Pro-ject debut iii lost a channel after installing new cartridge

Bronze Member
Username: Dolarsbin

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 40
Hey guys,
Been working trying to figure out the issue with my Pro-ject debut iii since yesterday evening, and I may have narrowed it down a bit, but I still haven't figured it out. Hoping to get a little insight from you guys.
So I had a beautifully working and sounding Pro-ject debut iii with a audio-technica at95e correctly mounted, for about 8 months, and one evening the needle went and broke clean in half. Dang it anyway, time to order a new stylus. In the meantime I mounted an Empire 5000 mkiii cartridge on the pro-ject to get me by. And it sounded like crap, so I listened to maybe one side of one album with the empire cartridge and waited patiently for the at95e replacement, which arrived yesterday afternoon. And I was maybe a little overexcited at the prospect of having the at95e whole again, but I calmed myself and went about mounting. Turns out, when I had mounted the Empire I had flip-flopped the left and right "return" tonearm wires (green+blue to blue+green). But I laughed it off and finished the at95e mount. Only to find after mounting, no right channel, only left. So off I go to problem solve. Swapped the "return" green+blue leads to find I lose the left channel instead of the right. Not good, I was thinking I may have pulled one of the tonearm wires away from the cartridge pin sleeve. Or maybe an RCA issue. So next step was to move the pro-ject to the bedroom system and my Hitachi ht-2 turntable into the livingroom. All I had to do is plug the ht-2 into my Denon receiver in the livingroom and voila both channels work. Which is good and bad.
My question is, could I have shorted a tonearm lead with the green and blue wires on the wrong pins, or with my fingers even? Also, I am thinking less and less that I pulled a wire too hard, but not dismissing the prospect.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dorian
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us