XM Radio Sound Quality

Bronze Member
Username: Sarius

Post Number: 11
My tuner just died and in looking for a replacement I noticed the Marantx ST-7001 which offers XM in addition to the usual AM/FM. This is for my Parasound/Thiel system so I'm looking for decent sound quality.

Looking at the XM website I see that it features CT-aacPlus audio encoding with Neural Audio optimization which uses a "stereo transcoder" algorithm. Like Wow, sounds like it was created by ex-high end cable designers. I wonder if it aligns quantum flux too?

They do claim that it offers "superior sound quality remarkably close to Compact Disc". I'm very impressed by the 'remarkably close' claim.

I do like the idea of having a lot of commercial/yak yak free music to listen to, if the sound quality is indeed decent, but my system is unforgiving of poor sources.

So my question to the forum to anyone who has been using XM at home through a good system. How good is the sound actually?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 145
Think of MP3s at 32kb/s. Not all that 'remarkably close' IMHO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ah.. so close when compared to, say, 8-Track tape is what you're saying?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8797
Yes, the algorithm is similar to what is used for MP3's and MiniDisc. Masking is relied upon to remove bits of information you "don't hear". M-Peg type stuff.

The sound quality is reasonable for both XM and Sirius. Dish Network offres Sirius music channels as a part of their midline package of channels. For use while doing other things around the house, the quality is sufficient. It is not really what you want to sit down and listen to, however.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks (as always) Jan

Do you know anything about the Marantx ST-7001 as compared with other tuners in its range. I do have some very good Jazz/Blues and Classical stations local to me.

As I need a new tuner anyhow, what I was thinking the value of XM in addition to the FM would be the background music, as you point out, and as my tastes are somewhat eclectic, being able to sample different styles and generas easily given the broad variety that they broadcast.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8803

XM should allow for that use. Sorry, I don't know the Marantz tuner you've mentioned. Separate tuners never sold well in the US and certainly not outside the FM rich NorthEast section of the country. Many manufacturers don't even release separate tuners in the US any longer. I can't say I'm a fan of digital tuners and would tell you to search out a good analog design from no later than the early 1980's. You are free to ignore that suggestion, of course.

Bronze Member
Username: Nyc_brother

Post Number: 12
Can someone get XM radio for free? Any bin for xm radio?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8807

Isn't that stealing? Morally wrong? Just down right cheap, XM doesn't cost that much.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3258
Sure JT.
Just steal the little tuner thingy, then steal a credit card to prepay 3 yrs service and fence the stolen credit card to an online card number dealer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks Everyone,

I've decided that XM wouldn't be worth it at home.

Username: Jcc3

Post Number: 5
Belasarius

Check out the Jolida ( I am a customer not affiliated with Jolida at all)

http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd402a.shtml

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 754
XM & Sirius both sound crumby, like bad MP3s, dead, lifeless. The attraction to me is the programming. Either is good for non-critical listening, like offices & cocktail parties.

I owned both, I stuck with XM because I'm a baseball junkie, plus I've been on a Dylan bender the last few years, and wanted to listen to his Theme Time Radio show (which is getting kind of old, IMHO). I also enjoy listen to channels that dig deep into musical genres and turn me on to music I might not otherwise listen to. When I do find something I like, I'm never content until I get a "hard-copy".

Consider: Much of the XM programming (including Dylan's show) is available FREE on AOL Radio, which itself has some great programming, like a channel dedicated to rock cover songs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us