Is LFE subwoofer jack only for watching movies?

Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 8
Is it true that when you hook your sub up to the sinle pin LFE jack it only recives a signal when you are listening/watching movies. How do I hook it up so I hear it while listening to music?

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15245

"LFE" output is related to the use of any signal processing format which includes the low frequency output as a discrete channel. Many - if not most - of the more recent Dolby and DTS procesing formats output discrete information to the subwoofer. Your source player can also play a function in adding the subwoofer as a discrete (LFE) channel when playing music. If the player has 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs or a digital out which takes its information from discrete channels of information contained on the disc, then the processor should see those channels (when they exist on the disc) and direct them to the appropriate channels including the LFE. If your system lacks any music procesing formats or you are using a two channel only CD player, then the subwoofer will typically not be fed any LFE signal. There are a few new integrated amplifiers which feature "LFE" outputs but the name is somewhat a misnomer as "LFE" is conventionally linked to some sort of matrixed or discrete multi-channel output from the source. In this case your owner's manual should provide instructions on how to set up and utilize the subwoofer outputs for music.

Post Number: 9
Thanks again Jan.
Here is my AV receiver:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/95/21019ien.pdf

Here is my sub:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/ksw-10-overview/

It sounds like I need to hook the sub up to the front 2 speaker jacks as per the wiring diagram. I dont think this AV receiver will send a LFE signal to the sub while listsening to music any other way, I could be wrong.
Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15414
diggy, the LFE is an rca conection from receiver to sub.
If you lack either end, then you use speraker level inputs to the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Nuck.
I know an LFE is a single pin connection. With some receivers using that conection method only sound will come out of the sub while watching say a movie or something encoded with 5.1. I was trying to figure out how to get the sub to play when I am listening to music. I think if I conect the sub to the front speaker coneections on the back of the AV it will do the trick. ( Don't use the single pin connection at all )
Thanks for replying Nuck.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4280
Have you tried it with the RCA connection to your sub diggy? It really should work, even in stereo mode. Both of my AVR's power up the sub when listening in stereo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I will try again.
Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4283
Should just work. One thing to keep in mind is that some subs have low sensitivity in regards to their "auto-on" feature. My Velodyne VX10 is like that. I had to increase the LFE signal on the receiver in order for the sub to wake up when music started.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us