting a Manley Stingray."

That's so true Stu... does it sound better in U/L or triode mode (damn you Manley for giving me options!). Do I need to re-bias the tubes again? Are my 6414's getting too long in the tooth?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4162
What about tube damping rings? Isolation? Are they all glowing equally? Surely something's amiss is they aren't.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4475
Oh crap. I forgot about all that stuff. Now I have to stay home from work and investigate.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13575
Some of the many reasons I will not likely go back to tubes!

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
I like the glow of tubes, that's about all that interests me about them these days. McIntosch just introduced an integrated (compact) system for $7500. It has a faux tube top front center. It looks nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4165
I'm pretty sure it's a real tube. Mac isn't about gimmics.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4477
Do you mean the MXA60? It actually does have a tube pre-amp section. LIke Stu said, McIntosh doesn't just add bells and whistles for looks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
It doesn't look real. It glows a greenish color (maybe that's reflected off the front panel). There's only one tube visible. I'd think 2 for stereo. Maybe the other one is hidden? Quite frankly, if I bought this system, as long as sounds good like Macs always do, I wouldn't care if the tube was real or not provided that replacing it is not a problem.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 849
I'll be getting into tubes for sure. Maybe in a few years. I'm thinking a used Audio Research tube integrated would be real sweet. Maybe Unison Research...I'd prefer to buy U.S. or Europe, rather than Chinese. Just a perceived quality difference...if I'm going to buy a tube amp I want to know I'm getting great quality, so I'd prefer to buy from a long established manufacturer. And all the tinkering with tubes actually seems like it'll be fun.

By the way, the Unison Reseach Unico P only has one tube in the preamp section, so you don't need two tubes for stereo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
You should talk to Jan before buying a tube amp. There a number of factors he can fill you in on including the difficulty of finding speakers that work well with them since most speakers are geared toward solid state amps. Most amps that include tubes today have them in the preamp stage.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4479
It's one 12AX7 in the pre-amp section of the Mac, I believe.

"'I'd prefer to buy U.S. or Europe, rather than Chinese. Just a perceived quality difference."

I agree Dan, and it's not just a perceived quality difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 500
How do have stereo with one tube?

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1130
"Most amps that include tubes today have them in the preamp stage."

There are some hybrid's out there (Blue Circles for instance) with tube pre stages and solid state power plants, but most that I've seen are have both. Most of the tube Chinese units, Jolida, Cary, Manley, Decware, Vista Audio, Vaughn Audio, Unison Research, Mastersound....the list goes on.....all make amps with tubes in both the pre and amplification stages....some with tube rectification.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Okay, that's an interesting approach. I guess the idea is get tube sound without speaker compatibility issues. How hard is it to get new tubes? And, how is the Mac system stereo with only one tube? As I recall the 12AX7 is an amplifier tube. I don't remember it having stereo capability.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4480
The 12AX7 is usually used in the pre stage. Here's a handy link that shows the difference between various pre-amp tubes:

http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html

It's very easy to find new tubes. I buy most of mine from the tube store, but some tubes (like the 6414's in my Stingray) are getting harder to find.

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
That's great David and I know the 12AX7 is usually in the pre stage, but the question remains, how do use only one tube for stereo?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4486
Jan can answer this easily, I'm sure.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13578
Also a quick email to Unison Research might be be a good idea. They take a while to answer but they generally do. I used to own the Unico P and it's very nice amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
Typical amp tube to the best of my recollection, had a fillement, a cathode a screen and a grid. Have I got this right so far? Wouldn't the tube need two each of the cathode, screen and grid to do stereo?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13582
Was talking to a very credible source today who said he heard the C355BEE last year with PSB Synchrony speakers and liked it better than the SuperNait! The SuperNait is definitely not Naims finest effort, but wow. Interesting stuff indeed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
Which one are you getting Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13584
Boy which one do I answer, the NAD or Naim (see earlier in thread..)? The NAD C326BEE on Monday and may get the Nait 5i-2 or XS in the future...may. Heck I might get a Creek Destiny or a LFD or a who knows what. First things first, let's here this budget amp and alleged heavy hitter with tall company and see how it swings (sings)!

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
I'm more intetested in the Naim as you'll probably have it a few yrs.

Username: Haiderkb

Guildford, Surrey UNITED KINGDOM

Post Number: 1
"The Sonneteer is the best sounding amp I've ever owned"
Thanks Art. Which ever Sonneteer amplifier you have will have been designed by me and is unlikely to need changing for another 10 years at least. barring anything untoward happening of course.
Sonneteer amps are sealed, operating without air vents as the heat-sinks are part of the chassis. This means, the biggest culprit in damaging any electronics, dust, does not get in and the life of the unit is per longed. Heat is not a big issue as all the components are designed to operate at much higher temperatures.

On the May Audio point. Despite the unfortunate passing of Nizar Akhrass, May audio is now in the capable hands of his Son Nabil and his daughter Julia. They are good friends of Sonneteer and will continue to support the brand and its customers. At the same time we will continue to pop over to visit our American cousins on a regular basis and provide full support, as much as we can from the UK.
Please feel free to contact us anytime through our website or directly.

Oh Also, if you feel it is needed we can service your current amplifier for you for little more than the cost of shipping. Bare in mind that the earliest you need to service such an item is at 10yrs.
You probably have it as it is just getting to its best. if your tech wants to talk to me about it I am happy to listen to their opinion too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
Haider, I think Art already parted with his Sonneteer.

How does the amp dissipate heat? Aside from parts being able to handle heat and heat sinks, surely there is a way for it escape, right?

Post Number: 2
Hi Superjazzy, Thanks.
Yes, but of course. The heat-sinks are over sized internally and coupled directly to the chassis. The control system on the amp that regulates the current bias insures that the system never over biases and hence the heat is relatively controlled.

Depending which amp we make it's a little bit different, but in principle, the same. They've been going for about 16 years now and generally a very reliable system. I've used similar techniques on product I have designed for more mass market products and the results have been good there too. Sonically though, the Sonneteers are mine and my fellow Sonneteer designer, Remo's babies.

We also like to think that our customers keep them and pass them on to their younger family members as has happened so often with our units.

It's just a shame Art didnt, at least upgrade to another one of our amps since the last one was "the best amp" he'd "ever heard" I feel he may have been a little ill advised by his tech as there is no way the amp was too old. That is unless, of course, it has had some rough treatment. Mind you he doesn't sound like the kind of chap that would do that.

Haider

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
You're welcome Haider and thank you for the explanation!

I'm as surprised as you that he got rid of it. No, he doesn't seem likd the sort of chap who'd abuse an amp. For that matter, neither am I, but some things I have do get accidentally banged around some times despite my attempts at prevention.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13588
I sent you an email Haider and perhaps you will further understand my situation.

Post Number: 3
Oh yes indeed. I am as clumsy as the next person. The harder I try not to scratch something the more likely it is I do. My eye sight is getting fuzzier so I see them a lot less. Thankfully most of the damage is to my guitars rather than my hi-fi. Or are the scratches just bigger on my guitars that i still see them? I forget.

If anyone here gets to CES 2011 we will be there next in the US by the way. We are very much still fans of you guys over the pond.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13589
The amp has been babied by me and Sonneteer has been wonderful to correspond with. I hope that my email to Haider will further clarify this situation. I can never know who is right my tech who tends to be overly cautious or Haider. My preference would be to keep the Sonneteer but it puts me in a difficult situation as I explained in my email. The only way to know what this amp has been through and whether it is as it started out would be if Sonneteer looked at it. If I could figure out another way, I would.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15598
Thanks for visiting this little thread Haider, you attention is much appreciated.
Art is no likelier to have a slipup than any of us, and if that is the case, then out of sorts.
If Art's old amp was in wont of repair, and had he not seen your input earlier, then perhaps he would still be in ownership of the unit, I am not sure.

You input is greatly valued and appreciated here on the forum!

This from a Mac guy...

Post Number: 4
My pleasure. Seems liek a nice place to pop in a read. I will put a mention or two on our site to encourage the faithful your way.
We will certainly do everything we can to help.

Happy also to share knowledge and learn new things.

Haider

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13590
I still have it in my possession guys. Reply to your email sent, Haider, and thank you for your generous communication.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
Stop by any time Haider! Input from someone that designs amps is always welcome.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13591
Well fellas, looks as though my baby (the Alabaster) will be heading home to the UK for a "well child" checkup and then return home. The NAD will be used as a stop gap while the Sonneteer is gone. There won't be any Naim....never mind...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4168
Its great to see a manufacturer/designer come here and be very civil and professional. Thanks, Haider!

A bit of advice from a guy who loves music and stereos, if I may...

Your product is not very visable here at all. I've never seen any reviews in the popular magazines - American and UK, and I've never seen your gear in a showroom. I live right outside of NYC, so it'snot like I live in an audio desert by any means.

Art really enjoys his Alabaster. I think his and my preferences are pretty similar. If I had access to your stuff, I'd make it a priority to hear it. Won't be for a few years though, as my life situation has changed. Definitely for the better though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4169
Art -

Glad to hear it's going to work out. Not much sense in changing what you feel the is best amp you've owned. Best of luck to you with the shipping/customs/etc. I'm sure it'll work out. These guys seem like they'll make it a painless transaction.

I can see how someone would prefer an NAD and PSBs over the SuperNait. Not even close IMO. The SuperNait is a fabulous integrated. It's not Naim's finest effort, but neither is anything else under the 500 series. I haven't heard it side by side with the XS,so no realistic comparison from me. Its a bit different than the rst of the integrateds, so I think a direct comparison and price point comparison isn't the fairest thing.

Just sayin' I wouldn't kick a SuperNait out of bed!

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
Good for you Art!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13598
No, good on Haider and Remo. They really are a fabulous company and those two are top notch.

As Stu so aptly put it, these products deserve a higher profile. They are too good not to share.

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Your opinion of them is why we were all so surprised that you were going to part with it. Obviously, there is something personal going on there, so I won't ask, but I'm glad you spoke to Haider before going ahead with it.

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1132
Glad it worked out Art. If you've found a sound you love, it's great you can stay with it. I feel the same about my amp. I'm in for the long haul, and whenever it needs some TLC I'll just sent it off to Vinnie.

Haider, kudos for looking after your Customers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
Yes Chris, absolutely right! Kudos Haider!

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1199
Hey Art,

It's been awhile since we've heard anything. Is the Soneteer back? Is it on life support? Will it pull through? What gives? Update and tell us if it's now the best amp you've ever heard plus some after it's check-up, tweaks and return?

Thanks, Dave

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13986
It never left. My tech here in the Willamette Valley got a hold of a schematic and has a better understanding of the amp now. He also admitted to being too cautious. The amp appears to be working perfectly. I'm still working out some details with Haider, have an email in to him now. If all works out my tech here will service the Sonneteer when and if it needs it. It will still get a thorough once over, once I get everything worked out. I have sent the serial number to Haider to get more detailed information and to make sure that if there were mods subsequent to the schematic my guy has we are aware of them. My dream is to get into an Orton someday. Please post about the Sonneteer on the Sonneteer Alabaster thread...I'll post this there as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us