Upgrading to Itunes Plus

Username: Tyreel

Post Number: 1
I was think about Itunes plus and the possibility of upgrading those protected files I have from them. I guess everybody knows that till April or so everything on itunes should be drm free. That's good news but what about the songs I bought from itunes that are still protected. I can choose to upgrade them to itunes plus but not for free, there's of course a fee. Is it really worth upgrading?

Username: Coopeer

Yeah, the only thing good at they to free that crapy DRM, that's the only thing goo, because the upgrading again the files we have paid already for them is a stupid move. cause so you lose a big amount of money especially if your library is huge. Another way to make money, in my opinion. I really don't agree to pay for a track that I've already paid for it. And this is not about one track, casue I have a lot of music from them. Bad move in my opinion.

Username: Dreward

Not surprising at all.It usually happens like this, play by the rules equals getting screwed.

Username: Cowboy_tom

Right now I have calculated I spent round $70 to upgrade some songs. I also have other tracks that have DRM that weren't upgradable yet, last time I checked. It's a rip off that I have to pay an additional 30 cents for tracks I already paid for. I'm still deciding on what I should do. I would really like to see the day when all my music is drm free.At least they took out that option for upgrading your entire library or nothing.

Username: Malkop

I consider those persons thieves because they are trying to steal as much as they can from us everytime they can. That's not fair for their users which were their clients forever. They should do a 100% discount for them because we paid a lot for music. I'm not agree with this either. But unfortunately they don't take into consideration our needs.

Post Number: 2
I was really happy when I saw that they'll free that crappy DRM but, unfortunatelly I didn't calculate how much I'll spend again for the same music. I didn't do that yet, but I have about 500 DRM-ed tracks from Itunes store. Too much money spending on what??? If I think twice I regret I got all that music from there. I'm wondering if there's another way to get our music free from drm

Username: Dreward

You also shouldn't be be too excited about the music they sell now, it might be drm free, but your email or id will be tied to the tracks you buy. I'd think twice about sharing my music and risk having running around music that could be traced back to me.

Username: Tyreel

I'm not interested in sharing my music on p2p networks, so I don't care if I am tied to them in some way. At least I wouldn't have to worry about drm. Although still not convinced about upgrading ,I wouldn't like to to choose only the ones I listen to all the time.I paid for all the music so I'd really want to keep it all. One thing I like is that, at least ,the upgraded music is in better quality than the ones I have now.

Bronze Member
Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 81
Tyrel,
I am in the MP3 /MP4 business.
Good news for you.
Apple has anounced that they are droping DRM, So Has Wal-mart and just about everyone else.
This should make it easy for you to find the music that you are looking for at the sound quality you must have.
There is software out there called OGG. If you player has it, it is the best that I have found. No compression, No conversion.
Good Luck,
Db

Bronze Member
Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 82
Tryel,
I know that there will be a Fee for players to I-Tunes compatible. I have several units at Apple to be "confirmed" I-Tunes compatible. I do not know what that fee is going to be. They have not told us yet. These players will be ready come 3rd quarter- and "Black Friday" promotional.
Good Luck,
Db

Username: Margot87

It's good that drm is starting to be ditched.
As for the quality of the music they offer you now, I think it depends on the gear you use for listening to your music. For example the earbuds that come with the iPod, those are hardly good audiophile quality,I bet u won't really see the difference. Of course if u have good headphones or quality stereo speakers you might find a small diference.

I like this idea of increasing the quality, but they should have done this before not now when they've freed the DRM, cause this might seems like an add: update your files without DRM in exchange of 0.30$ but it is with a higher quality. Which can not be perceptible. :-))

Username: Pocci

That's great, they've freed the DRM so now I have all the music DRM-ed free and I can play it on all the music players I want..... Really I like this idea and I'll upgrade all my music I bought so far. Don't think I have a few songs, no, I have about 300 and I don't want to lose my music. And let's be honest, 0.30$ per song it isn't that much. Yet, I can't wait till April to have all my music without DRM :D

Too much money spent on some music that u paid for already...It suck to pay a lot of money to upgrade all the music I have from Itunes.Even 30c is too much. As for the quality I'm not really that sure if I could tell the difference between 128 kbps and 256 kbps if I listen to it on ipod or phone.

Username: Blackjones

I never liked to buy from itunes. The upgrade shouldn't burn such a big whole in my budget, for now I only kept the ones I like the most. But I pity those here who have a whole lot of music and videos. Of course another way to have the music without drm would probably be welcomed.

Post Number: 3
@Roland, everyone is free to do whatever he likes with his money and you, Roland, can throw your money, I really can't do this and I don't accept this idea, why should I pay again for smth I've already bought?? Yet, I'll search for another way to free the DRM, till then I leave it with DRM...

No way, for nothing in this world I won't let my music with DRM, I love it too much :D I've already upgraded some of my songs and guess what they have a better quality. This step made me believe that those guys really care about their customers needs. :-)

Yeah right. If they cared about costumers they would have given up drm long time ago and offered free upgrade for the bought songs.

Username: Aidandrews

I think nobody forced anyone to buy all that music. I always like to convert the protected files I buy. This way I don't have to worry when something like this happens.And I don't have any intention to share them or something like that.

Geez, in this way you can mess with the law and I definately don't want to de that, so I'll stick with my opinion

Hey, Aidan guy said he won't share his music with anyone, so I don't see either smth illegal here... Indeed a good option the conversion.

Don't see what's illegal here. What's wrong with wanting to use the files I pay for my personal enjoyment on whatever device I want.And anyways converting drm'ed files is old news, if u ask me.

Post Number: 4
Yeah, you're right, this is a good idea, but as far as I know it is illegal to remove the drm even if it's for personal use. They could have allowed us to transfer the music we pay for on at leat 2 players...

Post Number: 4
Indeed, it's illegal, because as long as you remove the DRM, all you what to do is the crack it. And then of course you get mess with the law and risk to get in jail just for some music. And think again: is it worthing??

Who said anything about cracking?
I was merely thinking about recording what comes through your sound card.U can't say that the file has been messed with as long as it's not cracked.This indeed becomes illegal when u start sharing them.

Post Number: 5
Yeap, let's take it as you say, but those recordings douesn't affect the files' quality???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us