Aragon Stage 1 or Rotel 1098?

Username: Hibbardsmith

Post Number: 2
I'm currently using a Sony TA-9000ES with an ATI 1505 as my pre/power amp combination, and I'm absolutlely delighted with it. However, to graduate to newer technology it seems I need to upgrade my Sony 9000.

I'm going back and forth between the Aragon Stage 1 and the Rotel 1098. How about some opinions on which way would make the better choice. It seems as though each unit has some advantages over the other. I guess what I'm really soliciting is opinions about the sound and video quality of each. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Rotel. Is there some good reason that that's a good or bad choice?

Unregistered guest
Have you bought either the Aragon or Rotel? I have been contemplating the same two pre-pros and I am wondering if you acted. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 335
I own the Aragon Stage One with the Aragon 2007 amplifier. A great combination that is THX Ultra 2 certified and is easily software upgradeable through the rear port.

Some people might not like the fact that the Aragon Stage One doesn't have on screen display--other than it's blue fluorescent display, but it is the most intuitive AV preamp I ever used, so I don't find it a problem. The manual isn't great in explaining many of the features and if you take the time to "drill" deeper into the system you find that it is capable of a lot of functions that are glossed over and even omitted in the manual. With the excellent and pre-programmed Pronto Neo remote it is very easy to use. It also has a super clean bypass for excellent stereo listening.

It isn't a balanced preamp, but I have never had a hum or hiss problem with it. As it has plenty of competition, I would not buy it unless you can get it at a substantial discount. The Audio Advisor is selling their Aragon products they had on display at the January 2004 CES show. They have the Stage One at $2,499 and the 2007 amp at $1,799 and the 2005 at $1,499. At those prices it makes the Aragon's a killer combo. They also have a deal for a new Aragon Stage One where you can ship them any old preamp or receiver and get $1,000 off the $3,995 list price. Hence you end up paying $2,995 if you have an old and decrepit preamp or receiver lying around.

Whether it is better or not than the Rotel is probably more a matter of taste and user comfortability than real life listening. The best I can say is you should try the Rotel, the Aragon, and another excellent preamp--the Anthem 20 version 2 and see which one you prefer. There is little doubt that you will get excellent performance from all of them.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 140
Rotel makes fine gear, but as a long time owner/user of Aragon components, I have to give them the nod on this one. Superior build quality and sound IMHO.

TBurg
Unregistered guest
I also had the Sony TAE-9000ES. I did the upgrade to Aragon Stage One and love my choice.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1408
I would have to agree with most of the replies hear.

I am running some rotel equipment and find it excelent for it's price
comparisons, and although i love the look and build/sound quality
of the anthem stuff. the lack of onscreen menu i
would not want to deal with.

personally I find that feature a must as i'm in their quite often.

Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 7
I can not agree that Aragon has superior build quality over Rotel processors. Sound is so subjective that each of us has to decide his preference so that area is neutral. I considered replacing my Rotel with Stage 1. I could live with the sound of either. The lack of OSD and the difficult set up and operation of the Stage One was the deciding factor in not keeping it. I ultimately chose the Anthem and have no regrets.

Kegger,
Anthem has OSD.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1425
sorry I meant " Aragon Stage One "

Username: Matricks873

Post Number: 1
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE OR KNOWS WHERE TO GET SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS FOR THE ARAGON SOUNDSTAGE....?
I WILL BE AMAZED IF NONE EXISTS.....

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4519
Wayne,
Try contacting Klipsch. Customer service should be able to help you out.

Username: Prairie

Kennett, MO USA

Post Number: 1
You have to admit, the Aragon pre/pro and amp is one spectacular looking combination.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us