Unison Research Unico P vs Rega Mira 3

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9357
I have a chance to trade my 2 1/2 yr old Mira 3 for the Unico P. The Unison is used as well. They had tried changing out speakers with the amp on and blew a cap and it had to be repaired. It has a clean bill of health and is on its way down to me for an audition.

Would you be concerned about it's ongoing health? If it sounds better than the Mira 3 would you dismiss the fact that it's been repaired and just enjoy? How do ya'll feel about it?

Has anyone here had any experience with the brand and how did you find it?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12024
I use Unico canned tomatoes and Olives...

No opinion other than a dead cap in a new unit.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13487
Everything breaks, that's why there are repair departments. Any competent technician should have repaired the unit properly and made certain it performed to spec or better before returning the amplifier. I would no more be concerned about a repaired amplifier with an otherwise clean bill of health than I would a car with a new set of tires.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12025
So long as the tire dealer is nearby and quick to respond.

Firestone 721 radials...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9360
He is 2 1/2 hr drive away and I belive would be quick to respond if there was a problem.

I'm looking forward to giving it a run.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 625
"They had tried changing out speakers with the amp on and blew a cap and it had to be repaired."

I don't think blowing a cap under those conditions is a fatal flaw, particularly if the amp is not designed for that kind of abuse.

Art, you will want to know about the design limitations, even though you may not plan to push up against them, but I agree with Jan that an amp repaired by a competent tech is nothing to shy away from. Nuck's 721s are another matter...

Look forward to your impressions when you get it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12026
I didn't find a great deal of information on it.
Have you heard the line before, Art?
Maybe with Devore bookshelves?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9362
Never heard any Unison before. It was mentioned once here on the Forum by Jan (in a group of products recommended) I think. Also another forum where I'm a member it is highly regarded. It reviewed pretty well.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13488

It's Italian. What's not to love? It plays music instead of distortion graphs.

Open a chilled bottle of Prosseco and enjoy the music.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2417
Art- I have a magazine I will dig out that did a article on a Unison integrated. It was very highly regarded. From the look of the thing they are hand built by a man, for a man.lol Enjoy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9364
It arrives this evening...think I'll follow Jan's recommendation...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12028
Prego!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13491

"Please"?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12032
Skol?

ciao?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 735
Salute!

Silver Member

Post Number: 736
No really Art, it does look interesting. I like the tube/solid-state hybrid. I'd be interested to hear your take once you get it all hooked up.

Let us know.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13493

Godere/enjoy.

You know, like, "He godere and hecame back with a smile and a disease".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9365
LOL!

So far so good guys. Very nice sounding amp. A little less control over the bass drivers and just a hair less depth in imaging...but if you believe, as I do, that the music lives first and foremost in the midrange this amp is very good. It's really just warming up.

It's not in the condition I had hoped for it has a small, only noticeable in the right light ding on the top of the front panel and just a little little mark on top as though someone sat a dring on it or something. Both aren't noticeable unless you have a light directly on it which I did while hooking it up. In other words it's 7 or 8 on Agon which makes it a 9 for Kurt...to be expected.

I rolled the volume knob all the way around and it's dead silent...quieter than the Mira 3, that surprised me. It also runs very cool.

They forgot to send the owners manual so I'm not sure how to determine whether the phono is set for MM without risk. Also since I listen to this system on the weekend is it ok to leave it on for the weekend then turn it off for the work week...hmm.

Obviously much, much more listening has to be done to determine a winner and make valid comparisons to the Mira 3...much fun to had!

Silver Member

Post Number: 738
This will be interesting, especially since you've got it hooked into an all Rega setup.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 161
You'll love it Art. When I had the Pathos (also Italian), which is hybrid, I loved it. To my ears, better than all solid state amp I had before... I love tube...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9371
Question for anyone who might know the answer...I have a slight hum or buzz next to the unit when I get close and listen...not through the speakers but from the unit, is this ok or normal. I don't hear it when listening...at least not yet. A late night listening session may reveal it. I have to get within a couple of feet of it with the music off during the day to hear it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 740
Art, sounds like a mechanical hum. My Bryston 3B-ST does it. When I've got the ground lift open, there is not hum on the speakers but the amp itself hums. Bryston told me some hum can be normal but if you can hear it in a quiet room from 3 or more feet away then they will fix it. Mine you can hear at that distance or a little farther so one of these days I'm sending it in for warranty service.
Art, it may be better after it warms up a bit - like 3 hrs, mine does.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9373
It's been on for about 24 hrs now. I confirmed with another owner of the same amp that it's normal and his does the same thing. I will write my impressions later but let it suffice to say that in spite of the fact that I hate hum I'm addicted to the sound of the amp and it ain't goin' anywhere. Couldn't go back to the Mira 3 after hearing this. Better in every way including the ways in which I didn't think it was better to start with such as controlling the bass drivers and imaging.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3242
I heard a Unico in passing a few years ago. It was out of my price range at the time, and I can't remember what was connected on either end of it. It sounded very good to my ears.

STO has a new Unico P listed on Agon for $1049. Not sure if you're interested in going that direction instead.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1243702251&/Unison-Research-Unic o-P-50w-hy

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3244
If you're looking to go with a tube integrated again, I have two words - Manley Stingray.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9378
This is a straight trade for my Mira 3...can't be beat! The hum is never audible unless you are within a foot or so with no other sound in the room...not a problem.

My Unico P is sounding incredible as I type. When and if I go tube integrated again I have 2 words (and some numbers)Stu...Mastersound Compact 845!

Silver Member

Post Number: 745
Wow Art! That is a big move for you. Sounded like you were with Rega all the way. Clearly the Unico P made a real impression on you. All the best with it!

Congrats!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2136
Congrats Art and I thought you'll hath no other God but Rega also :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9389
The Mira 3 is on the UPS truck headin' due north and the Unison is at home in my rack!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2140
Tres cool Art!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12047
Very nice Art!

Prego!

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 636
Very nice Art. Have you run down a manual yet? Glad you're enjoying it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9393
Have a manual on the way.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3245
I haven't heard a Mastersound. Maybe I'll run in to one one of these days. I really liked the Unico when I heard it. Its definitely one of the must audition amps for anyone looking in its range.

Two questions if I may...

Have you heard their CD players? Contemplating it?

Any pics of the remote? They still use the wooden one, right? If its the same one, it was one of the coolest remotes I've ever seen.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9394
For the P it's a cheap plastic remote..sorry.

I haven't heard their cd players but if I had the dough I'd be giving one a listen. I was going to save this for the write up but here it is...

The Unico kicks the snot out of the Mira 3 in every way that I know. with special attention to....PRaT.

Yep this amp is so much more rhythmic and pacey than the Mira that it's amazing. For my ears it has the entry level Naim amp beat all to heck in that department. There are many cd's that I enjoyed in the past that now make so much more sense musically that it has me bewildered.

For example I always liked Luciana Souza and have seen her a number of times live...then my wife and I go home and break out her cd's and though I still enjoy her my wife totally loses interest because she sounds just kind of avearge and her voice loses alot of the life of the live performance. Friday night I played the Brazilian Duos cd and for the first time that cd made total sense...I could follow every line and Luciana sounded like the singer we love to see live...just alive and vital as it should be.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2141
Sounds like you've found a great amp Art.
An amp that's past due to come out of the closet it seems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Hey Art, that Unico has very nice lines. Your shots do much more justice than the one's on their website..maybe it's the lighting.
It must be something really find to move you off the Mira so fast. We'll just have to wait for your full review but what you've provided is sweet.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13497

IMO those who deny the existence of PRaT should listen to some "difficult" music through a system capable of separating multiple rhythmic lines and placing them in the context of the whole and then through a system that schmushes them all together into one unlistenable and ultimately irritating blob. If we all had Italian, French or high end Japanese components and speakers, those "national sounds" that respect the music above the on paper numbers, Mose Allison would be far more highly regarded.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9399
Totally agree.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums