Upgrade system

Username: Silvester

Post Number: 1
Newbie here. I'm Silvester. Need some help here from you guys. Now I own an HK AVR355, 5.1 speakers HKTS-11, a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and a player OPPO BDP-83. For home theater purpose (film), I've satisfied with this system, but for music listening, I don't feel comfortable. I think I need an integrated amplifier. I need some advices, whether this ampli will improve my music listening. If this true, can you suggest a good integrated ampli for $1000-1500? I like instrumentalia (pop), jazz, bossa-nova, something like that, room size about 4m x 4 m and not too loud volume. Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2394
Welcome to eCoustics Silvester.

Is the room for listening to music the same room you have the HT in?

Are you going to use the integrated amp to drive the front speakers for the HT or will the 9.1s be dedicated to music?

Are you even considering the 9.1s for music?

What will you be using as a source for the music, CD player, PC, turntable, or the Oppo?

These are just some early questions for helping us to get started in responding to your request for assistance. Others will follow with more questions as we move forward, such as new or used, etc. etc.

Post Number: 2
In the same room, in the same place. I'll separate the speakers. The HKTS-11 I to the AVR and the Wharfedale to the integrated ampli. I'll connect the OPPO to the AVR (using HDMI) in case I'm watching DVD/BR film, and I'll connect the OPPO to the ampli (stereo output) for music listening only. Will this works?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2396
Yes it will. I do not have an Oppo but I would think that if you set up the Surround mode to play through the HDMI output and the Stereo mode to play through the analog output you should be fine.

Now you need to go audition some equipment. Do you have any higher end audio dealers near you and do you know what they carry?

Post Number: 3
I've looking around, and specially interested in several integrated ampli: the krell s300i , musical fidelity M6i, roksan caspian M1, the Marantz PM8003, arcam FMJ A38. Except for the Marantz, the others cost more than $1500. So, what bothers me is whether this adding of the ampli will give significant improvement? Is wharfedale strong enough to match the ampli? Thanks.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2397
Silvester, you could also be better off with a dedicated CD player in order to achieve the musical improvements you desire.

Have you considered using a CD player into your AVR and using the AVR as a preamp only for music? You could set the AVR to stereo and use the left / right line out to a separate amplifier and connect the new amplifier to your Wharfdales.

Later you can add a separate dedicated pre-amp to the mix and use it to upgrade from the HK.

IMO you will get a more musical reproduction by investing in a CD player than an integrated or a separate pre-amp at this stage.

Have you considered buying used, perhaps on Audiogon?

Post Number: 4
Hello all, thanks for all your input. Several days ago, I've bought a used ampli and speakers from a friend who is going abroad. He just only used it for 3 months. The ampli is Musical Fidelity M6i and the speaker is KEF Reference 201/2, and what was good, is the price is only 30% of the original price. They sound is great to me. But, I'm still considering to buy a separate CD player as Michael suggested. OK guys, thanks.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2403
Silvester,

Let's just say you did absolutely great with your 30% purchase. Next is to play your M6i through your Wharfdales then through your Kefs.

Decide which speaker you prefer after a couple of months of listening to each. Then take the speakers you like less and either sell them outright and use the funds to pay for an Apollo or otherwise likeable (to you) CD player, even if it means adding more cash, or trade them straight up or with additional funds one way or the other for a CD play that excites you.

You found a good deal, now is the time to make it work for your advantage to get a second good deal. Just be patient.

FWIW do you like the sound the gear you just bought produces?

What is your point of reference?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 715
Arent' those KEF speakers like 10x the price of the 9.1? Those are $5,000 monitors! You might actually end up preferring the 9.1, but it's not likely. Give the KEF every chance to win you over, because those are top of the line speakers! I'm not sure about the MF amp, but it's likely an excellent amp too. Seems like you've really stepped up in class.

I agree with Michael, now a great CD player can make all the difference, since what you are using right now is definitely the weak link in your chain. It's not quite as intuitive as we are all told that CD players sound the same, but I've experienced it first hand. I definitely think a dedicated CD player would be better for music than the Oppo. Good as that unit might be, in my system two dedicated CD players beat the pants off of a BR player that is similar in spec to the Oppo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us