Installation of capacitors for speakers..

Username: Bogs

Davao, N/a Philippines

Post Number: 1
there is a problem with my sound system when i higher the volume of my sub woofer (the bass). now, many of my friends told me to i need to install a capacitor to have a great sound for my sub woofer.. my question is "how many volts do i need for 12" sub woofer? i try to install 50v of capacitor.. but i don't think that it is enough.. i have my 12" sub woofer but the problem is i don't know how may ohms it has and how may watts it has, and how many volts of capacitor I'm going to install.. is there any help there dude?

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 377
What is the problem you encounter when you turn up the level on your sub? My guess is that adding a capacitor anywhere is not the answer. Where are they telling you to put this capacitor? In the power supply, inline with the driver, parallel to the driver? Any mention of the value as in how many uF (microfarads)? Most subwoofer issues can be solved with simple adjustments. Moving it further from the wall if possible, turning the frequeny down, turning the bass down, and keeping the level down to proper level should help. If you have either pipe organ music or the Vanessa Williams song "Save the Best for Last", make sure there is no rattling sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15587

If this is a subwoofer for a car system, you should post your question in the Car Audio section of the forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
That's interesting, I assumed this was in your home system since A) this is the home audio side of the forum and B) you mentioned subwoofer in the singular form. I'm not a car audio guy, but last I knew, most people were putting 2 subs in their cars. Now that Jan brought it up, this does sound like a car audio issue. I know at 1 time you could buy a noise filter kit from Radio Shack. It was a coil that looked like a transformer, but wasn't and a capacitor. You would connect the.coil in line with the power to your amp the positive side of the cap to the amp side of the coil and the neg side of the cap to ground. If this is a car audio issue, you should see if the dealer has something like this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
One quick adendum, by "dealer" I mean where you bought the audio gear, NOT the car dealer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us