Oppo DV-980H with Cambridge Audio DACMagic

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 206
Anyone hear this setup? In the coming weeks im going to purchase a DacMagic from Audio advisor. I have a Cambrdige Audio 640a so im very fond of their products. For Speakers i have Monitor Audio RS1's.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3548
No experience personally with the DAC Magic, but by all accounts I think you will have a good system there.

I had a Cambridge Audio system paired with MA RS6's for awhile and it sounded pretty darned good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
I almost wanted to go with rs6 instead of rs1, but my room was small. Right now the weakness in my system is my cd player or source. So I'm thinking the dacmagic would help.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14425

"Right now the weakness in my system is my cd player or source. So I'm thinking the dacmagic would help."

That depends, help in what way? What is your current source player? What are you hoping to get from the DAC?

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
My current source player is Oppo DV-980H . Im wanting to get a more relaxed/detailed sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14429

And why did you choose the DacMagic?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3549
"I have a Cambrdige Audio 640a so im very fond of their products."

That may be why.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
well that and it's affordable my next choice wouldve been ps audio dac. But I hope to get improvent from my setup.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3553
There's a few guys on here who have had experience with the DacMagic, with good results. I've been interested in it myself, since I've owned, and still own, some CA gear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Ya i plan on running Oppo DV-980H, PS3 so i can watch my blu-ray movies and computer...

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
I ordered the dacmagic today so I should receive it sometime this week.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3624
You get it yet Abe?

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
oh yeah, my oppo sounds more lifelike now, my music is much more relaxed more instrument separation. I've had it soo far less than a week. I have an audioquest optical cable, now I'm playing jps optical cable.I'm still burning it in. But overall I love the dacmagic. My system has gotten less fatiguing, I tried it today around 12 o clock.. It still keeps the realism. I also tried it with my ps3 with a blu-ray movie and it brings out some serious quality... Overall I'd recommend the dacmagic for a budget audiophile.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3633
Good to hear! So fear I haven't heard of anyone being disappointed with this unit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Yeah the sound is such a big improvement. DVd players tend to be kind of cloudy and fatiguing. Now i notice subtle details in my music and more texture. Playing dave matthews band - Everyday album i could notice a huge difference in sound, on my system before the dacmagic this album was kind of loud ( not the clipping loud but pretty loud ) when i played it after the dacmagic the music relaxed, and i heard the album the way its supposed to sound.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 307
Yes- the DacMagic is an amazing DAC for the $- No doubt.
Awhile back, I purchased the digital oval cable from Analysis Plus cables- I had read a review in Stereophile last winter and Sam Tellig raved about it. The DacMagic used in conjunction with this cable is astounding IMHO. They run $190 for 1m length and worth every penny.
Having owned a Rega Apollo cdp for some time, I actually ran the Digital Oval cable from the player through the DacMagic and was very surprised with the upgrade in sound. I loved the sound so much, I sold the Apollo and am now running everything through my laptop ripped at lossless quality. Sounds incredible.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 277
Yes, I second that emotion; the DacMagic is very good, IMO.
One thing I've got to do is spin my credit card and buy the Bryston for a head to head review v. the CA. Why not see what the cost differential returns?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3043
lol thats Awesome Jaw. I too have both the DacMagic and Bryston in my house at the moment.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 278
Yep, won't know if I'm missing anything until I get my hands on a Bryston.

Bronze Member
Username: Dwp

LeicesterEngland

Post Number: 19
I can also confirm the Cambridge DAC is a superb piece of kit. I originally had the DAC2 which was excellent, just recently replace it with the isomagic which is ideal for Blu-Ray.
[url=http://www.thehifisite.com]The HIFI site[/url]

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1300
I am using my CA 840c as a DAC from my small dish receiver to great effect and have started testing using optical from my OPPO 981.

So far......terrific results from the small dish and still testing the OPPO.
I need to do a few movies and than the ultimate test. Compare the OPPO playing a CD to the CA playing the same songs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us