Beresford TC-7510 DAC - New kid on the block

Username: Jandl100

Gloucester UK

Post Number: 1
Has anyone else here tried the new TC-7510 DAC and headphone amp by Stanley Beresford? It was making a bit of an initial impression on Head-Fi forum, and the little beast sells for less than $100 on eBay. As it was on money back offer I gave it a try. IMHO it was a significant upgrade from my Benchmark DAC1. I now am a happy owner of the $100 Beresford and have ditched the $1000 DAC1. Ridiculous on the face of it, but true. The Beresford DAC made the Benchmark DAC1 sound a little anaemic and boring. The headphone amp part of the Beresford is a little noisy with my sensitive cans (Sony MDR-CD17) but the noise is fixed level, so a small volume pot in between 7510 and phones, and a tweak of more gain on the Beresford unit and all is sweetness and light (powerful, clear & detailed sweetness & light, mind you!). Fantastic value for the DAC alone anyway. Here are some more detailed comments on the unit.

Description.

The Beresford TC-7510 is a nicely finished little unit. It has 4 digital inputs - 2 RCA co-ax, 2 optical TOSLINK. There are 2 sets of stereo line-level outputs, and a 1/4 inch jack headphone socket with associated volume control. Available in black or champagne (I prefer black).

A couple of extra facilities would perhaps be useful too - one of the two sets of output sockets could be linked to the volume control, allowing direct connection to a power amp; and a digital pass-thru output socket to allow easy digital recording. I'm sure these would impact the low cost though.

Performance.

(NOTE - my comments are necessarily comparative, based on other DACs and CD players with which I am familiar, as well as with the sound of live music. For the record, here is a list of some of the digital components that I have owned over the years, and with which I am inevitably making comparisons of the Beresford DAC: Mark Levinson 36 & 37 DAC & transport, Mark Levinson 39 CD player, Linn Karik 2 CD player, Benchmark DAC1, Eastern Electric Minimax CD player, Meridian 500 & 563 and 200 & 263 Transport/DACs, AudioNote DAC3, Perpetual Technology P3 DAC (with P1A upsampler & Monolithic power supply), Musical Fidelity FCD player, Musical Fidelity 3.24 upsampling DAC, Midiman Flying Calf DAC, Cyrus Discmaster & Dacmaster. All fine performers in their own right. Note also, I only address the DAC section of the 7510 in detail here, not the headphone output.)

Straight out of the box, the TC-7510's sound is pretty grim. Cramped, claustrophobic, shut in, midrange prominent. Not nice at all. Leave it playing for 24 hours though and the veils lift & the sound opens out - and how! The following comments apply to a unit with a few days playing time under its belt.

Images hang in space, independent of the speakers. Quite startlingly so, in fact.
Excellent lateral imaging - very precisely focussed, and stable, too.
Very good depth, with images placed between and behind the speakers. Excellent capture of the acoustic space of the recording. There is a realistic "solidity" to the presented stereo image that is hard to describe, but both remarkably enjoyable and rarely heard with other DACs or digital components. (The Benchmark DAC1 sounds a little vague and amorphous in comparison). Much more of a "you are there" than a "they are here" sound. Overall, the stereo imaging is impressive - relaxed, natural and well focussed. I've not heard better. In fact, I've not heard as good.

Tonal quality is very fine - with no unnatural thinning out of tonal colours in order to falsely accentuate recorded detail. E.g. clarinets and oboes have distinct and realistically different tonality and tonal weight through the TC-7510 - this can be quite a difficult test for a digital component. No greying-out of tonality here!

Detail and transient attack are excellent. The initial "spang" of acoustic guitar or harpsichord are superbly caught. Voices are very "present" & focussed, with excellent articulation and attack, where appropriate. Percussion has real speed & impact.

Treble is smooth and very well detailed. A string section sounds like a string section for a change, not a silky undifferentiated mass or a shrieky cacophany.

Bass is deep, well controlled and articulate. Good "slam" too, especially on DVD blockbuster soundtracks! Great fun.

Dynamics are very good, but I suspect that a higher current "wallwart" transformer than the 1.7A unit supplied would work even better. The largest dynamic swings are, I suspect, just a little constrained. Still impressive enough though, and well controlled.

The DAC is quite sensitive to the choice of digital interconnect used - it would be all too easy to cloud over the excellent transparency on offer here by using a poor or inappropriate cable. I would recommend Supra Trico as a reasonable place to start, and cheap too, although my current fave is Ensemble Digiflux.

Summary.

This is a fine digital control center, incorporating a truly excellent DAC, pretty much regardless of price, I think. For the money asked, this is a supreme bargain that, overall, soundly trounces many a far more expensive "audiophile" DAC making them appear either cloudy, vague & slow - etched & zippy - or just plain boring. (I wouldn't trade back for my old Benchmark DAC1, for example). With Stanley Beresford's money-back trial offer, you really can't go wrong here. Just make sure you run-in the DAC for a day or so before passing judgement. Strongly recommended.

His website is at http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html

You can get to Beresford's eBay listings here http://www.ebay.co.uk

(BTW - I have no links with Beresford, apart from being a very happy customer). He also makes phono sections, but I have not tried these.

Username: Glacier8

Beresford scam

Stanley Beresford has been uncovered as a fraud.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/link-beresford-tc-7510-bashing-headfi-bashing-2 67232/index2.html#post5488620

He's also banned on Hifiwigwam

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2376
Is that your *real* name, John?

Gloucester UK

Post Number: 2
"Beresford scam

Stanley Beresford has been uncovered as a fraud. "

Well ... that's not true, really. It's claimed that on the HeadFi site he has used multiple IDs to keep interest up in the threads about his DAC. Naughty but not illegal, I think. Fraud is a very harsh word!

And there are lots of very happy Beresford DAC users out there, especially now that his latest TC-7520 has been released with a USB port input.

Regardless of some dubious forum tactics, he makes mighty fine DACs!

(Oh, and he got banned from Hifiwigwam for not being willing to pay the 50GBP annual dealer fee - nothing at all to do with any alleged dubious practices).

I suspect that John Doe is just a troll just trying to stir up trouble!

Post Number: 2
haha. 'To keep interest up'. Nice political way of saying.
You might want to read the Herandu/Beresford files someone on Headfi made. Very enlightening. Beresford gone great lengths in misleading everybody.
You could easily be him for instance, especially looking at your first post.

You're concluding that I say that the dac is no good. Wrong. I'm just warning about Stanley B. Enough reason for me to avoid his dac as a matter of principle.

Gloucester UK

Post Number: 3
Me? No - I'm Jerry - you can catch me on the Hifiwigwam site - same ID - JANDL100. Several thousand posts there, I'm well known.

I am kind of curious as to why you are hiding behind a pseudonym, though. Not exactly honest & open, is it?

Post Number: 3
Pseudonyms are common and wise when on the internet. Besides, it's offtopic who I am. Don't shoot the messenger.

Username: Dc_lee

I'm with John Doe on this one. That first post is so obviously Beresford himself that it's laughable. Nobody who has ever heard a Benchmark DAC1 compared to a Beresford DAC would make the claims he is making. A Benchmark DAC1 is superior in every way.

This is the exact same tactic he was banned from Head-Fi for. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that both these "Jerry" fellows are located in Gloucester, UK too. This guy is truly pathetic.

Username: Soundpirate

Or maybe he's evaluating in another way than those people that go hard for transparenct,. Transparency people often tend to miss the colourings in the musical flow. So if you like the brand linn and the way linn priors low musical coloring, you would probably pick, Beresford dacs before DAc-1, it's not hard to beat DAC-1 in musicality, Even old linn cd-players does that in standby mode.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us