Any opinions on new Rotel RCD-1520?

Username: Lifes_rich_pageant

Post Number: 1
Has anyone heard Rotel's new player, the RCD-1520? My dealer has it in, but they won't be putting it on the floor until the older stuff sells. It retails for $1k and it uses a "Wolfson High Performance" DAC -- dunno if its an WM8740 or not.

I've searched the net but found basically nothing in terms of reviews/opinions. I bought their RCD-1072 a few years ago, which still performs flawlessly. I wonder how it compares to this new unit?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10104
I've not heard it or heard of it...sounds intrigueing though.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12803
The 1070/1072 does so many things right that I will watch for the new 1520.
I don't find any views or specs to see about the digital input and DAC compliment.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2737
A dealer here in Ottawa is carrying the new 15 series. I've been meaning to find the time to stop in and check them out.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 489
Slot loading, any advantages/disadvantages ?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 826
Slot loading = reduced opening = reduced dust

It also has got a real clean look.

Not the best in the case of a CD jam up, though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12817
The top-loading Rega's do take up space...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3351
Slot loading can also mean more scratched CDs. The ones that have been played in my car have straight line scratches that appear to have been caused by the slot.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12843
Your CAR?!?

Pagan

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3352
Want some more Paganism?

My Apple TV is synching up right now. At the rate its going, it should be done some time next week!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12845
Let the tubes warm up.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2038
Car is for AM radio, traffic, sports, weather, politics, and seasonal Christmas music.

I have had the same scratching issue with my CD player in the truck too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12847
I keep all my Bing Christmas cd's in the car,or Stu's closet.
signed;
The most intertesting man in the world.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2040
Yeah, I caught that too. The resemblance is unmistakable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12848
I have a better beard.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12849
Just killing the OP here.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2283
The OP seems long gone.

Back to your Rega bashing Nuck (grin) :

1. Slot loaders scratch discs and don't centre accurately and clamp discs
2. Tray loaders and internal transports don't centre accurately and clamp discs.
3. Both of the above give way to more error correcting required of the player.
4. Top loaders or loaders with clamps like Rega, Naim and others, centre the discs, less error correcting is required, and result in fewer scratching issues by virtue of simplistic loading.

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
Stu, you burn copies of your CDs to play in the car, never the originals. The heat and the cold, at least in Canada will kill them. LOL.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2754
"The most intertesting man in the world."

Stay thirsty my friends.

Yeah, I try to avoid bringing the original copies of CDs in my car. It takes no time at all before they're scratched to hell.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3353
I got an iPod cable for my Apline deck about a year and a half ago, and never looked back.

Post Number: 2
Did someone miss me?

Nuck, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Rotel's RCD-1072. I have it and its an excellent player; I just don't know if their new player would be a big improvement over what I have. Improved DACs for one, but I know there's much more to the sound of the unit than the DACs.

I've been considering the idea of possibly upgrading to an external DAC in the future. The Neko Audio D100 has gotten pretty favorable press.

My current system is all-Rotel (separates), and I don't know if I should take a chance of going outside of the *family* so to speak. I once experimented with a Cambridge Audio 640C as a source to this system, and it just didn't gel well together = wayy too bright.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12855
LRP, I have had the 1072 for years.
It was my preferred player for RnR, but I have supplanted it with the Apollo, and lent out the Rotel.
A while back I did a head to head with the Apollo, 1072 and Classe trans/DAC.

The Apollo will not interrupt your synergy at all.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Nuck. I've read many good things about the Apollo. It's generally a more warmer and analog-like sounding player right?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12863
Tends to be, but the Rega can deliver the dramatics without the drama, IMO.

easily bested the Rotel. in all but the most fatal of guitar attacks, and a few fav drum beats.

The 1072 has an arresting attack, like for Metallica, with the edge t make it sound very square.

I will find the new one to hear, somewhere.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10114
Slot loading would be the end of my interest...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2755
Me too Art. At least with a tray there's usually a manual way to get the disc out in case of failure. Slot I'm not so sure, unless you disassemble the CDP. It happened to me just once with CA.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12869
There is no need for anything other than top loading, except space considerations.
The funky Naim swing-out tray was lame, IMO.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10120
Yeah I have no idea why the swing out tray...wouldn't keep me from buying it though because it won't damage my investment...my music library represents considerable investment and those damn slot loaders scratch discs. I have 2 Cambridge Soundworks radios which are great for the bedroom, kitchen or to take on vacation like we just did...however I only play burned discs or free samplers in them because they are slot loaders and indeed they scratch discs.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2286
Try again, this time with glasses: I love the Naim swing-out trays. Not only do they feel like a good solid base, but placing the cd on it is even more obstacle free than the top loading devices.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3357
The magnetic puck Naim uses in their swing out trays in theory holds the CD perfectly, thus cutting down on tracking and error correction issues.

Common sense tells me that Rega's (and some others') top loading scheme is probably the best approach, but I'm no CD player engineer.

I hate slot loading. I think the only place they have any real use is in car decks, but that's just me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 845
From the top, from the front, from the side - o.k. I'm glad this has stayed on audio.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2769
Haha. This is one of the few threads that hasn't degenerated. Way to go George ;-)

Username: Sro

Boston, MA USA

I just finished burning in my Rotel RCD-1520. It's smoother and more detailed than the RCD-1072, with no brightness. It's like what I expected the Cambridge Audio 840C to sound like but the 840C was way too bright for me. I also like it better than the Bryston BCD-1 and Naim. No marks on any of my cds with the slot loading.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 260
Thanks, SU, for the report.

Good to hear Rotel engineers are capable of designing quality and unique products akin to Naim, Cambridge, Rega, Bryson et al.

Look forward to other "scratched disc slot loading" facts and the SQ of the new Rotel.

Enjoy.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2300
No marks on any of my cds with the slot loading.

Well, not yet, still that's good to hear. When the CD is ejected does enough of the disc protrude to allow grabbing it without touching the data side with your fingers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
It depends; you can use an ice pick if you choose.

The same one I have in my beer tub.

Give the guy a break on a relevant review.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10158
MR's question is relevant.

It's this guy's first post and is hardly a review. I hope what he says is accurate but won't take it as gospel after all we don't know him/her.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2303
JAW -You're probably blind by now, but I thought it was a relevant question. The slot loader in my car doesn't eject the disc enough to be able to grab it without touching the top and underside of the disc. So go back to doing what you do - after all you most likely can't get more blind!

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Perhaps, SU has a hidden agenda to shake up the rank and file with a biased ownership opinion.

The Rotel weighs ~8 lbs more than the Appaloosa which by every account has circumvented all commonly accepted engineering technology by somehow producing a digital Wonder Machine that weighs only 8 lbs.

http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=485&Tab=2&Pic=1

With that convoluted logic in mind, maybe - just maybe, the incompetent engineers at Rotel have developed a slot loading machine that somehow tops the top-loading Rega or those in the $1k category.

I'll reserve a benefit of no doubt to Rotel and wait for more info/reviews to pop up.

The ice pick works, no fingerprints.

Since this has degarded to this point, MR, you really have no comprehension of contrary views or satire, do you?

It's apparent that the Appaloosa link was aimed at you -- a horse's As-sss - of which you don't have any semblance to that handsome animal.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2304
Thank goodness - but then you wouldn't know, you're blind.

And very strange.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10161
And so goes "Life's Rich Pageant".

Anaway...obviously weight isn't the only measure for a cd players success or most of the mid 80's players would still be on top of the heap. I own a Rotel and an Apollo...no competition the Apollo is better.

The new Rotel may sound fab but I for one can't get past the cheesy car stereo slot loading. I'm sure Rotel can live without my sale..even though I bought enough of their gear in the past that they gave me a free AVR upgrade due to my inconvenience with the previous model.

Post Number: 4
Stephen, thanks for your input. What pre/pro did you pair it with? Did you A/B it with the 1072?

You said its performance was better than its predecessor. Was it by a substantial amount, or was the comparison closer than what you had expected? I ask because if I upgrade to this new player, I'd hope it's an improvement over what I have. If not, I may just wait a bit before I decide.

Post Number: 5
Art, I try to get on here as often as I can. The last time I checked the thread was Wednesday, when nobody had heard the unit (not until Steven posted) and the discussion was on Naim so there wasn't much point in me replying.

That's good to hear. It seems like Rotel is a good company to deal with. Three months after buying the RB-1080, one of the channels died. They sent me a brand new one. I haven't had any problems since, thankfully!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12888
Thats heady company, Stephen, and pretty wide spread in cost. Which Naim plaer did you hear, and was it in the same shop as the bcd-1?

The Bryston is held in fairly high regard...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10165
LRP...my comments were not relative to your not being here but instead to the discussion and the direction it had taken...sorry I used your user name but it seemed fitting.

I do indeed like the customer service I've received from Rotel in the past. It may take them awhile to respond but when they do they seem to do right thing.

Boston, MA USA

Answers to all:

I had the Naim 5i and Cambridge 840C in my home for a week. I A/B'd the Rotel RCD-1072 and Bryston BCD-1 in a store. I liked the Bryston slightly better than the 1072 but did no like it better than the new Rotel RCD-1520. The 1520 has the detail of the 840C without the brightness, is equal in bass performance to the Bryston and has the smooth, non-edgy, sound of the Naim. It has the best attributes of all three!

I also A/B'd RCD-1520 with the RCD-1072 and the new Rotel is much better for all the reasons stated above. When Rotel USA got the first one in, I called the tech department and they had looked inside and said that not one circuit was the same as the 1072. They said it sounded great right out of the box.

Don't let the price fool you...Rotel is known for performance that matches components that cost many times its price. This is my 4th Rotel cd player and not one has ever needed a repair. They are very reliable.

Post Number: 6
Okay, Art no problem.

Stephen, it's interesting to hear how highly you think of this player and how well it stacks up against the 840C. I can't wait to give this thing a listen when it comes in.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12894
I always liked the 1072 for RnR, just a push for electic music of that genre.
I chose the Apollo for a resonable mix of capabilities, giving just barely a bit away for LOUD SMASH, but making up in other genres that I am just getting into.

In my previous review, I also compared the both to a 1995 Classe trans/dac, recently back from a tune up(32 caps!)

The Apollo stood tall, winning overall, above the pricey but dated Classe cdt1 and dac-1.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, and pieces come and go, agreed.
It is hard to top the Apollo for value to more attentive listeners.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10168
Naim as smooth and non edgy...never heard that before.

Bryston BCD-1 slightly better than the RCD 1072. I guess that puts the Apollo head and shoulders over that crowd.

I like my modified Rotel RCD 971 considerably better than the 1072 and not in the same ballpark for my ears to the Apollo and the Naim for me is better yet with the Bryston at the top.

Haven't heard the new Rotel and am sure it sounds good.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12896
If 3 people tell me it's that good, I will jump on one.

Buuuut thats gotta be 3 buddies.

Again, that's pretty good company...

"Take care of those you call your own,
and keep good comany."

Queen

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10170
Yep.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
SU, thanks (again) for your detailed impressions.

Could it be that the fatter CD discs, you know the one's jammed with over 700 megs of information, are the ones that get scratched thru the slot?

Welcome to the board and have a good weekend y'all.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2308
Still haven't had an answer to:

When the CD is ejected does enough of the disc protrude to allow grabbing it without touching the data side with your fingers?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12900
Most pertinant..

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2309
It seems to me a slot loader doesn't make a lot of sense in a domestic surrounding. With autos it does because of the lack of room available. Rotel is heading in the same path as Cyrus with this set-up and apart from some liking it for the novelty value I believe it's not too popular.

I think it would be great for Rotel to come out with a real winner, but I don't think this will be it. Sure, I could be wrong.

However, beating the Naim, and Bryston should put it up there on the front page of Stereophile. I don't believe we'll see that happen Stephen.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12903
Maybe it plays like a champ, show me the ink.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 3
MR,

The cd protrudes enough when it is ejected that you only touch the sides with your fingers. The data is left intact. The dealer said it's made by Esoteric and is of good quality. It seems to work quite well.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3376
How much better is the new Rotel than the 1072? I like the 1072. It was a great CDP for the money.

I've heard the 1072 and Bryston BCD-1 side by side. No contest. Slightly better? I'm not telling anyone what they heard or didn't hear, but its not slightly better to my ears. Not even a good bit better. The BCD-1 blew the doors off the 1072, as it should at about 3x the price. System was Bryston BP26, 3B SST2, BCD-1 and B&W 703. There was nothing the Rotel did that the Bryston didn't do significantly better.

What system/s did you use to compare the gear? If the rest of the system wasn't revealing enough, it would explain the lack of improvement. There's a big gap between the Naim CDPs and Rotel CDPs. Yes, I've also head them side by side. And yes, it was on pretty revealing gear. And I've also heard the Apollo side by side with the 1072, in the same shop as the Naim gear. I own an Apollo, so I guess its obvious what I thought the best CDP for the money was.

The BCD-1 is better than my Apollo in every way. Not a night and day better, but a good bit better. Easily good enough to justify the price tag if I had the cash. The Absolute Sound called it 'One for the ages.' I whole heartedly agree.

I haven't heard the 1520. I bet its a great value for money, just like pretty much everything Rotel makes. But Rotel is no Bryston. Bryston is what Rotel wishes they could be.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2790
Well said Stu. I like Rotel, but comparing Rotel to Bryston is apples to oranges man.

A BP-26, 3B SST, BCD-1... holy crap. What a system.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10175
I'm looking forward to the reviews of this player. Rotel has the goods to make a very good cd player, let's see if they can make a great one.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3378
I agree with you Art.

David - As great as that system is, I'd love to hear it with a different pair of speakers. They go great together, but there's a bunch of speakers that I'd take over them.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2312
Thanx Stephen for the disc protrusion answer. Then it's off to a good start. I still don't like slot loaders - Murphy's Law applies to everything.

If I seemed a little abrupt it's that I speculated you were a dealer or someone with an agenda.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2796
Me too Stu. The B&Ws are ok, but there's lots of speakers I'd rather hear on a rig like that.

My RS6's would totally rock out on that system.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 4
Here is the first review of the RCD-1520 I have found. The cd player got the best review and the amp was not as good. 5 out of 5 stars!

This review will eliminate any fears about the slot load drive.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-rec orders/rotel-rcd-1520-608290/review

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10219
On the whole, 5 stars or no, that review leaves me cold and certainly not interested in the player. Sounds like a return to the bad old days when Rotel gear was noted for unrelenting aggressiveness. Pass.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2808
This sounds kinda silly, but I don't like the look of the new stuff either. The slot vents on the front the amps kinda bug me for some reason.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2809
"On the minus side, the amplifier in particular, can sound raw and aggressive. The treble tends towards being bright and edgy too, which is particularly noticeable with other system components that err in the same direction."

Rotel have always been known for slapping you upside the head, but this sounds rather nasty.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2325
This review will eliminate any fears about the slot load drive

Well, not really Stephen, it means it was trouble free during the review time Alvin Gold had it. And reading between Mr Gold's lines, I think Art might be right. But who knows unless we hear it for ourselves.}

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 491
"Rotel points to particular care over parts selection, to the extent of avoiding surface-mount components as far as possible, because component substitution of SMD's is hard work".

I thought SMD's are the wave of the future as they reduced the total amount of circuitry.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3382
I'm with David on this one. That amp is one of the ugliest amps I've ever seen. The other stuff looks like the older stuff, but not as good either. Looks aren't everything, but they could have tried a bit. What was wrong with the old stuff's cosmetics?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2813
I like the look of the older stuff. I had an RB-1070 that was well built and looked cool.

Post Number: 7
Hmm, so it sounds as if the player is particularly worthy of an audition, but the the amplifiers leave something to be desired.

So I guess careful speaker selection is critical especially with this new series. I have my Rotel system mated with Energy speakers, which are known to have a neutral/laid back presentation. I'm guessing the new Paradigm Studio series would also be a good match.

I do agree with you guys about the looks of the 15 series!

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
Lifes_rich_pageant (a.k.a. REM), Energy makes a lot of speakers. What's your setup - you need to update your profile with your system details.
I'm listening to a pair of Energy Pro22 Reference monitors right now and they are laid back with an ooh so smooth midrange.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 492
"Lifes_rich_pageant (a.k.a. REM)"

Fables is a better album but that aside back to the rotel gear and it's appearance. For me the cdp and pre have too many buttons, the face is littered with buttons, looks like Denon gear. The slots on the face of the amp, I am not sure about those yet...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2821
I remember when I had my Bryston pre-amp. It had one button... on/off. Actually it was switch. Whatever. It was cool

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 313
George,

I have the Pro 22s as well. Good speakers. First time I see someone else with them. Cheers.

Post Number: 8
George, nice to see you have some Energy in your setup too. I'm using Energy RC-70s. Great sounding speaker at its price; nice, natural, along with that smoothness that we seem to love. It was the best speaker I auditioned -- I even heard the B&W CM7s as well but was unimpressed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 877
Very nice speaker REM. I like the Reference Cons sound. Quite detailed while being smooth. Good bang for the buck and from a company that's heritage is Canadian.

Post Number: 9
Couldn't agree more George, a truly overlooked speaker. Unfortunately, the cherry and rosenut finishes are discontinued. And I wasn't exactly thrilled upon learning of the departure of chief engineer John Tchilinguirian either. He also designed the Veritas series, which unfortunately I didn't get to hear.

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 60
The 1072 is a mother. Can't do better for the money. Period.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 5
Here's a review from the UK. It's a good review! My RCD-1520 continues to improve, even after I broke it in. It's providing tons of detail, improved bass response and sounds just awesome! It's definitely better than the RCD-1070 I owned for 5 years. The slot loading works just fine and has not scratched any cd's.

http://www.rotel.com/content/reviews/cd%20players/rcd-ra-1520.pdf

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13594
SU, that player is getting very good reviews from quite a few places.

Username: Don_jr

Perinton, NY USA

I've had the RCD1520 since mid summer and it's awesome. I was hesitant about the slot loading but it's actually better than the tray. I'm sure top loaders are great, but for the price of the Rotel you can't go wrong.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10848
The Absolute Sound certainly liked the player. Sounds like a good recommendation if the Apollo weren't the same price or cheaper. Like to hear them side by side.

Username: Don_jr

Perinton, NY USA

I'd like to hear the Apollo. If you ever hear them side by side, please let me know what you think. I was lucky enough to get a great deal on my new kit. A friend of mine has worked at a local shop for 20 years and I picked up the Rotel CDP for $150 below suggested retail. If it weren't for the fact that I really wanted to buy something from him and the deals were abundant, I could have something completely different.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13695
Don, you may yet. It is a strange hobby/obsession.

Enjoy the rotel!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us