The guest who came to dinner

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2255
Came back from my dealer yesterday with a Saturn to test drive.

I've been living with the SE for 3 mths now and loving it more and more with each passing day. It is a wonderfully smooth, rhythmic, detailed player for which I have no complaints and can only bestow loads of praise upon it for what it delivers for its price.

I had both players hooked to the A5 with identical cables, though a new set was connected to the Saturn. I played rock, reggae, jazz and blues and found some identical tracks to synchronize and for switching players without the song missing a beat.

To cut to the chase, the SE is so close to the Saturn it's not funny given the price difference. It's almost a Saturn in every respect and it really takes a while listening to the music to understand 'almost'. The Saturn has more bandwidth, it delves deeper into the music, the timbre of instruments are amazingly natural (slightly pipping the SE again), bass is slightly fuller sounding but extremely well controlled, vocals are as natural and lifelike as I've ever heard and of course it's a toe tapper into the bargain.

If the two players were glasses of water, the SE would be 90% full and the Saturn - well you'd spill it if you tried to pick it up.

Basically, if you can get an SE, you would almost have a Saturn, and the difference in price is not really worth it unless you want to dig every nuance from a recording in an exceptionally smooth, rhythmic and natural Manner.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 603
Great roundup MR. I wouldn't mind having a Saturn over for dinner.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10054
Very interesting...wish an SE type model was available to he masses...perhaps in the in future.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12729
I still say Rega should have a digital in for the Apollo or SE, and price it near the Saturn(in the case of the SE).

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 607
It's not a Rega, but it seems like a relatively reasonably priced swiss army knife of a cdp.....and apparently it sounds good too.

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/106quad/

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2256
Oh and by the way - since no one guessed - the dinner guest has found permanent lodgings in our household.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12730
Wow, MR, you traded up pretty quick!
You must really be enamoured with the Saturn.
Cograts on the player, mate!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2258
You must really be enamoured with the Saturn.

Completely Nuck!

I know I was bad but it couldn't be helped :-)

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2722
Wow, very cool M.R. What did you do with the SE?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10058
Congrats on the Saturn!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2011
M.R. Did the Saturn have any hours on it before it found itself at your door stoop?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2611
Good stuff M.R. I am sure it will only get better with time too.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2259
Thanx guys,
The Saturn is new and as Nick says, will only get better - it already has. I got my full investment back on the SE and my amp fixed for free.

As I said, the SE is very close to the Saturn, but the Saturn is a little better at everything the SE does. The sheer enjoyment it gives me from the musical point of view and the fact this player is going to have to be the one that I'll be sticking with now for many years and, that I didn't lose on the SE, helped with the decision.

Also it has brought such astounding musicality and new life to the entire system, no upgrades for any other components will be necessary. (or affordable :-)

Mike, one thing I noticed is that Rega have given the Saturn (and other components) an new bottom plate where the heat sink fins stretch entirely to the rear of the player instead of the half circle type. As you know, it has much more heft than the SE or std Apollo.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3342
Have you heard the Bryston BCD-1, Rantz? I think they're about the same price here. Not sure about down under.

If you haven't committed yet, track one down.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2261
Stu, the Bryston is about another grand here (and getting my wife to allow me another grand would be like trying to coax a haemophiliac to climb through a barb wire fence).

I know they are very, very good from all reports, but there's a line that has to be drawn - there's always something better and it's not about that. It's the musical pleasure as you know. Anyway, I am as happy as a pig in mud.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12732
A dealer in Toronto has a small cache of SE's available.
I called the guy and he said 1500 CDN$.
Thats like 1250 USD.

maybe he is reclaiming them from down under?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 609
Congrats MR. Yes, we should have asked if the "guest" became a roommate.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2263
Thanx Chris - btw, the Quad is a very decent player I've heard and the digital input is a nice bonus.

Nuck - go on and grab an SE - they are very good value. Seriously!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3668
MR, the problem with your original test is that the Saturn takes a full 24 hours of being awake before it starts to really show what it can do as far as I'm concerned. I will refuse to demo a Saturn against an Apollo if they're cold simply because there's almost no difference between the two in that situation. Once the Saturn 'wakes up' it really is in a different league in my opinion.

But a lot of people don't like the fact it takes so long to wake up.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3343
Very interesting on the pricing, Rantz. I had no idea the gap was that great where you are. The price difference here is $300.

The Saturn is an outstanding player worth every penny (or whatever you guys call it) of its retail price. I wouldn't look forward, backward, or sideways. I mentioned the BCD-1 because I missed the part where you said you were keeping the Saturn.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2264
Frank, I tested the player over a long period. I knew the Saturn took some warming to open up and it still certainly sounds better each time I listen - which is several hours after power up. And yes, the difference may be even greater than my previous estimate, but this doesn't take away the fact that the SE isn't a stand out player itself - comparing apples with apples it is extremely good value for the money. The extra cost for the Saturn is worth it for me but maybe not for others, although if they have the money and give it good listen it would be difficult not to take it.

My music is being rediscovered. I'm ecstatic!

Stu - we call them cents here too, only Frank spends a penny on this forum :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12741
pence

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 818
Wonderful news M.R. It's so nice to hear about someone finding something they really love, being able to get it and enjoy the pleasure.
Sounds like the Saturn is worth it all in your system.

Happy listening.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2266
It is, George - it really is.
Thanks.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2016
Have you hit 200 hours yet?

That's the usual number bantered around these parts.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2268
Mike, it's not been a week yet, I gotta sleep too :-)

But, as someone famous once sang: "It's getting better all the time."

And not that it really needs too. There's a lot of superlatives that could be used to describe this player, but why tell someone who knows?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2019
M.R. She will burn in while you sleep. Just throw in some Black Sabbath and hit "Replay DIsc", then turn the A5 off or all the way down .

She also likes to get good and warmed up to do what she does best.

Normally I would have used "It" but "She" seemed to work better in this post. LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12779
You bought a boat, MR?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12780
If i buy a SE , what do i do with the Apollo with no remote?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2022
the Apollo came with a remote...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12784
It's that whole 'get out in a hurry' thing Mike...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2269
Mike, you mean have 'her' turned on while I sleep?
Get outa here!

Seriously, I'm happy to have her run in over due course especially as she sounds so good now. Probably has about 20 hrs now. Thnx for pm - funny to horrific!

Nuck, the remotes are not that expensive.

Boat? What boat?

Another good thing to know is that replacing the lasers in the Apollos and Saturns isn't expensive according to my dealer - as they are a Sanyo product.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3676
You should only ever turn her on. :-) Turn her on, slip something in and press her buttons for some serious playtime, even when you're not there. That's how she likes to be treated and when you treat her that way she responds to you in kind..

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2270
Ooooooookay then, now I can throw away the books. Thanks Frank

I left her playing alone yesterday and will continue with that for a while. She is sounding very nice though!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2025
Oh sure I tell you to leave her turned on and you want to break her in gently, Frank tells you to leave her turned on and you decide to slap her a$S and call her Sally.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2272
LOL!

EDIT:

Sally Saturn - the sexy cdp. Yep, that works okay Mike, seeing I have to lift her top to make her play. Oh boy!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10093
XXX

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2274
Just shut your eyes Art.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 258
Congrats on the Saturn, M.K.!!!

She sure is a tempting mistress.

I find the Apollo and Saturn both very addictive, in terms of their musicality.

Once you get that Saturn singing, you're probably not going to want to go to work

If I didn't work from home, I'd be fighting off the temptation to stay home, lay back and let my Saturn seduce me with it's velvet hands.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2275
NMy, Thanks.

I know what you mean. It's hard to stop listening to the music and get on with other things. But alas, we must.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10097
Couldn't help it MR...lol!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3685
Sorry for lowering the tone of the conversation there, but it was just too tempting...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2288
Think nothing of it, Frank.

I leave her turned on most of the time now, so she's ready, willing and able whenever I'm ready.

And does she know how to play!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3694
Isn't it great when she's like that?

(For God's sake Frank, Stop it STOP IT!!)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2297
Yes Frank, a little bit of control LOL!

I picked up a new pair of Chord Cobra 3 interconnects for a good price on Ebay to try. I really like the Vdh D102 Mk3 hybrids so it will be interesting to compare. I have 2 pair of the latter, one with factory fitted plugs and the other with another type of gold plated plugs. Strangely the factory fitted ones aren't a tight connection, so they'll be resold if the Chord wins out. I'll use the other Vdh for SACD stereo if that's the case. I don't like to have to wrestle with interconnects but a relatively firm connection is optimum I would think.

Anyhow, a little more run in time and I'll give more of my thoughts of the Saturn. Needless to say I already love it.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3697
Hmmm, interesting. Art would prefer the vdh. I might prefer the Cobra.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10166
I had the D102 mkIII and liked 'em, however I like "The Well Hybrid" a bit better. I use "The Waterfall" in my main system and really like what they do. I would love to hear the Cobra's in my second system because they fit the gear in there pretty well I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us