Anthem 225 Integrated Amp

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1165
Anyone have experience with this integrated receiver? They go for around $1500 - $1800 CDN (new) and seem to provide bang for the buck. I don't have much experience with Anthem sound but have been told that it's honest (transparent), flat with a slight roll-off at the highest frequencies / polite. I'm just wondering how Anthem would compare to Bryston - say a B60 or B100.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/integrated-amp/integrated-225

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4035
I think Nuck has some recent experience with this piece.

You looking at auditioning George?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3077
My dealer has this integrated amp in store for demo and its very good. Punchy sound, well built. Different sound than Bryston. Depends on system/room/personal tastes for which you prefer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1167
To be honest, I've been giving some consideration to an integrated from a simplicity and cost perspective.
Nick - can you be more specific on the key differences in the sound of Anthem with Bryston? (I'm taking Bryston ST/SST vs the Anthem 225, not the SST/2 which I know is a significant evolution of the Byrston house sound)
Dave - I may seek an audition but first wanted to get some feedback on whether it would be worth my while. Would I be taking a noticeable and clear step back in sound quality in moving from a Bryston 3B-ST with Grant Fidelity DAC/pre to the Anthem 225 integrated?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4040
I like the idea of using an integrated as well George. Less space, less cables, less complexity.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1168
The one I was looking on CAM and called the guy about on Monday is SOLD - did Nuck buy it???? LOL.

When I spoke to the guy who was selling it, he was very upfront and honest. He told me that he has moved to a Bryston 4B-ST, with an Emotiva pre-amp powering Paradigm Studio 60's and found this was a clear improvement in clarity - especially in the midrange. He actually lives near by me in Ajax (15 minute or so drive), so we agreed to keep in touch and possibly get together. Hence, my questions about integrateds and specifically the Anthem 225.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3079
I personally don't feel Anthem is quit the class of Bryston in terms of sound and build quality, but thats just my personal opinion George. Bryston I find brings out more detail, has more slam, and has better timing. What Anthem brings is almost a dark, yet level sound with overall good dynamics. Almost like a higher quality NAD without the grain. Then again, you may like the Anthem sound better. The thing with a Bryston amp is that you have to have a good pre amp paired with it to get the most out of it. And of course this all depends on your system, and room. Giving that you might the Anthem sound better, or not.

Username: Pigman

Post Number: 4
I have to agree on Nicks assesment on Anthems sound.I cannot comment on bryston though.
Aaron

Gold Member

Post Number: 1169
A dark sound is not my preference. I'm a detail fanatic and will sacrifice liquidity for detail to a point, hence my love for Bryston sound. The more and more I consider it, the more I'm convinced I may need to penny up for a BP25 to get to where I want to get. Thanks Nick for the comments.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4042
George, one of my favourite systems I ever own was my Bryston BP-20/Power Pac combination. The BP-20 can be had in Agon for around 6 bills.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3081
The BP-20 is a fantastic pre amp. For the small performance difference the Bp25 brings I say buy a BP20 as even used it can be had for quite a bit less.

David- Did u sell the BP-20?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4043
Yeah, I sold it off way back when to finance the McIntosh purchase. One of the pieces of gear I regret selling.

At least I made money on in ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3085
LOL thats good. Enough to fun another one someday maybe. hehe.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3861
The BP-20 doesn't have a remote while the BP-25 does. I wouldn't buy something without a remote again.

I don't think the BP-20 had the external power supply either. While it's not a huge improvement, the MPS1 external power supply makes a decent difference for the BP-25 IMO.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4044
My BP-20 had the external power supply, although you're right, the lack of remote was a bit of a drag.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1170
I think I may just have to bite the bullet and get the BP-25 and be set for a long time. I would not step up to a BP26 unless I went SST with my amp - which will be a few years out - for sure. The remote is a feature worth the extra cost.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3086
I wouldn't personally need the remote as I use the volume control on the Media Center with my touch screen Logitech Harmony. So if anybody knows of a BP-20 around for a good price let me know.

The BP-25 should offer up a tad better quality as well George. Can't go wrong either way. I think I saw a BP-25 a few weeks ago on CAM for 800 with external PSU.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15124
More recent experience with the Anthem225 yesterday.
Pigman is running the 225 with Gallo 3.1 speaker set, and I had an hour with it.
The Anthem gives great space and stage.
Power is more than adequate.
It is a smooth delivery with very little coloration, and doesn't seem like it will kill a lesser recording, although I didn't try a questionable one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us