Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer enclosure

Username: Roberto_cruz

Post Number: 3
I need help deciding what enclosure to build; from a Ported Bass-Reflex design or a T-Line Enclosure. I want to obtain clean nice bass from my tang bang subwoofer while listening to my music at home.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15007

Ported is small, TL is large. How much does port noise and group delay bother you?

Post Number: 4
It doesn't really bother me, as long as i have a deep strong bass.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15009

Sure, Roberto, we all want "deep, strong, tight bass" and clear mids with sparkling highs. Not to offend you but that's like saying, "I don't care what sort of car I drive as long as it's the best looking and fastest thing out there that attracts the hot babes like fly paper." It's a really, really dumb statement that I hear all the time from newbies who don't actually know what they're talking about. Someone who's been around consumer audio for a few decades wouldn't even go near such a thing unless they had a $2-5k to sink into a single subwoofer - and even then they'd want at least two of them and the room treatments to provide it which would be another $5k. Consider that and try your answer again.

"Strong" bass and "deep" bass can be nothing more than a lump around 80-110Hz that provides the impression of deeper and more plentiful bass response than the system can actually produce. That trick has been around audio for ages and a lot of speakers have been sold on nothing more than the promise of "deep, strong, tight bass" - you know, something that really "hits". I bet you're coming at this from years in car stereo, right?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15176
A 6 1/2 inch driver might, MIGHT qualify as a bass enhancement, but not a sub. Hopefully somebody will link a 6 1/2" correction to that statement.
One small driver in a T line will happily deliver 32Hz. I believe that Jan's little sealed Partsexpress unit does that figure as well, in a very carefully thought out smaller space.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15010

The driver in my DIY sub is the old Adire Extremis 6.8 so not much larger in overall diameter than the TangBang driver. The Adire, however, works with the XBL motor to provide more excursion than a conventional driver. Adire claimed a very useable -3dB at 27Hz in room when the driver was palced in a 1 cubic foot ported enclosure. Adding a second driver and doubling the enclosure volume took the -3dB point to approx. 22Hz in room. Without the XBL motor I doubt a TangBang can manage that sort of extension. A TL with the Extremis still required about 3-4 times that enclosure volume and sacrificed a few Hz in extension though it gained a more gradual roll out.

Post Number: 5
yea, i don't know much about home sound, speakers, enclosure and all does things. Thats why i'm here seeking for someone to help me with this new project i have in mind.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15091
Ive had these subs before and as a matter of fact i have 4 of them brand new in the box as we speak but as far as box choice I believe they sound best in a ported box over sealed....these subs do get pretty loud for what they are....I did 104 db in my apartment on 65 watts rms total for two of the tangband 6.5's in a ported box a tline box should give you the cleanest sound though

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15243
there ya go!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts