Harmon Kardon 430 / Audio Pro B2-50

Username: Jmdavi

Hickory, NC USA

Post Number: 1
I would like to know what kind of adapter or configuration of cables to use to divide the pre amp from the amp in the 430 in order to add a Audio Pro B2-50 bass woofer to my system. The B2-50 has a DIN input. Thanks for any advice.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14525

Processors typically are placed in between the pre amp outputs and power amp inputs or within a tape loop. Does the 430 have pre out/main in jacks?

Hickory, NC USA

Post Number: 2
Jan, Thanks for your interest. The instructions for the B2-50 subwoofer call for connecting preamp "out" and amp "in" terminals for both channels to the single DIN terminal on the B2-50. Unfortunately this HK 430 (70's vintage)is integrated and does not have any terminals marked for the preamp or amp. It has the three "inputs" for phono, tape monitor, aux. etc. and then 2 "output" for tape. So maybe this isn't possible. I found a picture and have enclosed a link of an HK 430 like my own. Notice the DIN input just to the left under the antennae. It is marked "tape" also.
Here's the link

http://www.mcbia.com/auction/randy/nick/HarmanKardon-430_2.jpg

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14527

As you describe this there is no way to make a proper connection between the amplifier and the subwoofer. Tape loops are not affected by the volume control and therefore would be of no use in this instance. If the sub has speaker level inputs, you could drive the sub directly from the speaker outputs of the integrated. Otherwise, if the sub requires a line level input, it cannot be achieved with this amplifier.

Hickory, NC USA

Post Number: 3
Jan,
Yes, the BS2-50 can be hooked up to the regular speaker terminals of the amp. I guess this is plan 'B'. The terminals are provided on the subwoofer. Not ideal but still an acceptable route. This means that I'll get the bottom end of the sound still coming through my regular speakers rather than it being filtered out completely but it should still be pretty good.

I don't know if you can help me with this but my problem with plan 'B' is that I have no idea what kind of terminals these are on the B2-50. They are marked properly but I have never seen chassis terminal input configurations like what I'm seeing on the B2-50. They are plastic and square shaped, flush with the chassis with two holes, one hole larger than the other. They are not DIN or anything else I recognize. I think the B2-50 came with an adapter cable for this kind of installation, a cable I no longer have. Any ideas?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14529

Can you show me a picture of the connectors?

Hickory, NC USA

Post Number: 4
Sorry - it is not very clear.Upload

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14530

From what I can see they appear to be similar to the speaker plugs B&O used many years ago. Unfortunately, B&O no longer carries parts for their older systems. I suspect you'll have to contact the manufacturer of the sub to order parts. It's possible a company like DigiKey might have connectors but it would certainly be pure luck finding them.

http://www.digikey.com/

Hickory, NC USA

Post Number: 5
Jan,
Thanks for all your help and especially the tip on B&O. I found the plugs on ebay.
-Jack

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14594
Well done Jack!
Good stuff JV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message