Switching plate amp from one sub to another

Username: Johnnyd44

Post Number: 5
Hi everyone.
I have a mission 700as sub , a plate amp driving a 4ohms 10'' driver.
The plate amp is burned beyond repair.
I wanna replace it with the plate amp from an acoustic profile sub till i find something better.
The plate amp in the acoustic profile is driving an 8" , 6 ohms driver.
Considering that i am listening to it at maybe half volume (12 'o'clock position) shoul i be OK even if the new plate is significantly less powerfull and i am using a 4ohms driver.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14805

"If three of my spark plugs aren't firing, will I screw up my engine running it like that until I can afford a new car in a few years?"

Preferrably, you get everything working as it should. If that's not monetarily possible, then you make concessions to the overall volume of the system. The plate amp might not enjoy driving a four Ohm load at any volume. However, considering the highs are far from being prominent in a subwoofer, clipping the amp isn't likely to be what fries your driver.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1074
So, How'd ya fry the amp? Having a little fun, were we?
The replacement amp will probably work, but if you insist on cranking it up, it's gonna burn again.
That the Mission's driver is lower impedance doesn't bode well. The new amp should be 'babied' until you can replace it with a proper amp.

Don't turn it up as loud .....for now...

My sub likes it about 10:00 with higher making the low bass a little thick.

Username: Johnnyd44

Post Number: 6
I actually got the mission from a friend already burned.
I will try it and see what happens ,with a 4 ohms load i will probably not play it as loud anyway.
Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us