New Marantz amp: PM-8003

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 79
Anyone heard it already? Anyone have any thoughts?

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2570.asp

It says "coming soon", but it already seems to be on sale at Audio Advisor for $999.

I'll be buying an amp next year (hopefully) and this one will be on my short list.

I like the styling. The gold logo on brushed black was kind of a Marantz thing, but it look kind of gaudy. I prefer the new silver/grey logo.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 864
http://whathifi.com/BestBuys/Hi-fi-amplifiers-BestBuys/Amplifiers/

You can do even better by buying one of these prize winners at www.audiogon.com - slightly used.

Naturally the price will be much lower, and you will end up with more quality for the buck.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 722
I've just bought a pm7003. Its essentially the same as the 8003 just without the copper plated chasis, slightly smaller capacitors, and an el transformer instead of toroidal.

The 7003 is a superb amplifier, much better than my ancient NAD model 60 which is up for sale on ebay. The NAD is good but just matched my previous speakers, not my new ones.
So musical and smooth, not bright at all.

Highly recommend anyone considering a £400 amp to give the 7003 a go!

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 497
"You can do even better by buying one of these prize winners at www.audiogon.com"

James, I'm curious as to why you think one of those products is better for the OP ?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3162
Every post by James is the same thing. A review of a piece of gear followed by his Audiogon line. I've never seen anything else from him.

He told someone else to buy something solely because it got 5 stars and it was a few bucks cheaper on Audiogon.

Great advice if you ask me.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 724
Lets not get confused between the James's here...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3548
James (Lee),

All you ever do is recommend that contributors go away from this site to audiogon. What gives?

Dan,

I've played with the 8003. Given the number of extras it has over the 7003 according to (the other) James, I'd expect it to be substantially better.

That said, although I appreciate its clean, crystal clear presentation and undoubted power I still think it's a soulless machine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Not sure when I'll be buying, I may have to push back the purchase. But I'm likely going to buy from a dealer who carries Arcam, Marantz, and Cambridge. I'll hopefully be able to borrow a demo model of each brand to compare over a day or two at home. If I can work NAD or Rega in there somehow from another dealer I'd love to do that. I should be able to figure out what sound I prefer as these brands pretty much run the gamut, don't they?

It'll be fun and I can wait to do the comparison, but money is too tight right now and will be for the forseeable future. Of course by that time there will be new models from each manufacturer, but I'll still consider the same brands at whatever falls into about the $800-1,000 range, give or take a few hundred dollars. And of course I'll post here when I do it.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2364
On a side note, I'm not too keen on Marantz's new styling.

They've dropped the gold logo, the units are considerably smaller, and I don't care for that blue light source selector thingamajig.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3564
Chris,

Funny that, I like the Marantz styling and they seem to be finished to a very good standard for the money.

Dan, in my opinion, the Arcam A18 is far better than the Marantz for not much more money (but who knows what the prices are where you are).

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2365
I don't doubt the quality for a second, I just prefer the older styling.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Frank, I wouldn't be shocked if I end up with the Arcam A18 (or A28) to go with my DV135 player.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3572
The A28 is in a different league. It's a very capable amplifier indeed and my tip for best value product in the Arcam range. It seems incredibly powerful to me, much more than you'd expect for the price, and yet has very good audio quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us